1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looking forward to whenever the sequel comes out.

Reeko likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Starting point varies by sport. For example, for the most part, black people weren't given nearly as many opportunities at QB even 15-20 years ago. They were looked at more as WR and RB types rather than "smart, analytical" players that could properly survey the field, etc. Even today, you have the racist BobbyTheGreat types that critique black NFL QB's differently than white ones. They are finally being given more chances by smart NFL - and especially college - leadership, but that wasn't the case a generation ago. You could say the same about minorities in the coaching profession too until recent years, especially at the college level.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You can’t cherry pick positions and claim no opportunity for minorities. Specifically when NFL is majority black players.
    Unless you are saying you only want black players, which in turn is a little hypocritical.

4. Major

Major Member

Nonsense. I'm not looking at end results. I'm looking at opportunties created. It's well-documented that black athletes weren't looked at QBs, going all the way to peewee football, many years ago. If the coach looks at the black kid and only puts him at WR or RB, that's a lack of opportunities for the black kid that might have been able to be a QB but wasn't fast enough or big enough to be a WR or RB.

Look at baseball today - you have minorities and white people playing all different positions. No one is really being denied opportunities. Same thing in football. But it wasn't that way even 20 years ago - black people were welcome, as long as they stayed in their lanes and did the things the coaches thought they were capable of. It's weird that people are pushing back on this - the NFL QB and coach thing is pretty much openly and widely accepted that this was the case. The NFL *still* has a Rooney rule (which has been phenomenally successful) just to get minorities opportunities to interview, and not surprisingly, once the black coaches got opportunities to interview, they started getting jobs, and then they started doing as well as the white coaches. But prior to that, head coaches were white because that's how it was, and black coaches weren't even given opportunities to interview.

Similarly, today, minority actors have no problem getting specific roles. Middle Eastern actors, for example, have no problem being cast as terrorists. But they aren't always given the same opportunities with other roles - not for any reason except that it's different and people don't think it'll work. That's why these various women / black / asian movies are big deals for those groups. It's breaking barriers and gives them the opportunity to "normalize" paths that have been blocked in the past by showing that it works just fine.

Reeko and FLASH21 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, if you’re starting at 60 maybe 50 years ago I could see your point. We’ll just agree to disagree on the rest. And if you want to talk about pigeon hole a specific ethnic group to specific positions, why aren’t there more white athletes at skill positions?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

you remember that once scene when zuri gets stabbed and dies? that was cool too.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's coming out on Netflix soon

Reeko likes this.
  8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good question. Why aren’t there more white Antonio Brown’s, Odell Beckham’s, DeAndre Hopkins’, and Le’Veon Bell’s?

I guess the world will never know.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Loooool.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

On my birthday, wuttup! Iron Fist Season 2 on the 7th (better be better than S1...)

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Or black; Julian Edelman's, Danny Amendola's, Wes Welker's, Adam Theilen's, Rex Burkhead's, Eric Decker's or Danny Woodhead's....

#691 FLASH21, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I always thought it was odd that there aren't more Black Danny Woodheads...

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

it would be hard to be worse

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wonder Woman is easily the best thing DC has going for it right now

Rocket River likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ain't that the truth. I was so disappointed. The stuff they've shown from S2 looks vastly improved.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

interesting...I honestly had no idea that S2 was coming out so soon, I hadn’t heard anything about it

I’m about to check out the trailers to see what’s up

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah they certainly screwed up the roll out, but his character seemed much improved when he made his cameo in Luke Cage. Honestly they should keep the 2 of them together, neither character is strong enough to carry their own series. With Luke Cage, his surrounding cast made season 2 of his show leaps and bounds better than season 1 and I think they need to do the same with Iron Fist. Of those on Netflix, only Daredevil and maybe Punisher can carry a show by himself.

Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist should just do Heroes for Hire and be in a series together.