1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Blade is half vampire, half human. Thus the ability to day walk, and literally the ENTIRE premise for the first movie. The vampires want to capture him so that they can experiment on him so they too can day walk.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Most of his enemies literally call him "daywalker" during the whole trilogy. Blade is much cooler character than BP imo, but in the grand scope of things, BP is definitely more prominent in the MU. I believe he even wields the Infinity Gauntlet in Secret Wars.

Blurr#7 and daywalker02 like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m not going to trash black panther, I thought it was one of the better marvel movies. I just don’t think it was the greatest thing ever like I was lead to believe going into the movie.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You caught me sleeping, being lezy on a tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#644 daywalker02, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  5. Svpernaut

That's oversimplifying it a bit. It can certainly be interesting if it pertains to the story, and Black Panther did a decent job of framing the story around Africa. An entire subplot of the movie was about their struggle to figure out if they should help their fellow Africans outside of Africa, or should they stay secluded?

The same goes for Wonder Woman, she comes from an Island of all women where she is told that all men are evil, but she then learns the opposite. There can be a good balance with those tones.

Obviously, it can quickly turn to pandering if not held in check, but I think both movies had a good balance of that. The cultural significance of Black Panther wasn't because of the characters, but because African Americans had a hero that showed off some of their heritage, even if it was embellished for story effect.

Think of it like a Scottish American watching Braveheart for the first time, or a Jewish American watching the Pianist. They'll likely have a more emotional investment than the average viewer, and that's okay.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wife finally watched this over the weekend, and had a similar reaction to Killmonger as me. She has military men in her family including special forces guys, and she noted that the cocky street attitude gets squished out of them pretty quick. The whole 'nah dawg' thing Killmonger had going was incongruous with his military background. He could have still had the whole 'free our people' goal and would have been 100x more badass if he was a hardcore military type. More believable in beating BP the first round, too. She liked the rest of it.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He was more spy than straight military.
    His ability to enact and maintain a persona was a part of his training

Rocket River

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Wakanda is still alive and well and I think Shuri has the potential to be an amazing character. I believe it was one of the producers who said she is the smartest human in the MCU. The Wakandans will play a big role going forward. I thought Black Panther the movie was a middle of the road MCU movie. The vibe did remind me of a Braveheart type feel in terms of pride, but I felt they could have done a lot more with the characters. That said the first Thor wasn't amazing either, but they have done a great job developing Thor and everyone around him.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Black Panther was way better than any Thor movie not named Ragnarok, but I get your point.

Killatron 2000 and Blurr#7 like this.
  10. Xerobull

That's -really- weak given how they explained him in a few lines in the movie.

juicystream likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know if I ever posted my opinion in here, but it was a very meh movie to me as well. The hype certainly didn't help. Thought it was a bit heavy on political messaging (despite being in agreement with it). Jordan at times seemed like a badass character, but at other times just a little crybaby. The one character I really liked was BP's sister. We'll see how the next 2 movies go.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His job was infiltration and destabilization
    Per the CIA guy . . . .so I took that to mean adaptability was his thing

Rocket River

13. Xerobull

I guess the biggest rub is that the guy didn't come across as a professional. I know some special ops guys and they do not mess around.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think she might take the mantle of Iron Man. I don't like her bratty personality. She played a whiz in a Black Mirror episode, without being bratty, THAT character I liked.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Virtually every branch of my family including my mother/father/both grandfathers were in the military, I didn't have a problem with the way Killmonger was portrayed. I didn't find him "unbelievable" either.

I'm not trying to defend every aspect of the movie because it wasn't perfect -- it certainly has higher scores than the movie probably deserves -- I just didn't have a problem with specifically what you had an issue with.

Obito and Killatron 2000 like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The point I was trying to make is this was a movie about vampires. The population of America doesn't matter. "An accurate portrayal" of America is silly when it comes to putting more black people in a film not on the continent of Africa.

People always have that 13% of America is black in their back pocket when it comes to casting fictional movies and TV. It's silly.

#657 DreamShook, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...........why bother.......

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You really shouldn't bother because you aren't capable of doing so intelligently.

Others won't bother because what I said was completely accurate.

20. Svpernaut

You think it is silly because it doesn't fit your narrative. The controversies with things like "Oscars So White" actually hurt the cause more than they help it, because it makes future decisions to include more blacks feel like pandering. Meanwhile, as I said, Asian Americans (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, etc.) and Hispanic Americans are still getting screwed over even though their populations have eclipsed African Americans.

Why don't people make the same argument with sports? The majority of athletes in the NBA and NFL are black, and the MLB will soon be primarily Hispanic, so why don't we give their spots to others under represented? Because they are the best one for that job. It is no different with art, because art is a byproduct of our environment - and to try and change that unnaturally all in the name of "inclusion" does an extreme disservice to the art, and our society as a whole.

There is plenty of acting work to go around, and the color of your skin should have nothing to do with casting, unless the story calls for it. Like with our society, over time, portrayals in media will continue to get more racial ambiguous, if we allow it to happen naturally. Forcing it, slows that process. The effort for "inclusion for all" is a very slippery slope.

Harrison Bergeron is on this very subject.