1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

@JayZ750 mentioned about 30 pages back that he read an early pre-screening review referring to the movie as a "cultural phenomenon". Well that's exactly how it went down. Good, but not great - fair enough. But a cultural phenomenon nonetheless.

Deuce likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good point.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

100% a cultural phenomenon. The world finally got a black super hero, only to have him killed off 5 months later. Spoiler alert.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I guess you've never seen Blade.
    I think his death was really impactful, I didn't see it coming at all. T'Challa will be fine.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I agree, the love and adoration was mainly due to the cultural significance. The same thing happened with Wonder Woman, women finally got the heroine they thought they deserved, as all of the Marvel females have played second fiddle thus far.

And likely every character "offed" in Infinity War will return, which is one reason I hated the movie so much. They made it so blatantly obvious by killing off so many key characters, there was no fear of dread that you may have just watched one of your beloved characters die.

The fact that Blade doesn't get the love it deserves continually pisses me off. It is the single movie that restarted the superhero craze. The only reason I guess it doesn't get the praise it deserves, is that I am not sure the average movie-goer even realized it was a comic book movie, they just thought it was a vampire movie.

K mf G and Jontro like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He does. Blade 2 is considered one of the best superhero movies ever. Made $155mil off a $55mill budget. It's more about Blade (Steel and Spawn too) being a Black guy in movie filled with white people. His blackness has no cultural significance to the story. There is a reason movie execs were trying to get away with white-washing the character.

Blade, Steel, and Spawn were tokens in their own movies.

#626 DreamShook, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. Svpernaut

I guess we watched different versions of Blade, because he wasn't a token black guy in the movies I saw. Only about 13% of the country is black, how is having a film full of black people not based in Africa, an accurate portrayal?

I am all for black people being able to celebrate their heritage, and I'm glad they got the Black Panther movie they deserve, but to say that that there isn't a representation of blacks in film is an argument I can't stand - and saying that having a "token black guy" is ridiculous, it is demographically accurate in most situations and stories. Asians and Hispanics have a lot more to complain about in that regard.

#627 Svpernaut, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. theimpossibles1

You're doing it wrong, jackass.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Svpernaut likes this.
  10. Svpernaut

A lot of the critical acclaim for Black Panther was based solely on the cultural significance. For all intents and purposes, it was a good movie with a decent story but a rather meaningless villain. I truly understand and appreciate the cultural significance, but it's bloated success can't be overlooked.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good comic book movie (I gave it a 7/10), especially for Marvel (I have it in the 6th best Marvel Movie), but it's gushing universal praise is pretty silly. I felt the same way about Wonder Woman. it was a good movie too, but not the masterpiece it was sold to be. The cultural significance of both was a huge reason for their bump.

Deuce likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If you want to cherry pick lists to make a point that's fine. I can find plenty of lists where Blade 1 or 2 is in the top 30 to 50. When the Superhero Movie Lexicon references the Blade franchise as the start of the superhero renaissance it gets the respect it deserves.

12. Bandwagoner

I picked the top three google results. Show me yours and the methodology you picked them with.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I thought blade was a vampire movie

Svpernaut likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Pass. I'm not going to type a thesis to prove to you why Blade gets the appropriate amount of respect. It's a pretty good late 90s franchise that still gets recognized 20 years later as one of the best superhero movies made.. What else do you want? Blade consistently makes the lists.

Google "Super Hero Rankings" like you did before.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we still talking about Black Panther? It was nothing more than a mediocre comic book movie based on Marvel standards. Pretty easily forgettable really, kind of like the first Captain America or the 2nd Thor movie. .

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Are we still talking about a Black Vampire that walks in daylight? That isn't even an accurate portrayal of a vampire.

17. Bandwagoner

After doing that I stopped at first three because they are typically very long lists that require clicking through several pages. I just wanted to know who considers it "one of the best" because I didn't find any evidence.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not a vampire, he's the daywalker.

daywalker02 and Svpernaut like this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

only reason they made that movie is so @daywalker02 breh can create his cf account. and yes, he is also black.

daywalker02, Obito and Bobbythegreat like this.
  20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

ethnicity and gender are some of the least interesting aspects of a character. If ethnicity is suppose to be the selling point for Blank Panther, then it must be a horrible character. Thought they could of done a lot more with the material, but they just did generic beat up bad guy story.