1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well exactly. By "those people" of course I mean the people of an extreme isolationist country with a primitive system of government.

All of human history tells us that "those people" wouldn't be coming up with technological advances due to their primitive system of government and extreme isolationist policies. Those have always been barriers to advancement. Just look at what those types of policies did to Japan, a country full of people who are now VERY tech savvy after ditching those things holding them back.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Imo, Wakanda tech isn't really that far advanced vs Tony Stark, Batman, 007 and some tech in X-Men...anything super-special is from experimenting with Vibranium properties. If a couple generations of Tony Starks, or scientists in Batman and 007 labs, had access to experimenting with it, they'd figure out novel ways to use its properties, too.

It's not just a stronger metal, it has many other advanced properties vs Copper, Tin and Iron.

Maybe you're having trouble allowing Wakanda to have millennia of scientific experiementation, or believing anyone could be as smart as Tony Stark to provide extreme breakthroughs in the last few centuries, like we did after the Renaissance. I have no problem with that Fiction. It's beautiful and was perfectly set up in the movie...via their Batman-esque and 007 science labs.

It completely makes sense to me that the first humans to discover and experiment with that resource, and well before any Bronze Age, would have a much more extreme arc of invention over 5-10,000 years than other humans who don't enter their Bronze Age for millennia after....combined with a natural acceleration of progress in the last centuries.

Plus, I just don't see the difference from a Sci-Fi perspective between alien species and us, other than they have a head start and better resources. That's all that happened in Wakanda.

No different than the Klingons. Monarchies and Empires aren't primitive. They can achieve a lot.

#502 heypartner, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhino be hero!

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

guess not...I will point out that Suicide Squad sucked tho

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly my problem with it. Extreme isolationism and backwards political systems absolutely kill scientific progress. I keep going back to the Japanese, but they were first introduced to gunpowder in the 13th century and were a seagoing people always but due to the policy of extreme isolationism that only really lasted from 1641 to 1853 when Matthew Perry showed up with his fleet of gunboats in 1853 he might as well have been flying in with a UFO.

You give me a civilization that had those kind of isolationist policies for untold thousands of years or whatever and you'd have a civilization ridiculously behind the level that the rest of the world was at.

Not if they were isolated from the rest of the world. Now sure, they'd be the best at working with that resource, and they'd probably make some really awesome swords, spears, and shields, but I see no reason why that isolated civilization would ever invent technology beyond that.[/QUOTE]

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Independence Day when you can just upload a virus and take down the Alien Mothership?

7. PhiSlammaJamma

What happens when the Flash vibrates next to vibranium? Can he destroy it? Or does the Vibranium absorb all of the vibrating?

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Why did the Wakandans allow the vibranium artifact to be in the museum, and how did Claw find out about it?

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think they mentioned they didn't know it existed until Killmonger found it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DC is generally more ridiculously OP with their plot devices so "because speed force" would probably win out over "because vibranium" but you never know.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He cannot vibrate through it.
    The vibrainium would absord the force and send it back against him

Rocket River

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm guessing they didn't know (otherwise they would have retrieved it), and does it really matter? I'm with you, I like to ask random questions too but I don't think either of those would really affect the events that took place afterward.

With that said I mean there's definitely bits of vibranium floating around other than Wakanda (see: Cap's shield, the museum artifact, the vibranium used in Age of Ultron, etc). Other than the vibranium that was clearly stolen from Wakanda in AoU, I write them off as random shards that ended up in other places after the main meteor crash in Wakanda.

I'm also guessing there's other meteors that have vibranium floating around in the cosmos also, we could have gotten trace amounts elsewhere. That's my rationalization anyway.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Are we talking about technological advances in a made up world?

Weirdos

Deuce, K LoLo, KingCheetah and 8 others like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Since earth is the center of gods creation Star Wars couldn’t exist.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Reeko likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I enjoyed it but at this point it's getting overrated. BP was good but can't compete with DK the goat, GOTG 1 or 2, Deadpool, Logan, Iron Man 1, etc... But it's definitely sort of the best of the rest.

17. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Took awhile to see this due to some things coming up in real life.

Wow, I really wanted to love this but came away disappointed. Loved the endangered rhinos the best, that they were keeping them alive and that they were using them for combat (although I have to admit its a childish sort of thing).
    The acting, the dialogue, the jokes, just not good.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure why, but neither GoTG's moved my needle. Deadpool isn't my speed either. I liked this one better than both. Iron Man still might be my favorite MCU film, one of the few pre-Disneys. DK - def on another level.

ferrari77 likes this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Deadpool is just so different and the fact that it mocks other superhero films like BP is hilarious to me. GoTG are straight up comedies that happen to have superheroes which is why I think I enjoyed them so much. Other super hero films struggle to find that funny serious mix and they can get cringy at times. Like the world is ending or someone just died and the writers can't help but throw in a quick one-liner for a cheap laugh. GoTG characters are so funny through the film they can pull it off unlike some other films.

Forget best super hero movie, DK might be best movie of the decade for me. Logan, so depressing, dark, heavy, and bloody for me was similar. Great movies for different reasons.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ragnorak's comedy and tone definitely spoke to me.