1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Martina Hingis tests positive for coke; retires

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Hunted, Nov 1, 2007.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Weird story

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3089841

ZURICH, Switzerland -- Martina Hingis said Thursday she has been accused of testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon, and then announced her retirement from professional tennis.

Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion and former Wimbledon winner, denied using cocaine.

Hingis Statement

Statement released by Martina Hingis (through her agent) in response to testing positive for cocaine during Wimbledon this year: Statement

"I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided to confront it head on by talking to the press," she said. "I am frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely 100 percent innocent."

The 27-year-old Swiss player lost in the third round at Wimbledon to Laura Granville, 6-4, 6-2.

Hingis returned to the sport two years ago after a four-year absence because of injuries.

She won three straight Australian Open titles from 1997-99, and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open championships in 1997.

Hingis, who lost in the third round of the U.S. Open, hasn't played since her second-round loss to Peng Shuai of China, 7-5, 6-1, in Beijing on Sept. 19.

Hingis said she was accused by "an outsource testing company" of taking cocaine during Wimbledon. She said she was "shocked and appalled" when notified that her urine sample came back positive after the loss to Granville.

"They say that cocaine increases self-confidence and creates a type of euphoria," she said in a statement. "I don't know. I only know that if I were to try to hit the ball while in any state of euphoria, it simply wouldn't work.

"I would think that it would be impossible for anyone to maintain the coordination required to play top class tennis while under the influence of drugs. And I know one other thing -- I would personally be terrified of taking drugs."

Hingis said she later underwent a privately arranged hair test which came back negative for cocaine. The official backup "B" sample test on her Wimbledon urine sample, however, tested positive for the drug.

Hingis said she hired an attorney who found "various inconsistencies" with the urine sample taken during Wimbledon.

"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me," she said.

Hingis said it could take years to fight her case and decided it was time to retire.

"I have no desire to spend the next several years of my life reduced to fighting against the doping officials," she said. "The fact is that it is more and more difficult for me, physically, to keep playing at the top of the game.

"And frankly, accusations such as these don't exactly provide me with motivation to even make another attempt to do so."

WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott said the tour had not received any official information about a positive test and "as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter."

"However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise," Scott said.

Referring to her retirement, he said, "Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game."

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

... she said, sniffing back her emotions, or something...

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It was probably just poppy seeds.

[​IMG]

4. surrender

surrender Member

I'd hit it

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

oooh Tina! :(

6. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I find this news hard to believe.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Several years ago, my wife and I walked right past her in Paris at a perfume store on the Champs Elysee the day before she bombed out in the French Open final against an over the hill Steffi Graf. Little Swiss Miss was never the same after that.

8. Asian Sensation

How awesome would it be to party with Hingis. It's always the quiet, innocent, reserved looking ones you gotta watch out for. Hingis doing blow? Almost to good to be true.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm confused here. So... is she really POSITIVEly taking coke, maybe... but were the tests CONCLUSIVE enough to say that she did? :confused:

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I'm glad I didn't have to retire...

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

That's a double(s) team I wouldn't mind getting beat by.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Looks like Anna is checking for residue under that nose...

"Naw, Honey. You're cool. How 'bout me?"

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Such a shame....

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. thats funny.

and to whoever said its always the shy, reserved ones ... Thats not even remotely Hingis' persona.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lol, Hingis likes to party.

Do the Tennis overlords actually think coke adds a competitive advantage?

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

LOL, for some reason I just got a chuckle out of "tennis overlords"

So menacing soundingl :D

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

though its a stimulant the 'Tennis overlords' probably don't view it as a performance enhancer ... just a black eye for a very PR based drug policy.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd hit it...oh wait...

That sux...I guess I can't imagine someone putting their career at risk for something like that, but it happens everyday...

20. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

thats one cokehead i would do