1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Mariota back in play?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He's #1 worthy.

3. platypus

platypus Member

He runs a spread offense, seems to have suspect vision and deep ball accuracy. He is also not as poised as Bridgewater.

Physically he is the better prospect, but skill-wise i would go with teddy.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Teddy is a better qb

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't he choke in two straight years against Stanford. I'm not as high on him as Bridgewater.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I thought it's been Teddy as the popular opinion #1 QB even before MM was out of the question.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think Mariota was seen as having a higher upside. Teddy is a safer pick.

8. showa13

showa13 Member

Teddy has higher floor, Mariota has higer ceiling

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Teddy is a shower, Mariota is a grower.

1 person likes this.
  10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He didn't choke the second time. His knee didn't allow him to run or move in the pocket which took away a big part of his game.

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Not sure which game(s) you watched to come to that conclusion, but Mariota's MO is his poise. I've rarely seen him get rattled.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Pretty much. If only we could have Bridgewater's skillset in Mariota's body. That would be the kind of QB you take #1.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What's leading people to say that Mariota gets rattled easily? Admittedly, I haven't watched a TREMENDOUS amount of games from him, but the ones I have seen, he seems pretty poised.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Swing for the fences, tell him you'll draft him #1 overall. If he busts, we can blame the sports gods like we always do.

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it possible that we asked for the evaluation for insurance purposes? He might be about to change his mind, but he might also be thinking of insuring himself in case of a devastating career altering injury. Just wondering.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Definitely beware of physically. Looking like an ideal QB is what Blaine Gabbert drafted so high.

Not that they are similar, but I'd go with on the field results rather than looks any day. Personally I'd have too many questions about either to take them #1.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's why the combine can be the great equalizer... bridges the gap between game highlight film (against largely inferior teams), and basic height/weight/wing-span stats on paper.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Either you can play or not. If anything the combine jacks up the guys who have no football skills.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With the amount of talent disparity amongst the various conferences, and a sport that's as team-oriented as any (i.e. - individual stellar performances usually have a "team" factor), there needs to be a standardized way of evaluating players.

My vote would be to have combine teams play real football games in a mini winter/spring league... or simulate real game situations against actual NFL defenses... but they don't allow those sort of things.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would still like for him to enter the draft. For one it gives us an extra trade-down scenario if the Texans like him nearly or as much as Teddy. For another, you never know what may happen between now and the draft in terms of prospect movement. In the end, more choices is always better.