1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marco Rubio: Women with Zika Should not be Allowed to have Abortions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't be against abortion and against family planning - it makes no sense.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Is there a moral/ethical/legal difference between aborting a fetus and having the child as a ward of the state? But that ward that is boarded, educated, and join a state labor force or military force, etc... for a period of time (until 17-19 y/o) before graduating and entering society with experience, education, skills, etc...

You could argue my "Orwellian Orphanage" does better for our society and the individual because at least the individual gets to live a life, a contributing one at that. It does so without removing woman's power and while only temporarily removing the orphans but while giving them other assets in return like education, skills, experience, etc...

So I ask again, is there really any difference? Be open minded before answering.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, that's one of the most bizarre and wildly inaccurate statements I've read in a long time.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Don't worry: I'm sure Rubio and his friends intend to adopt some of these zika babies and use their wealth to raise them as God's children deserve.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes there is a lot of difference. The first is the basic question underlying the issue of abortion is that most of those on the pro-choice side don't consider a fetus to be a life. So at most we're talking about potential life.

Leaving that argument aside it's frankly a bad idea to have the state raise children. Given that there are political and ideological divides in this country the state raising millions of children will spark massive political and cultural turmoil. Consider the debates about should we raise the children with a religion and if so which religion and even which denomination? Further as wards of the state raised by the state there is always going to be suspicion by the party of out of power that these children are being indoctrinated with the ideology of the majority party.

Also that you will require them to serve a term on a state labor force or the military consider what it means to have people who only by accident of birth are forced into service with no choice of their own.

Even without those philosophical issues there are still a host of practical problems such as how are these orphanages paid for, where are the located (there is going to be a lot NIMBY over having wards of the state living next door) and etc..

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

fair points you raise but it reinforces my point. look at the challenges you listed, political/ideology divide, political/cultural turmoil, potential corruption, lack of choice, who pays, etc...

every single on of those challenges/arguments you listed are no different than the topics discussed right now on pro-choice. there literally is no difference in the challenges faced. let's examine,

political/ideology divide - obvious check across the board
    political/cultural turmoil - obvious check too, including some domestic terrorism
    potential corruption - check both sides from selling body parts to punishing legal clinics
    lack of choice - the sticking point check. huge disagreement on who's choice it is.
    who pays = check, PP is federal/state funded but who pays for pro-choice is hotly debated. more opportunity for corruption as well.

and that was exactly my point. change the subject matter and we're still arguing the same points. so why not find the common ground. one side says, we don't want you all killing babies, the other side says it's my choice if i want a kid or not. middle ground, no killing but not your responsibility. rebuild segments of society that are undeserved while creating an amazing, diverse, contributing, labor & society force that will pay in way more than they took out. an option like this shouldn't be taboo because there really is no difference (superficial if there are) and that's my point.