1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana less cancerous than tobacco

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

mar1juana less cancerous than tobacco

By STEVE MITCHELL
    Senior Medical Correspondent

WASHINGTON, Oct. 17 (UPI) -- mar1juana is less carcinogenic than tobacco smoke and may even have some anti-cancer properties, new research suggests.

Robert Melamede, chair of biology at the University of Colorado in Boulder, reviewed studies of the illicit drug and published his findings in the Oct. 17 issue of Harm Reduction Journal.

Melamede's conclusion is certain to factor in the medical-mar1juana debate, because the cancer-causing potential of the drug is one of the reasons often cited by those who oppose legalizing it for medicinal uses. He said he was motivated to investigate the issue because the Drug Enforcement Administration has made the argument that mar1juana has four times the amount of tar contained in tobacco smoke, so it is potentially carcinogenic.

"I said, 'Let's see what's true because the government doesn't have a very good record on telling the truth about cannabis,'" Melamede, who classifies himself as a medical-mar1juana advocate, told United Press International.

He said the studies indicated although mar1juana smoke does contain carcinogens, it does not appear to induce cancer because of its unique pharmacological properties. Lung cancer, for example, is caused by a combination of carcinogens in conjunction with nicotine found in tobacco smoke.

"It's the nicotine that's really the cancer-promoting agent," he explained. "That's absent in mar1juana smoke so you don't have that enhancing factor."

Studies to date have not linked mar1juana smoking with the lung, colon, rectal and other cancers associated with tobacco smoking, Melamede said. In addition, other studies have indicated compounds found in cannabis might even kill certain cancers, including lung, breast, prostate and skin, as well as leukemia and lymphoma, and a type of brain cancer called glioma.

"That's not to say smoking mar1juana is good," Melamede noted. It is a lung irritant and can cause respiratory problems, such as coughing. Also, it is full of carcinogens, so "even if it's not causing cancer, it's having negative effects," he said.

One alternative would be to use a vaporizer, rather than smoking, to deliver the mar1juana.

"It should be noted that with the development of vaporizers, that use the respiratory route for the delivery of carcinogen-free cannabis vapors, the carcinogenic potential of smoked cannabis has been largely eliminated," Melamede wrote in the journal.

At least 10 states, including California and Colorado, have moved in the direction of allowing patients to use mar1juana with a doctor's approval. The DEA has attempted to enforce a federal ban on the drug, however, and has arrested patients using it. This policy has discouraged doctors from recommending it for medical use.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last June that the federal prohibition supersedes state laws and the DEA can arrest patients who use the drug.

Karen Tandy, the DEA's administrator, wrote in an article titled, "mar1juana: The Myths Are Killing Us," which appeared in the March issue of Police Chief magazine, that the drug is hazardous to health and does not help patients.

"The scientific and medical communities have determined that smoked mar1juana is a health danger, not a cure," Tandy wrote in the article, which also appears on the DEA Web site. "There is no medical evidence that smoking mar1juana helps patients."

Tandy did not claim mar1juana caused cancer, but she implied it by saying, "mar1juana smoke ... contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into malignant cells."

She also said mar1juana can cause anxiety and depression, particularly in teens. However, a study released last week from Canadian researchers found a synthesized version of a mar1juana compound actually promotes development of new brain cells in rats, and this in turn was accompanied by a reduction in anxiety and depression.

Other risks of mar1juana cited by Tandy included impaired cognitive function, such as short-term problems with perception and memory.

Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of mar1juana Laws, told UPI that Tandy's assertions "run up against the known science," which indicate the toxicity of the drug is minimal.

"While not harmless, mar1juana comes very close to being benign when compared to other prescription drugs," St. Pierre said.

He noted that Dr. Tod Mikuriya, a psychiatrist in El Cerrito, Calif., had conducted a study with medical-mar1juana patients and did not find evidence they developed cognitive impairments, paranoia, anxiety or other mental problems after they began using the drug.

"The government has insisted there are no pros and there are only cons of mar1juana, but this is totally lacking in science and totally lacking in any realistic credibility," Melamede said.

He predicted medical mar1juana ultimately will be permitted in the United States.

"It's unavoidable that it will eventually triumph because it works," he said. "The government is lying and it will eventually win out in the end. It's just a matter of how many people have to suffer between now and then."

http://www.upi.com/HealthBusiness/view.php?StoryID=20051017-053500-7215r

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

But good luck trying to get Big Tobacco in trouble.

It's easier to pick on those that don't donate campaign contributions.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Been a while, Andy. :)
    Vaporizers as a delivery system? Did I read that correctly??

Keep D&D Civil.

4. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I've really never understood why our country is so hung up on mar1juana. They've legalized it in other countries with little or no detriment to society (certainly no cost that exceeds the toll the war on drugs take). There's plenty of credible evidence that it has strong medicinal potential. And, for the love of god, how has corporate America not stepped in? 13 cigarette companies already have pre-trademarked potential names for mar1juana cigarettes should they become legal. Why haven't their lobbiers stepped in and gotten the job done?

Oh wait, I forgot. If you smoke mar1juana you will run over little kids at drive-thrus, shoot your friend with his father's handgun, watch tv while the kid you're baby-sitting drowns, forget to pick up your little brother from little league practice, become a junkie w****, sit in your basement and be a failure, and oh yeah, support terrorists.

I can't believe that America is actually this stupid. My favorite ad is where the little boy is sititng there with a birthday hat and is sad that his big brother didn't come to his birthday party. This is even more unbelievable than the stoner stomping on the accelerator at the drive-thru. The ad actually expects you to believe that someone who is high would KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY skip a function where cake AND ice cream are GUARANTEED to be served. Un-friggin' believable. If I was high I would be wiling to show up at a party where there MIGHT be cake, but if I KNEW there would be there is no way I wouldn't be there.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

In other news, bullets are less lethal than poison darts.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How about the one where the kid skips dinner with his grandmother because he was high. Are you kidding me? A home cooked meal from grandma? What stoner would pass that up? Trust me...I know!

7. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Mashed potatoes and peach cobbler? Not even the Baseball Furies could keep me from gettin' some of that.

8. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

You guys are cool. Drugs are fun. :rolleyes:

9. GladiatoRowdy

Of course, using either to kill someone is illegal, which makes your "analogy" totally moot in this conversation given that the government apparently thinks that it is OK for tobacco to be regulated whereas mar1juana, a drug that is far less dangerous, is prohibited.

Nice try, rookie.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL - swing and a miss for andymoon. My analogy stands. All things mentioned are harmful to varying degrees.

11. GladiatoRowdy

I can only take your rolleyes to indicate that you are on the pro-prohibition side of things. I would never go out and espouse anyone using drugs since they will limit your potential, distract you from the things that are truly important, and could very well kill you if you aren't careful.

However, none of that changes the fact that prohibition is a ham fisted, ineffective way of dealing with a problem that could be solved for the most part if we used an education and health care based approach.

I have never seen you post on this topic before, but just so that we can be on the same page when discussing this topic, here is a thread where I was pretty clear about what I want and why I want it.

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Why is mar1juana illegal in the USA? Are you kidding me? The answer is simple: 'legal' drug companies don't want such a cheap competition for their high-cost products, it might bankrupt some of their costly 'pain' medicines.

Also, the FDA and the DEA are government arms of Big Pharmaceuticals ;)

13. GladiatoRowdy

Harmful, yes.

However, your examples also implied behavior in which one person harms another (murder by gun or poison dart) and your examples are both treated the same way in the eyes of the law. Murder by poison dart and murder by firearm are not treated differently in the criminal code, at least not as far as I am aware.

In the tobacco versus mar1juana argument, there is a clear difference in the legality of the substances in question despite the fact that the more dangerous substance is legal while the less toxic substance is prohibited.

In your world, was Burke's home run the other night a "swing and a miss?"

To quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

14. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I think that the world's artists would disagree with you (except about the killing part). If it weren't for mar1juana how would we get classics like Half Baked or Sublime's self-titled album (granted, heroin was also involved). As George Clinton said, free you rmind and your ass will follow.

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"
    :)

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think some words of wisdom from the late bill hicks would be appropriate...

No, I don't do drugs anymore, either. But I'll tell you something about drugs. I used to do drugs, but I'll tell you something honestly about drugs, honestly, and I know it's not a very popular idea, you don't hear it very often anymore, but it is the truth: I had a great time doing drugs. Sorry. Never murdered anyone, never robbed anyone, never raped anyone, never beat anyone, never lost a job, a car, a house, a wife or kids, laughed my ass off, and went about my day.

They lie about mar1juana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There is a difference.

If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few songs.

I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is ****ing IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument.

Why is mar1juana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural? You know what I mean? It's nature. How do you make nature against the ****ing law?

Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about p*rnography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I ****, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Some Aggie genius needs to clone nicotine into a pot plant or THC into tobacco...then Texas farmers can be as rich as Croesus and we can tax the crap out of them.

17. GladiatoRowdy

Drugs have the potential to do all of the things that I mentioned. It is not guaranteed that they will, but they all have that potential.

I will also not argue that drugs cannot have a net positive effect, but to deny that drugs can be very destructive is to ignore a significant reality.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

"that's gold Bill, gold!"

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yeah, its like a bong combined with one of those lighters that shoots a jet of flame out (rather than like a normal bic or whatever). basically it burns the pot at a temp that leaves mostly thc smoke while burning up most of the other impurities that would hurt your lungs/throat etc...

or so i've heard... :cool:

Of course, if it was legal it would be cheap enough so people could eat it which has NO carcinogenic or other known bad health effect.

20. GladiatoRowdy

Exactly.

True enough, but oral ingestion takes much longer to process in your body and as such, it makes dosing more difficult and causes the drug to take far longer (90 minutes versus 7 seconds) to take effect. If you care, see this interview for more details.