1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mannix] If Rox get Melo, Lebron could go to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 19, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard cap issues to keep in mind as well though. You could certainly do it though if guys are willing to take paycuts to make the numbers all fit, but if Paul wants his max and Lebron wants the max you could get him for in a S&T and Melo wants...

You get the idea

2. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

First thing first, we can't even get Melo right now.

3. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

lebron for sergio llull and a fture 2nd confirmed!

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Right, you wouldn't be able to max Paul and Carmelo. But we're talking about LeBron... if he wants to come, fairly certain they'd all take "Durant-esque" cuts to make it work.

bilaal14, djperm, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  6. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Chris Mannix just gain a hue fan right here

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Isn't Lebron the GM, he can just trade himself, no?

RyanB and don grahamleone like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've had some great dreams recently. They're only going to get better!

djperm likes this.
  9. justtxyank

You would think so.

Would be ridiculous if it happened. Lebron would find an interesting partner in Morey as Lebron likes a GM that he can bully into paying his mediocre friends and Morey doesn't do that with big dollars.

Plus, imagine how a team would work with those 4 in the lineup goodness.

The Cat likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where is LeBron playing next year?

It's easy to sit here & say the Lakers. It makes some sense. He showed up to the Lakers SL game. Hollywood guy. I don't want to say that. I want to say the Houston Rockets. I think LeBron could wind up there. Keep an eye on this Carmelo Anthony trade if it happens over the next couple of months. If the Rockets can get their hands on Carmelo Anthony, they would have 2 of LeBron James' best friends - Chris Paul & Carmelo Anthony - on the same team. They would have James Harden, who played USA Basketball with Carmelo Anthony. You're telling me those 3 guys wouldn't spend the entire season recruiting LeBron? We just saw this with Draymond Green & Kevin Durant. I think those guys do the same thing.

How does Daryl make this work salary wise?

Someone would have to make a massive paycut. Carmelo is under contract for 2 more years. He can't do it. They just signed James Harden for like a quarter of a billion dollars. He can't do it. They'd have to look to Chris Paul & LeBron. Maybe LeBron says I make all this money off the court. Maybe Chris Paul takes less, though I'm more skeptical. Someone would have to take a massive paycut. That to me is worth watching because of the talent of the guys they have down there.

And you play for Mike D'Antoni, one of the offensive free-flowing innovative minds. Let's assume they get Carmelo. A big thing to watch is where they finish in the standings. Can they get to the Western Conference Finals? I'm telling you, they get to the Western Conference Finals with Melo & that group, it's a wrap. LeBron is going to Houston. He'll look at the Rockets, see all his buddies down there, he'll see a good place to live - a lot of players like to live in that Houston area - and see a chance to win a championship with his friends. You go to the Lakers, maybe you get Paul George but you're still behind the 8-ball. That's a formed team that can compete for a title the next 2-3 years.

So Melo does go to Houston?

I think Melo goes to Houston. They're too far down the rabbit hole to come back & bring Melo back to NY. I know Scott Perry will have a conversation but this has been a poisoned well over the last year. They have had such a nasty relationship with their franchise player over the last few years. I've been told he's made it clear he does not want to be back in New York.

Plowman, bilaal14, RyanB and 7 others like this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

I like that.

No.

I love it.

12. justtxyank

Lebron to Houston is gaining media traction.

What a time to be alive.

BigggReddd, Plowman, bilaal14 and 8 others like this.
  13. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

You would have to certainly get rid of Gordon.
    Ariza would have to come extra cheap which I'm sure he will do.
    LBJ or CP3 would have to take a massive paycut. Maybe even both would have to take a paycut to be able to build a bench.
    If it does happen I see a lineup of:
    CP3
    Harden
    LBJ
    Melo
    Capela
    With Ariza,Tucker, Black and Nene off the bench. Gordon would be traded for smaller contracts and non guarantees to later be cut to make room for other proven players.
    Hopefully by then Isaiah Taylor has developed a jump shot and vets would be more than happy to join.

bilaal14 likes this.
  14. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Pretty sure we'd actually have fans here saying not to do it. "Can't sacrifice our depth for a soon to be 34 year old!"

everyday eddie and The Cat like this.
  16. justtxyank

You probably couldn't keep Capela. He's going to get a big pay increase and if you are signing and trading for Lebron you'll be hard capped.

Lebron/CP3/Melo would probably all have to take paycuts to make any of this work. Melo for example could opt out and re-sign for say $15 million using bird rights. That would give a lot of flexibility.

Would they do this though?

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What's funny is Mannix actually undersells it. Carmelo has a PO... if there's a banana boat scenario, there's absolutely something he can do next June to help facilitate it.

18. justtxyank

Right, not sure how Mannix missed that part.

Melo could opt out and we'd have his bird rights. He could take a paycut right there and that would give us a lot of flexibility. We could offer Melo and Paul a long deal (5 year for Paul) but lower salary to give them long term mega millions that would be ridiculous, but would give us the flexibility to build the super team to take a shot for 2 years before they all declined lol.

djperm and ClutchCitity81 like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Have the Rockets already been paying guys under the table? PJ said he was offered more elsewhere. Black and Luc are playing on cheaper deal than one would expect. CP even took less than he would have to make the trade happen.

ClutchCitity81 likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

The thing no one can fathom when talking about LeBron James on the Rockets....is...trading Harden for him. If you can't fit Lebron any other way and he wants to play here specifically with CP3 and Melo, you have to do it. That'd be something Cleveland would easily accept to get Lebron here. If he just wants to join up here, no way Cleveland will help him get here after burning/ditching them a 2nd time. Just can't see a sign and trade happening unless it involves Harden and i just can't see Lebron fitting into the Cap or taking a realistic enough pay cut with a maxed out CP3 and a Melo big contract + the role players without trading Harden for a signed Lebron at his max.

iconoclastic likes this.