1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Manila Bulletin]NBA stars in awe as 47yr-old Filipino bball legend scores 54

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by vlaurelio, Aug 28, 2010.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLc48eGQj08?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLc48eGQj08?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

By JONAS TERRADO
    August 28, 2010, 7:39pm

Allan Caidic puts on a shooting clinic before a group of NBA stars during the 2010 NBA Asia Challenge late Friday night at the Araneta Coliseum.NBA stars Chris Webber, Gary Payton, Mitch Richmond and Glen Rice watched in awe as that old gunslinger named Allan Caidic shot the lights out at the Araneta Coliseum Friday.

A year after making an impression on the likes of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Dominique Wilkins, Caidic turned the NBA legends into believers, making shots after shots from afar.

The 47-year-old Caidic, now an assistant coach of Barangay Ginebra, erupted for 54 points as the Red Team came out victorious over the White Team, 177-167, in the 2010 NBA Asia Challenge.

In just 24 minutes, the many-time RP team member and 1990 PBA Most Valuable Player converted 14-of-26 from rainbow country as he obliged to almost every passes made by Payton, Rice, D-Leaguers Darnell Lazare and Chris McCray and local teammates.

One of Caidic’s triples came on one of six assists from Payton, who lifted both hands even before he converted the shot.

“It’s fun playing with the PBA players, especially with this guy right here,” described Payton, who was seated next to Caidic during the postgame press conference. “We just kept feeding him and we heard a lot of stories that he is the truth so it was fun.”

“They gave me the ball so I have to shoot it. I’m also open so I have to make it,” Caidic said. “I really prepared for this game and good thing I was able to deliver.”

Caidic actually fell three shy of the PBA record he set on November 21, 1991, unloading 17-of-27 threes and 79 points, an all-time mark for a local, for Tivoli in a 162-149 victory over Ginebra San Miguel. He also made 15 on Nov. 2, 1989 when Presto downed Alaska in overtime, 175-159.

“Watching a guy that really put on a show named ‘Trigger’ was really exciting,” said Rice, who lost to Caidic, 7-5, in a special three-point shooting contest during one lull.

“I was in awe so I think he’s going to come back and sign a two-year contract with San Miguel,” joked former PBA import Richie Frahm, who led the White team with 24 points, sharing top scoring honors with Webber.

“’The Triggerman’ was just incredible,” said Webber, who had 11 boards. “I mean, he shot the ball well and each time we were trying put our hands on each other's face but he still was able to make those shots.”

It was a night to reminisce for most of the fans and even PBA players and officials alike.

Aside from Caidic, there was four-time PBA MVP Alvin Patrimonio bulldozing his way inside over current star Arwind Santos and Vergel Meneses, now a coach of his alma mater JRU in NCAA, showing glimpses of his trademark layups.

The White squad’s Ronnie Magsanoc dishing one of his game-high 14 assists to former Shell teammate Benjie Paras for a medium-range jumper.

Also getting attention was the Red Team’s Atoy Co but only because he kept on missing shots. After so many attempts in the first quarter he was able to make one, unfortunately, it came after the buzzer had sounded.

He later hit his first jumper in the second period and finished with 10 points on a 5-of-21 shooting.

Co, whose missed shots were delivered mostly by Payton, gamely kneeled to the ground at one point, perhaps pleading for consistency from the outside.

“I tell you what, to be in any age to play this game is a blessing and an honor so to see Fortune Cookie (Co) out there shooting and still going and one time is he shot and he was like, “Check up Chris!” and I said ‘Ok!’,” said Webber.

The NBA stars also showed up their trademark moves such as Webber slamming the ball with authority, Rice and Richmond uncorking outside shots and Payton attempting to do those crazy passes like he once did to Shawn Kemp with the Seattle Supersonics.

The scores:
    RED 177 — Caidic 54, Lazare 22, Rice 19, Santos 16, Meneses 16, Maierhofer 15, McCray 11, Co 10, Tenorio 7, Payton 7.
    WHITE 167 — Frahm 24, Webber 24, Tyndale 22, Hontiveros 20, Paras 18, Magsanoc 18, Patrimonio 16, Richmond 16, Tubid 13.
    Quarters: 38-44; 92-94; 124-124; 177-167.

http://mb.com.ph/articles/274593/nba-stars-watch-awe-caidic-fires-54

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just can't get enough of that movie. Inspiring! :)

3. vlaurelio

LOL that was the only video I can find on youtube.. I'll try find something else

4. B-Bob

[FORUM] I blame Obama for NBA stars now allowing some has-been Filipino to drop 54 on them. This is Obama's America. :mad: ... :( [/FORUM]

5. vlaurelio

my bad.. mods please move to DISH or Hangout

6. B-Bob

Don't worry. I like your thread no matter where it is.

If I can still score, in any sense of the word, at age 47, I will think back to this thread and say "hey, the Trigger showed me the way."

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are not 47 yet? :confused:

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob is at least 83 years old.

1 person likes this.
  9. B-Bob

Okay, age police. :mad:

This thread is NOT about me. It's about the amazing Trigger, a true legend, shooting set shots during a geriatric scrimmage game... I think. Who can be Roy Rogers to this Trigger? Not Chris Webber, that's for sure.

[​IMG]

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Bruce

Bruce Member

I've wondered if guys like Caidic and Samboy Lim could have at least grabbed a 10 day in the league.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Richie Frahm sighting!

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The "Trigger Man" is probably the one player the Philippines has closest to Ray Allen in terms of shooting, so no surprise there. He basically shattered the collegiate record for 3's made in a game (15, I think) and continued to hoop it up in the pros. Of course the other facets of his game paled in comparison to his shooting, but everybody loves a lights out shooter :p