1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man being released for crime he didn't commit after 42 years in prison

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

42 years
    They basically took his whole life
    There are no words, no amount of money, nothing they can do to give it back to him

Rocket River

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Horrible. I'm not sure I believe in heaven or hell or even karma. But I sure hope those people get what's coming to them.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

black?...

was unfortunately the first thought that came to mind as soon as I read the op

4. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wow. Yes, he's free, but he'll never have a life. He's been incarcerated for 42 years and he gets out only because he took a deal saying he did it. So, he's still a convicted arsonist and murderer. Can't get a job. Can't get money from the state for being wrongfully convicted. I hope he has family to help him because essentially screwed. I'll never understand the mindset of the current prosecutor that says he did it. She had nothing to do with the case. It has nothing to do with her win/loss record or her abilities as a prosecutor. Why treat this man this way?

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I wouldn't sign ****. It's their way of not getting sued for 42 years of wrongful incarceration. **** them, sue them till they bleed.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Can't he sue them after the fact? He is pretty much being coerced into signing the deal.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we would be surprised and appalled at how many Plea Deals
    are worked out this way

The law hates to admit a mistake . . . ever

Rocket River

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

So sad they have taken this man's life from him.

10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

longest April Fool's joke EVAR.

1 person likes this.
  11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I saw the 60 Minutes piece on this last night. The DA (I think?) had the biggest sh** eating grin the whole time while refusing to reconsider the case. She totally acknowledges the broken logic but won't budge.

Instead of trying to protect prior convictions (my guess as to why they aren't budging) it does the exact opposite IMHO. Totally f'ed up.

Sad, but I get why the guy gave in. You can only waste your life away for so long.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The DA should be locked up for 42 years. Damn....

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

HHahahhahahahahahahaha

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's really awful. So some guy walked into the building, thought to himself -- "must be a young black boy that did this because those blacks use fire to clear farmland, so they're probably comfortable with fire. So let's arrest the first young black boy we see and throw him in jail for the rest of his life."

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well he had a box of matches and he was a black so obviously guilty.

What is really terrible is this prosecutor trying to screw him over.Hopefully there is a special place in hell for her.

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I wouldn't be sad if something really bad happened to both the racist fire investigator, Cy Holmes, and the Pima county attorney, Barbara LaWall.

If there's a Hell, I hope they both burn in it for a very long time. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have four decades of my life taken away from me.

17. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Damn. Too bad he has to accept a no contest plead in order to be free but can't turn around and sue the crap out of the system that messed up his life.

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Railroaded going in. Railroaded going out. Poor guy.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

He has more of a case of going "Dorner" on someone then Dorner did. If someone took 42yrs of my live for a crime I didn't commit.. I guarantee that if I ever got out, I'd pay that person a visit if it was first thing or last thing I ever did.