1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man arrested at O'Hare with 9 knives....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HOOP-T, Nov 5, 2001.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

..a stun gun, and mace. And get this...his address is the same as one of the guys arrested in Texas that were found with 5500 cash, box cutters, and hair dye.

Interesting......

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/04/inv.ohare.arrest/index.html

Man arrested with knives, stun gun at O'Hare
    Security screeners fired after weapons' discovery
    November 5, 2001 Posted: 8:20 AM EST (1320 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A man was arrested Saturday night at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, Illinois, when he tried to board a flight with nine knives, a can of Mace and a stun gun, police said.

The man may have some connection with two men who were detained Sept.12 in Texas as material witnesses in the investigation into the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, CNN has learned.

Police arrested Subash Gurung, 27, who said he was from Nepal, and charged him with unlawful possession of a weapon and attempting to board an aircraft with a weapon, both misdemeanor charges.

A security screener removed two knives from Gurung's pocket before he was allowed through the security checkpoint, said Monique Bond, a spokeswoman for Chicago's aviation department.

The other seven knives, the Mace and the stun gun were found in his carry-on luggage during a routine search before he boarded a United Airlines flight 1085 to Omaha, Nebraska, said Officer Thomas Donegan of the Chicago Police.

United Airlines immediately fired at least seven people, including security screeners and a supervisor after the weapons' discovery, Bond said.

In an interview with CNN affiliate WLS-TV in Chicago, Gurung said he was in a hurry and had carried the weapons in his bag by accident.

He said he was on his way to Omaha to visit friends and that he had bought the weapons in Chicago to protect himself. Gurung said he was unemployed, but then told the reporter he worked in a warehouse.

Police and FBI agents questioned Gurung, who was taken to a holding facility in suburban Chicago, fingerprinted and processed, then released on bond, Donegan said. He is to appear in court December 19.

CNN has learned that Gurung listed the same West Hollywood Avenue apartment address in Chicago as Ayub Ali Khan, a material witness in the September 11 attacks.

Khan and Mohamed Jaweed Azmath were arrested September 12 in Fort Worth, Texas, on an Amtrak train heading to San Antonio, Texas. Found in their possession were $5,500 cash, two flat box-cutter type knives and hair dye. Azmath also had copies of numerous passport photos.

The hijackers of the planes that crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were believed to have used box-cutters as weapons.

On the day of the attacks, Khan and Azmath were on a TWA flight from Newark, New Jersey, to San Antonio. The flight was diverted to St. Louis, when the FAA closed the skies to commercial aircraft after the terrorist hijackings and attacks.

Khan and Azmath lived in Jersey City, New Jersey, but a records check by CNN also found a Chicago address for Khan sandwiched between two New Jersey addresses he'd used.

The Chicago address was the same apartment building as Gurung.

A government source told CNN that Khan never actually lived in the apartment in Chicago and never actually worked there.

But, the source said, "many phone calls were made to and from that apartment, and credit card bills were paid from that address."

Gurung's arrest also focused renewed attention on Argenbright Security Inc., the firm for which the fired employees worked. Argenbright reached a settlement in October with the Justice Department, admitting it had failed to complete court-ordered background checks on its employees.

That move followed by less than a year guilty pleas by three Argenbright managers who admitted breaking FAA rules. They allowed untrained employees -- some with criminal backgrounds -- to operate airport checkpoints, the managers said.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

...and that's why the government shouldn't take control of airport security. There's no way they could do a better job.

3. treeman

treeman Member

And they let him go. Just like the 6 men they caught with plans for a nuclear plant and the Alaskan pipeline (boxcutters all around). And the 28 Syrians and Algerians who are now in Texas at flight training schools the INS and FBI have let in over the past month.

I don't feel a whole lot safer than I did 9/11. The authorities appear to be totally clueless.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

And he was coming here to Omaha ?!?!
    I fly out of Chicago at least 3 times a month and with all the heightened security I find this remarkable. The bad part about the security is that it is still the same people who didnt catch any of this before 9-11.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn. I say we bury him alive.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

O man....just when the commercials and so-called experts said it was safe to get back up in the sky..:rolleyes: .........

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, apparantly it is. The flight didn't take off with him on it, did it?

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Subash Gurung said he left the weapons in his bag by accident

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

9. Timing

Timing Member

I can understand forgetting your wallet, but forgetting you packed 9 knives in your luggage? Errr... :rolleyes:

10. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

yeah, we'll see if he shows up....
    too bad the media doesn't do a good job of following up on this type of stuff...

rH

11. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Is this individual a US citizen? Deport him back to sunny Nepal.....

12. treeman

treeman Member

Apparently the feds have decided to charge him with some federal crime (don't know what exactly) and have him in custody. 1 for 35 is better than 0 for 35, I guess...

Not Chaney - none of these people are US citizens. The 6 men w/ the nuclear and pipeline plans were here on tourist visas, the 28 Syrian and Algerians who came thru DFW for flight training are here on student visas. They don't have any constitutional rights. According to immigration law the govt can hold them for up to a year without charging them. Why they aren't at least being questioned is beyond me.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

As far as I know "Gurung" is not a Muslim name. Isn't it a Hindu name?

Anyways the dude claims he carried the knives on him by accident? :rolleyes: I dont know whats up with the authorities releasing all these people on bond. :mad:

14. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Yeah,

Phi Slamma Jamma,

A guy had knives....and he was brown looking!!
    Kill Him ....Bury Him Alive...You're so right!

Yeah Treeman...they are Brown and Arab Looking
    Lock them Up...

The Constitution??? What...thats only for non-browns..
    They had a box cutter?? My god...
    A Brown guy with a box cutter??

There are many, many Arab/Muslim students, citizens of this country. I believe around 2% of this country is Muslim. That is one out of every 50 of us folks.

There are so many Arabs/Muslims/Brownies in this country that it is not going to be difficult to see them doing something that we may miscontrue as "terrorist" activities...

But by taking an American's or anothers civil rights and liberties away because of the color of their skin or their ethnic origin or religion we are a discredit to the founding fathers who saw this as a land of freedom

15. F.D. Khan

But that Guy is a Moron..

9 Knives on a Plane??
    Mase?

Idiot........that goes without saying

16. treeman

treeman Member

F.D. Khan:

I don't give a s*it what color they are. If they're carrying an arsenal of hand-to-hand weapons onto an airplane, I want them detained and interrogated. If they're carrying around boxcutters and plans for nuclear reactor facilities and the Alaskan pipeline then I want them detained and interrogated. If they're coming from a state that is on the State Dept's list of terrorism sponsors for flight training then I want them detained and interrogated.

If they aren't planning anything bad then they will be released. If they have something nefarious planned then it will come out in interrogation (or they will refuse to talk - a pretty good indicator their plans weren't innocent), and they can be stopped.

Don't try to paint me as a racist - this is just common f*ing sense. And don't preach to me about civil rights. These people aren't US citizens and have no civil rights. And again, if they've done nothing wrong (and don't intend to) they will be released.

You seem to want more Americans to die?

17. F.D. Khan

Firstly,

Treeman....Please refrain from using blanket statements such as

"You seem to want more Americans to die"

I was born in New York City, I was supposed to be in the World Trade Center for Work the Week before the Tragedy. My cousin is on a US Aircraft Carrier and my Aunt is in the State Department in Washington. This is my country and don't ever project it otherwise because of some of my opinions don't agree with yours. I would appreciate an apology for that remark....just as I will state that you are correct that the individuals in Alaska should be detained for questioning.

But the statement
    "And the 28 Syrians and Algerians who are now in Texas at flight training schools the INS and FBI have let in over the past month"

People come to the US from all over the world including the Arab World to go to schools here and to learn. I don't think its prudent not to allow some individuals to go to a flight school in light of what has happened simply because of their religion.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If he really wanted to use that stuff for protection, then why does he need 9 knives? He's only got two freaking hands. How convenient....he has a stun gun so he can stun the flight attendants and pilots....then he has a knife to stick in each one of them. Then, he still has a few knives left over.

Or, maybe he is the stun gun guy and the knives are for distributing to his friends already on the plane. Isn't it better odds for one guy to bring all the stuff on board then it is for each individual to bring their own knife on board. Maybe some of the women on board are terrorists that were trained in Iraq as that other thread/article mentioned.

Let's see....he forgot he had two knives on his person that were confiscated. Oh, then he forgot he had 7 more knives and a stun gun in his luggage.

Smithers.......

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!

Surf

19. haven

haven Member

Actually, non-citizens do not have the same rights under the Constitution. The situation has nothing to do with race. The government has repeatedly resisted the lure of racial profiling in this situation.

20. treeman

treeman Member

Refrain from calling me a racist. You think I'm a racist, I think you want to see more Americans die. Fair is fair...

The 28 Syrians and Algerians came in 4 waves of seven each over two different weekends. What a coincidence... They are all clean shaven, well-dressed men in their early to mid-20s. Syria is listed as a terrorism sponsor by the State Department, and Algerians compose one of the larger segments of Al Qaeda's membership. These guys fit the profile to a tee.

The airport officials were concerned, and called the INS. The INS was concerned, and called the FBI. The FBI asked the INS to fax over copies of their visas to put on record. Not a single one of these guys has been questioned. That is absolutely idiotic considering what happened on 9/11. I would be satisfied if they had at least been questioned.

I don't care if they're buddhists, they fit the Al Qaeda profile. There is absolutely no reason we should be training these people to fly. Let them get their training somewhere else.

I do not know if you want to see more Americans die, as I am not psychic, but you sure don't seem to be willing to advocate lifting a finger in any way to prevent further attacks. You don't seem to realize that in this war inaction = death. Or care. I don't know. But your politically correct attitude will result in the deaths of more Americans, I guarantee it.

(BTW, those 6 guys were stopped in Michigan; their tourism visas were in order so the INS let them go. The FBI is scrambling to find them now)