1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make a case for John Wall's Value to one of these teams...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 4, 2021.

?

Which team is best fit for John Wall (and why)?

1. LAC

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. NYK

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. MIA

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. BOS

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. NOP

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

With CP3's performance in OKC and now taking the Suns to the Championship, I started wondering are we as a fan base discounting Wall's value? Maybe, he has one of the worst contracts in the league (cough, but so did Paul) and he is not the franchise player he thinks he is. However, the question is does one team out there see him as a difference maker for their team.

First question to ask is did Wall show enough last year to get some team to bite on his last two years of his contract? Personally, I'm not a big fan of his game, but he did show he's still super fast and able to get to the rim when he wants. While his outside shot isn't money, it's not terrible and it looks like he could still be a solid #3 on a good team--hence this thread. The beauty of acquiring Wall is that he's not going to cost a GM a lot of draft or player capital (like Dame would) and may even gain you other assets for taking his contract (House).

I would imagine most teams would likely try to make other moves before they would settle for Wall. Unless they believe someone else might beat them too it.

Of the teams below, I selected the NYK. It's the team most associated with Wall Trade Rumors, probably because Wall plays on both sides of the court and Thibs will want someone who can do that and take on a leadership role for this young team. The NYK's also have the most cap room in the NBA and could best absorb Wall's contract. The GM will like a Wall trade, because he likely won't have to give up valuable assets to get him. Finally, if Wall can fully regain his game and stay healthy he can add some of that star power NY fans crave and provide them that extra spark to compete next year.

C'mon NY you want John Wall, you need John Wall... https://tenor.com/view/wall-want-need-you-need-me-on-that-wall-gif-16847371

I realize this is not an easy assignment, but I'm bored after blowing stuff up and two days of celebrating our Independence.

Scarface, Ramo$e, Madmanmetz and 6 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

MIA: John Wall + Rockets FRP (2021 23rd overall)
    DAL: Kemba Walker
    OKC: Tyler Herro, Andre Iguodala, Goran Dragic
    PHI: Kristaps Porzingas
    HOU: Ben Simmons

2nd: Cade Cunningham
    23rd: Ben Simmons
    24th: Joe Wisekamp

Porter/Augustin
    EGo/Khyri/Armoni
    Cade/Tate/Scottie Lewis (House for SRP)
    Simmons/KJ/Wisekamp
    Wood/Olynyk

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You're way more creative on the trade front than I'll ever be. A couple of observations on your trade...

- Wall to MIA is interesting; Stone got the best of Riley on the VO swap (if only for one season), does he believe Wall can be that third star they need to compete in the East and is this the best he can get for his vaunted Herro? I think this is an interesting thread to pull (more below)
    - OKC should give up some draft capital to get rid of Kemba
    - Doubt Philly would only take back Porzingas for Ben
    - Love the outcome for the Rockets

Kawhi's decision will be one of the first dominoes to fall for some of the teams looking for a third star. The Heat will probably try to convince him that South Beach will be his best chance for a 3rd chip, NYK, Dallas and maybe a few others will try as well. Current thinking is he'll stay with LAC, which means Riley has to start looking in another direction. With Bam and Butler, adding a PG like Wall could be a backup plan. Here's some info on decisions Riley needs to make with FA period starting 2 Aug, "The club’s front office, led by team president Pat Riley, will have to decide on expensive team options for former All-Stars Goran Dragic, 35, and Andre Iguodala, 37, on August 1. The club holds a $15MM team option on Iguodala and a $19.4MM option on Dragic. If the club wants to use its 2028 first-round pick in any trade, it will have to wait until after the July 29 draft. If the Heat want to use role players Duncan Robinson or Kendrick Nunn as sign-and-trade fodder, the team will only be able to do so after August 6." (Hoops Rumors)

Needless to say, this should be an interesting off-season for several teams. With the Bucks and the Suns in the Championship, GMs will look at their team building approaches to see if they would work for them. With the rash of injuries to stars, whether those paths will work again is a good question. Stone has taken the road less traveled in several of his moves, will be interesting to see what he does next with a deep draft (3 picks) and some vets (Wall, Gordon, House, etc.) that could be nice additions to playoff contenders.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could be right about more assets required to make trade work.

Especially Mavs interest in Kemba.

But I believe Porzingas (Unicorn - age 25) is a great win-win swap for Simmons.

Porzingas skillset is perfect for Embiid. I can see Morey making a run at Lowry, a Philly native, as well.

76ers can easily load up on more defenders to make up for Simmons loss in this area.

joshuaao, Shark44 and FrontRunner like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I haven’t looked around the league for contracts etc.

The case for wall is pretty simple . He looked very athletic last year coming off a serious injury . You hope that one more year removed means even more feel and physicality comes back

wall could still get to the rim , but he struggled to finish. He still managed to look pretty decent some nights despite being one of the main players (meaning teams try to shut you down ) on a bad team .

if you have some guys that aren’t great , maybe you take a chance on wall’s longer contract to see if he can get a little closer to WAS wall who can be the 3rd-4th best guy in a contender .

I think LAC has the most obvious fit in terms of already having good wings and needing more athleticism at the guard .

Ramo$e, joshuaao and Shark44 like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

LAC: Ballmer, what do you care about money anyway?

NYK: Don't kid yourselves; you still arent a FA destination.

MIA: You waited too long to deal Herro. Take your medicine.

BOS: You've tried to win with guys who are team-first mentality and that didn't work. Now see if it's better with a guy who thinks he IS the team.

NOP: Zion is leaving anyway so what do you care if this move fails.

7. DonatelloLimestone

Miami would want to get rid of Tyler herro and dragic for...John wall and a first? John wall and Dragic are close, wall has a way worse contract situation...herro is ebtter than any 23rd pick.

Dallas gets rid of Prozingis for...Kemba walker? a bad defender, soemone who plays with the ball in his hands to compliment luka?...

This trade may only make sense for Philly, maybe OKc, and possibly houston. Miami dallas would not do this

joshuaao likes this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We are going to have to make Wall look pretty this year in order to trade him to a desperate team at the trade deadline. I hate to say it but he has to prove he can play a whole year and not get a substantial injury. He already is at the mercy of back to back games.

D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

If rockets dont trade john wall this offseason i am not lifting my ban on watching rockets

10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

None.
    /end thread

mightybosstone and Corrosion like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

John Wall the player may be of some genuine use to many teams. But John Wall’s contract is of no use to any team.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

To all

John Wall is an incredible tank commander, see that number 2 pick.... John Wall baby....

dmoneybangbang, DCHAMP, rhee and 2 others like this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nice! Made me laugh and I needed one.

14. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

John Wall's contract will be valuable next year. I believe his play will be much better in 2021-22 than last year. Even though he didn't play quality "team ball" in 2021, I think it's fair to say he looked a lot better than anyone would have thought coming back from a major Achilles injury (his return was just overshadowed by Kevin Durant's return).

As far as moving Wall in 2021-22...it just doesn't seem likely, unless the return would also include expiring contracts. If it ends up resulting in taking back less-bad contracts that stretch another 2-3 years (after Wall's) then I think the Rockets should spend their time trying to move Gordon and/or Wood and viewing Wall as a veteran teacher who can help guys like Porter and Green (if he ends up being the pick).

Wall's play was selfish in 2021, but the talent around him was severely lacking. There should be a pretty decent improvement in 2021-22 with a full year of Porter, Martin, healthier Wood and Green/Mobley. Wall can still be a playmaker and help a team win -- if he can trust the talent around him to defer.

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Wall was a prospect by even the best at Clutch Fans before he was drafted and that's where it ends. He is nowhere near Chris Paul's level. It's like like a personal insult to make the comparison.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only team that may be interested is the Knicks because they make a ton of mistakes. And I think they will fall off quite a bit next season

no one will be interested until he can show he can play

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Luka allegedly unhappy with Porzingas. Luka and Porzingas are Mavs 2 best players but have shown inability to get it done in when games count, postseason. Carlisle quit, Nelson fired, Mavs are in chaos.

Herro value is in the tank, all it took was a full season after the bubble for the Herro Addicts to come to their senses. Reality bites but Herro is only worth the 23rd, if that much.

Wall is older and on crappy contract but he is significantly better than Herro. He is still a starter on vet team like MIA, Herro is not. Dragic and Iggy are expiring. Herro needs a new environment to rehab his value.

May need to add pick to Mavs for Kemba swap, or a young big like Tony Bradley.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wall to LAC for Kennard/Beverley(expiring)/Ibaka(expiring)

LAC didn't play Kennard much at all and Ibaka none. Wall is a better PG than Beverley. LAC has little in the way of assets to acquire talent but they can do so in this package for Wall. Ballmer doesn't mind spending and LAC is win now.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Can Houston take what okc would’ve received and okc take Simmons…..

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd rather have Porzingas over Herro.

Herro is shyte on D, inconsistent on O, there is a reason this budding "star" doesn't even start.

Overrated.

BamBam likes this.