1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wonder how high that bridge deck was, i.e. how far did these workers fall? My understanding is the Golden Gate bridge deck is 220 feet high...so 22 stories right? I was thinking maybe 16 or 17 stories high on this one but not sure. I doubt anyone in a car would survive. Watching that video of it occuring...I was glad I didn't see any cars crossing the bridge at the time. Some traffic got extremely lucky there just before.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What would cause a boat to have a power outage? Did it not have a back up genererator?

3. Screaming Fist

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

JumpMan, B-Bob, Invisible Fan and 4 others like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

incredible

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

To the second question: Probably so because the video indicates power came back on, but too late to avoid the crash.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

From Wash Post:
    After reviewing video footage from the scene, Firth said there appeared to be at least two protective objects in the water next to the Key Bridge. The objects, known as “dolphins,” are supposed to protect maritime structures from being hit by vessels. But Dali, the container ship that struck the bridge, appeared to have come in “at an angle,” Firth said, which meant the devices were unable to prevent the ship from striking the bridge, sending part of it tumbling into the water below.

If the Dali had been traveling “straight on” instead of at an angle, it would probably have hit the protective objects, Firth said.

If there had been three or four vessel protection objects stationed around the bridge, the outcome may have been different, Firth said, adding that he expects lessons will be learned from Tuesday’s tragedy.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Already seeing tweets about this being the work of terrorists, Antifa, immigrants, and such. Really incredible how screwed up some people are.

Just to clarify for the imbeciles: The ship sent out a May Day distress call which allowed law enforcement to close the bridge to traffic just before the collision. Terrorists don't typically try to save people.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't think the captain was 'driving'. There was a local pilot taking it out.
    But nothing to do with them eeither. The power loss was game over

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The DEEP STATE already covering up what appears to be yet another false flag.

[​IMG]

Blatz, B-Bob and Surfguy like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Talked to a director I work with at another company who lives in Baltimore, and he says the city is in shock (probably like we feel after a hurricane), the whole traffic grid is going to be ****ed and we speculated this might have a trickle-down effect on this whole 'back to work!' edict that the government and a lot of big companies are implementing for no logical reason other than narcissism and using their leased-for-10-years space. Since Baltimore is so tied to DC and federal agencies, it's going to lead to congestion everywhere in the area.

There are tunnels that are alternate routes that are going to become bottlenecks and big trucks with hazardous materials aren't allowed to use them. The whole thing is an utter disaster.

That's the Pilot's job.

#32 Xerobull, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Don't know how accurate this Google Maps shot is...but doesn't look like any protection around the supports. (Not sure how much of the water is actual imagery from Google.)

upload_2024-3-26_14-43-17.png

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Here's a better shot of the supports...

upload_2024-3-26_14-46-25.png

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Projecting much?

17. CrazyJoeDavola

"Temporarily closed"

Looks permanent to me.

[​IMG]

boomboom likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, that bridge is huge

No, not at all. I work 100% from home for a company that has been doing that as a business model since 2003. And if something happens there, I'll leave. Or retire.

I do have a problem with WFH edicts that aren't grounded in data.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. CrazyJoeDavola

Hard to tell but the after photos appear to show that the ship obliterated not only the tower support, but the entirety of whatever protective base there was.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very depressing day in Maryland.