1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MAJOR ASTROS RUMOR!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RKMAN, Jul 28, 2000.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

ESPN's Peter Gammons reported that the Astros will give it all in trying to get Alex Rodriguez. If we get him, Bagwell's days in Houston are numbered.

------------------
    RKMAN

Proud believer of the 2001 World Champion Houston Astros.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Why then did they trade Everett for a shortstop prospect?

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

3. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

FOR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

------------------
    RKMAN

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That would make an awful season sure look a heck of a lot better!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Hmm...lets see.

Andres Galarraga is 38... He has one year left on his contract... After that he most likely will retire...

I wonder if there is a first baseman out there that a certain organization could make a deal for? This organization is ranked in the top three when it comes to the best prospects in the majors(rich in pitching). The first baseman should still be young and the deal could help his current team rebuild with some young pitching that could really help in a certain park that gives up alot of runs.

Any ideas? [​IMG]

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

6. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Rkman,
    Please don't kid me. How serious is this??? I mean if we are going to trade Bagwell to someone than I would be very, very happy getting A-Rod... Wow...

Can someone update this rumor or provide a link?

------------------
    There's no 'I' in the word team, but there's three of them in Isaiah Rider. :D

7. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

I heard this on the galleryfurniture postgame show with John Granato. Some dude called up saying this to him, asking John if he knew something about this.

------------------
    RKMAN

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Important question is,
    Do we keep him after the season? Do we pay him the necessary money? And does he want to stay? Besides for the nice anmenities of H-town, a phat new crib where he could become the all-time home run king eventually, why would he want to stay? We still have no pitching in my opinion. But still, Id do the deal as Ward could play first.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

9. DUDE

DUDE Member

WIth the money coming in from the new stadium why cant we keep Bags and still sign AROD? It we get rid of anyone it should be Biggio. He just doesnt have it anymore.
    But Bags is still on the top of his game.

We desperately need a SS though, Spiers just aint gettin' it done

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Julio Lugo

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

JayZ, great thought about Ward playing first. I think the Stros should also get another player in the deal though. I think Bags is just a notch above ARod. But, I really seriously doubt this will happen and have heard nothing of it. Is this a hoax or did Gammons really say it? Even if he did I probably wouldn't believe him.

------------------

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

A-Rod won't be coming to Houston.

Jay Buhner already has a nickname for him. He uses it alot. His nickname is Shea-rod. He will be with the Mets most likely.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

man, if you guys think David Aldridge is a fountain of mis-infomation, you won't have a work to describe Peter Gammons... The guy just throws things out there to see what sticks, kind of like Peter Vescey. I remember him saying that there was no way Roger Clemens would not be an Astro two years ago.... I think the Astros management never thought that this team would be the this bad this year. I feel like they felt in their hearts that they could cut back on payroll and still put a contending team on the field, this way Drayton could re-coup some of his losses that he has sustained (allegedly) I don't think A-Rod is the answer, especially if it means losing Bagwell. Guys say that Dream deserves to finish up his career here in Houston, i think the same thing should be true of Bagwell. If he wants to leave, that's up to him, since he's been here, he's been everything for the Astros. The guy they go to when they need someone to take a paycut to sign or re-sign key free agents. Gammons is still probably pissed that Bagwell got away from the Red Sox in the first place. If A-Rod leaves Seattle, he's going to go somewhere where he can get PAID. The Astros need to re-sign Bagwell to an extension, that's their number one priority this off season. After that, they need to get themselves a shortstop who can pick it and hit for a decent avg. Is lugo the answer? Not really, his defense is too shaky... and i think Adam Everett is still at least a year away. Hopefully, they'll be like the Rockets and finish off the year strong, and go into the off season with some momentum and avoid losing 100 games for the first time ever. One thing i picked up from the Atlanta Braves announcers this weekend is how Biggio seems to be pulling off the outside pitch more this year than in the past. They think that he's trying to have a quick enough bat to hit the inside pitch, but in doing so, he's just trying to flick the ball when he's pitched away. I'm sure that he's playing hurt, cause that's just how he is, but he needs to go back to driving the ball to the opposite field so he can be the Bidge that we all know and love.

------------------