1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Madness/Civil War/End of Republic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by foh, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
?

In which case will you march against your government officials?

1. If a court or an official throw out a 100K+ votes over a technicality/political bias.

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. If USSC doesn't hear an election related case and Trump loses the 2020 election.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. If there is a federal mandate to wear masks in indoors in public.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If Trump issues a call to arms.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. If Trump is found guilty of a tax evasion in state of NY and then issues a call to arms.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. foh

foh Member

It sounds pretty tense out there per Drudge & our POTUS. Civil war is trending on Twitter as we approach electoral vote date. And pandemic ramping up with it's usual lockdowns and restrictions. I can't help but start wondering if anyone knows anyone who they think is willing to grab a rifle and march on local Capitol (and kill their fellow Americans?) when whipped up into frenzy by their local/national political figure or a political talking head?

Is the madness real among the common folk that don't make it to viral videos we see online? Or is it a select few in media and politics and proud boys making something out of nothing?

Here is an article about republicans being driven mad:

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-driving-itself-mad-164951778.html

"A country in which millions of people are being actively cultivated to reject democracy, to cheer on tyranny, to exult in conspiracies and outright lies is a country deliberately careening toward a precipice. The next time it won't just be a show of nonsense lawsuits thrown out of court. It will be several states tossing out thousands or millions of votes in order to bestow a victory on the loser of a free and fair election.​

I don't know if we're heading toward authoritarian kleptocracy or a civil war, or if we'll somehow manage to turn the wheel just before we reach the cliff's edge. But I do know this: If any of the worst-case scenarios unfold, it will be because some among us made a conscious decision to cultivate madness"

I included a poll for fun (I'm stretching the meaning of the word "fun" here..)

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Should make the poll public...

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

The snowflakes can't even follow orders on a simple virus protocol how do you think those dimwits will fare in a war?

jiggyfly, edwardc, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There’s not going to be a civil war. We are too pampered and comfortable for it. Your everyday average Joe will get violent when he gets truly scared and put at risk like if their was a blight causing a food shortage or catastrophic event that put his family in life or death situation.

What’s could happen is like it was in the 60s where there was fighting and riots and violence but it’s not like millions participated in the violence.

What’s most likely to happen is some lone wolf nut job watches too much OAN and shoots up some government building.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What's disturbing about this is the fact that Trump and his band of misfits are causing all this trouble. If a similar scenario were being played out by a young charismatic leader and a powerful group of supporters with the money and intelligence to mount a serious challenge we could be looking at unstoppable changes to our system of government. I wouldn't even expect this theoretical group to be caught in the situation Trump is in right now -- it would be ending presidential term limits, cancelling the election, creating a path to enforce EOs as law (etc).

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think people are putting too much into it. Trump knows he lost. At this point they are trying to kneecap Biden's presidency before he takes office by creating the fake narrative that Biden "stole" the election. Part of it is payback for the Russia gate stuff. They have no evidence to overturn any election let alone multiple states.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump is just trying to get as much $$$$$ out of his ignorant fanbase as he can before he steps away.

DD

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This. Trump is just trying to save face. Admitting defeat is not part of his DNA. That's all this is.

Once he loses his bully pulpit on 1/20/21, his followers will eventually just move on. The GOP will go back to being just a little crazy instead of batsh*t crazy. I truly think he and his entire family will be completely irrelevant in 3 or 4 months.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The short form of what I want to say is that the idea of a civil war used to be anathema. Talking about it would cross an American taboo, and people would reject it without thought, outside of the extreme antisocial types who would join Aryan Nation or the American Nazi Party.

In the last few years, there has been a ton of talk about the liberals starting a civil war. Repeating it over and over, the taboo wore off. There are people who wouldn't even put it in their minds 20 years ago, who will now toss it around and think about how it would occur. It's like 45 year old in a school uniform pedophilia p*rn. Its nothing like the real thing, but apparent there are people who get off thinking about it and are now intrigued about thinking about it, in the most abstract and fantastical way.

That is a Rubicon which has been crossed. It's far more work to rebuild that wall than to tear it down. Certain people will now entertain the idea, no matter how little it bears a resemblance to how it would really occur. If we don't actively do that rebuilding, IMO it will fester for who knows how long, maybe 20 or 30 years and something could set it off.

The comparison I would bring up would be the relation between the Gracchus brothers and 100 years later Julius Caesar declaring himself emperor for life. Not directly related at all, but without the former, the latter wouldn't have had space to exist.

I think the idea that it will go away on its own just by getting rid of Trump is not realistic.

jiggyfly, Deckard, gatsby and 14 others like this.
  10. foh

foh Member

I agree that he will eventually fade without a pulpit and with a huge L on his forehead and lots of legal trouble up ahead. This is assuming that no legitimate institution like USSC entertain his claims and Fox news moves on to Hunter/Biden/media bashing. I just have little understanding of how many legitimately mad Trump supporting people are out there right now willing to escalate and demanding their representatives undercut the election process purely out of unwillingness to face the facts. Judging by the 106 congressman supporting his bid for a USSC trial, it seems like there are enough people like that so as for the sedition idea to linger around like @Ottomaton just pointed out.

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Best case scenario. Hope you are right. I fully expect some sort of right wing domestic terrorist incident. Too many trump loving nutjobs out there.

Blatz likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

one of these right wing nut jobs will try to kill a government official or shoot up a crowd of liberals, but I’m not ready to go to possible Civil War

mdrowe00 and deb4rockets like this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If Snowpublicans kill other people instead of killing themselves in protest

edwardc likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking about the brothers Gracchi myself recently and how they used populism to undermine the norms of the Roman Republic. It didn't end well though for both brothers.

All of that said I don't think we are going to have a full blown civil war but I do worry a lot about domestic terrorism. I expected to see some around the election and am glad I was wrong about that but we are still in a very dangerous time and people who should know better are adding fuel to the fire.

deb4rockets, Blatz and dobro1229 like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Not worried. @dachuda86 ‘s can’t even tie their own shoes

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Your just jelly of his first grade intellect.

It's inconceivable.

CometsWin likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You're *

Deckard and Nook like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

*Bigly

19. Buck Turgidson

Along those lines...

Christopher Dodd, US Ambassador to Germany, speech to the American Chamber of Commerce in Berlin, 1933

http://docs.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/psf/box32/t299b09.html

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

nothing's going to happen, a few crazies here and there maybe like blowing up a federal building with a children's nursery

same old same old
    They don't change anything