1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MacMahon] Rockets rekindle extension talks with MDA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 8, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wait don’t these guys watch Houston?

He doesn’t call timeouts or make adjustments or beat the Warriors.

Why should he deserve anything?

3. farhen

farhen Member

Raptors fired their coach of the year last year, and somehow manages to get better. Meanwhile in Houston :oops:

D-rock and PeterKingX like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did cheap Tillman tell Murray to drop mda a Kindle?

Richie_Rich and Torn n Frayed like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Nurse has 30 years of coaching experience. Don't act like he has never coached before.

6. pass_to_Hakeem

His record for the past 3 years in Houston proves as much.... but he needs to adapt and he needs to “edit” the Offense!! They definitely need a Defensive genius in the coaching staff tho. Defense is where the championships are won!!

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It was wise of them to foresee that firing their head coach would allow them to trade a fringe all star for a legit MVP worthy player with some health question marks and then for those question marks to end up being really nothing.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

“Somehow”

The “somehow” isn’t a mystery. They got one of the 3 best players in the league in exchange for a mid range jump shooter, their young prospect took a huge step and they added good supporting pieces.

“Somehow”

Deckard, Game7, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

whether you like it our not bringing back MDA is 100% the right decision. and guaranteeing him at least 2 FULL seasons at that.

he and we've had a lot success this past few years and we are a CP3 injury away from arguably having our 3rd championship.

do his rotations sometimes suck in the playoffs? yes
    does he gives the players (ie harden) a little too much freedom? yes

but at the end of the day he has created a good locker room culture and despite not wining it all, we have had some VERY successful seasons. i feel like he is very slowly realizing his short comings and hopefully we can hire some good assistants in areas where doesnt excel.

D-rock likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Must be an injection of extra cash.

It's the Indecisiveness that is going to haunt us IMHO.

Visit him all you want, but his agent Warren handles his business.

I like that MDA is clear about that, you cannot buy me below my value - attitude!

Torn n Frayed and bloodwings19 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

So tilman went to WV to talk to MDA and MDA said "talk to my agent"

Doesn't sound like the relationship is repaired .

MDA "I coach" .... lol nah , not THAT much lol.

Little Bit likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure Lebrawn left the eastern conference somewhere in there too

14. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Spinal..

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#SoapOpera
    #TeleNovela

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hastily arranged = HE LIED AGAIN lol

How many times is this a$$hole going to "oops" his way out of a lie?

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

July has not even begun.....

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Thanks for the clip. I was thinking why Austin is going on these shows recently. Contract year, run in the family maybe (Dad was on ESPN analyzing the Finals), national TV exposure...etc So there could be a few different reasons. Ultimately, I wonder if the Rockets had send him out to help repair the Rocket's national image. Credibility wise it's different if a GM, coach or owner do it, because the audience will be like of course they're going to say positive things. Audience may be more drawn to active player giving his locker room take.

His tone about the playoffs was conciliatory. On short segments like these, he can say very little, but by being there it can take back some of ESPN negative narratives on the Rockets. If free agents look at the Rockets, it's important to project stability (not dysfunction a la Lakers).

The MDA narrative: Austin reminds folks "Every player's dream to play for Mike." "Freedom to shoot." Maybe even a low key recruiting. Coaches have smaller control than before, so MDA is working with what he can in a NBA Star Player empowered league It was good for Austin to put that out there, reminding the general NBA fans.

ISO ball system. Reason given was that maybe MDA didn't want to offend Harden, and James was playing to what he thought the organization wanted. Austin hinted yea the systems is not perfect. Nationally it's very much one sided on Rockets getting critiqued for ISO ball and not diversifying the offense. You can agree with this but perception-wise without a Rocket formally responding, it made it look like the Rockets organization is rigid and self-unaware. Austin going on TV, helped soften that image a little. Joking with SAS and Max 'Mike will bench you if you don't shoot" "or shoot a mid-range'.

Some Rockets fans may not care about what the country thinks, I can respect that. I do think the owner and organization care, not just for attracting free agents or assistant coaches, but branding in general is very important. It affects the bottom line. Rocket's have some repairing to do. Luckily it has not gotten to the level of Laker's front office mess, or a minority owner shoving a NBA player.

#58 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Mr Chuck Norris, Bo6 and mikol13 like this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I've said since this all started, honestly I don't care if they fire him or extend him. I didn't want him to coach on an expiring contract.

What worries me right now is that the Rockets have fired the defensive staff but not the offensive staff.

The defensive coaching has been excellent given the personnel. When we have been a full, healthy roster, we have defended like a top 5 defensive team >> which is more that sufficient to win a title. The mistake the defensive coaching made in the playoffs was situational. It wasn't by design. It was a mistake about one play that the Warriors ran which can easily be corrected with an offseason meeting.

The offense similarly has us competing with the Warriors every regular season for historic records. They've done an incredible job getting this much offense out of this particular roster. However, the problems we've faced with our offense running out of ideas is systemic. For the past 2 playoffs, we have needed solutions for when James Harden goes cold or gets tired like anyone would, and in the absence of second or third superstars this team was simply not prepared and trained to shift into a ball movement offense that hides the lack of shot creators on the team.

I would have replaced the offensive assistant. The defensive coaching was a quick fix, doubtful it would have happened again.

Anyhow, it's still possible we replace them all. We'll see.

HP3 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Tell me about it