1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

M Clarret says he may go pro early.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

ESPN is reporting that he may challenge the NFL rule and enter the draft next year. Wow if he is able to enter I would wet all over myself if we ended up with him. He is only 19 and already the best running back in college. I would take him over Charles Rodgers my current hopefull.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't think that he will be allowed to enter the draft if he challenges the rule but it would be awesome if the Texans could get him or Rodgers. If he was able to enter I'm sure one of those players could fall to us.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Let's wait and see him play a real defense before we crown him the best running back in college football.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is the first step in college football becoming the disaster that college basketball currently is. I'm in strong favor of having the players stay 3 years.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Teams against which Clarret has played in his college career to date:

Texas Tech
    Kent State
    Washington State
    Cincinnati
    Indiana
    Northwestern
    San Jose State

How about Maurice play a real defense before even considering such a move?

6. Live

Live Member

Don't you just hate groupies and 'hangers-on.'

'Yeah Maurice, you're already ready, you're the best player in the nation, you could go #1 overall, blah blah blah.'

Stay in school, Clarret. Have fun, learn to pass block, win a Heisman.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Even if he tries to apply this year the courts NCAA can probably tie him up in court for a year or so.
    He'll be fine. Like most 18 years old he craves a little attention.
    I would guess he'll challenge to leave after a sophmore the NCAA will tie him up for a year and he'll come out as a Junior regardless, but if he wins the case then it will open the door for others.

He'll get a good test with Wisconsin this wekend. He'll be fine. 140 yds, 3 TDs! Go Mo!

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

As of right now and even a year from now Clarett will not be ready for the NFL. He hasent even played a top ten school yet. He's a good player but the bottom line is , HE'S NOT READY TO PLAY ON SUNDAY. The NFL is a grown mans game and no 18 year old kid is ready for it. Period

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Clarett from what I can see in highlights needs a lot more time in college.

Btw, I wasn't all that impressed, he seems to be a physical runner, but he did not show great speed or technique.

He definitely better stay in school.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Clarett takes on too many defenders physically, meaning that durability might become a factor over time.

If he shows more ability to make defenders miss, then he is the best RB prospect since Ricky or Edgerrin.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Take him over Charlie Rodgers? Thats a joke right. Clarett runs too straight up and tries to out run everyone and that won't happen in the NFL. Charlie Rodgers can be a David Boston type player and since we have a top of the line QB we need a type of the line WR. Take Charlie. The best running back in the country is Ced Benson.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Benson the best RB? Please.

As for Rogers, he has nothing in common with Boston. Boston physically dwarfs CBs. While Rogers is tall, he is about half the weight of Boston. Rogers is more like Randy Moss, with the ablity to catch down the middle more. Like Moss, he has ridiculous body control.

13. drapg

drapg Member

i don't think benson is any better than suggs, smith, or mcgahee.

14. DukeOfHouston

DukeOfHouston Member

Hah you all are fools! Maurice Clarret hasn't proved nothing to me yet, except that he might be ingury prone. Lets see what he does against some good defenses, and look at him after the season is over before we judge him.

Now I'm not saying he isnt good, it's just too early to tell right now.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Trader Jorge? Is that you????

16. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

NO. That is insulting. My spelling, grammar and logic are impeccable. How dare you compare me to this twit.

17. MadMax

i don't know about your logic...but i am a BIG fan of your spelling and grammar! :)

18. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

By the way MadMax -- I'm hoping you can give me a legal opinion on what I emailed you about. I understand if you don't want to, but I'd very much appreciate it if you would. Refman was kind enough to share his thoughts on the matter.

thanks

19. MadMax

did you email me?? i haven't checked that email in a while...i do that and let you know...

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

I say we take Rogers. No doubt. And the best back is Greg Jones.