1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bosco4740, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hammer755 did qualify his statement by saying "his age". Scott is 26 while Pujols is just now 25.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You do know that Pujols broke into MLB at the age of 21, right. And Scott's 26? Heck, Pujols is still younger than Scott, after 4 full years of being in the majors.

I'm pulling for Scott, but the chances are poor that he becomes an impact guy. Anyone can get hot for a week or two, especially in spring training.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I am very aware of the age difference... I was just refuting the statment that no player comes from out of nowhere, without playing past AA, to do anything beyond playing well in ST.

The fact that Pujols did it at such a young age makes it even more amazing at what he's doing (if that is his real age... which is not for sure yet).

And, Paul LoDuca is an example of a guy who turned himself into a great hitter after being a long-time minor leaguer.

4. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Thing 1: Nolan Ryan has noted that "the ball just sounds different" coming off of Luke Scott's bat. Encouraging, at least.

Thing 2: Biggio is sooooooo going to be the opening-day 2B, and I think that leaves us with LF Scott, CF Taveras, RF Lane, and a lot of praying.

Thing 3: I think Jeriome is in the Reds' camp.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

From what I've been reading on Astro fan sites, management isn't happy with where Taveras is defensively right now and he will likely start the season in Round Rock. He's got the speed, but has trouble reading the flight of the ball.

So I guess that means that the OF with be Biggio, Lane, and Scott until Berkman gets back, with Burke as the 2B.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Thanks. I looked at Cleveland's camp and he was nowhere.

Wow that is new and sad if it is the case. That is not what I have heard so far. Even Charlie P (who by the way is in Kissimme now) mentioned he was doing good enough to be the opening starting CF at least until Berkman returns.

I will try to email Charlie over this or ask Skip Garner tomorrow when he comes on his show Tomorrow (Thursday.....if I heard Charlie correctly)

------------------
    PS. Luke had another descent game today with a 3-run homer.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

The man, the legend......

[​IMG]

8. RocketFan007

Offensively he has been good enough to make the team, but this isn't the first time I've heard of Taveras defensive short comings. Ashby mentioned a few days back that he's noticed that Taveras has had trouble adjusting to fly balls all spring.

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Wasn't Taverez's strong spot supposed to be defense? Prior to this spring training, the word on him was that he was a defensive whiz but couldn't hit at the major league level yet. Now he can hit but he's a defensive liability? Huh?:confused:

10. RocketFan007

Taveras' strength has always been his speed. I think alot of people assumed that just because he was fast he would be a great CF, which is simply not true. I'm not that worried about his bat, he's a good slap hitter that knows how to use his speed.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. If we can get a solid month out of Scott's hot bat, Berkman will be back then so after that point it is all gravy.

12. msn

msn Member

See: CedeƱo, Roger.

13. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

But that wasn't an assumption. Scouting reports raved about his defense, too.

14. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Bobrek & SamCassell pretty much covered this - it's not the minor league level that concerns me as much as the age. Of course many players go from AA straight to the majors, but those guys are special.

LoDuca is a good example of a guy who developed late - his first season of AAA ball came when he was 26. Scott is even a year older than that. But those players are few and far between.

15. twoniner

twoniner Contributing Member

Still, the guy had 19HR's in 208 Round Rock at bats last year while increasing his walks. I know for sure one guy that isn't going to blossom, and his name is Orlando Palmeiro.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think this guy should be in the starting lineup opening day. We hung our hats on our youngsters producing this spring in hopes we could recoup some of the offense we lost....this guy, so far, seems for real.

17. msn

msn Member

A for real plan B? (*ducks from flying tomatoes*) :D

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

19. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Thanks man...it hit me!
    :)

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually got to watch tonight's game on MLB.TV, and I just watched Luke Scott SMOKE a 3-run HR off the Tigers' Jason Johnson.

One thing I noticed was his bat speed.... its reaaaaaaly fast, and his stance and his swing reminds me of JD Drew (good fundamentals, strong base, and a nice easy swing that seems effortless).

Who knows how good of a career he'll have... but I'd definitely take this guy right now over Orlando Palmeiro.