1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bosco4740, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bosco4740

bosco4740 New Member

what do yall guys think of luke scott starting opening day for the stros. he is leading the team in RBIs and homeruns, and we need help in the outfield. do you think that he could become another berkman?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He is definitely in the mix for a spot, given his production at the plate and the fact that he is a lefty.

A lot of guys are saying that his swing looks damn good... but then again, he's yet to play above AA (despite being 26 years old).

At this point, I say let him play... I'd rather have his lefty stick on the bench than Bruntlett.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What were his minor league numbers? That would tell more than spring training stats.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He has looked good so far, especially in the Marlins game. (IIRC)

6. MykTek

MykTek Member

the taveras, scott trade for jerome robertson looks better and better.... =)

i think we can call it even if one of the 2 guys becomes an all star....i.e. lofton trade for taubensee....

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He will start over Palmerio so don't get too worried about Orlando starting opening day.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He will start over Palmerio ...

but Scott may not start ahead of :

LF : Biggio
    CF : Taveras
    RF : Lane

(I am assuming that Burke is at 2nd and Biggio is in the OF until Berkman returns. And once Berkman returns either Taveras or Burke is out of the starting lineup.)

Thus, Scott is not fighting for a starting position.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Charlie Pololo asked coach Garner similar question on Luke Scott last week or maybe 2 weeks ago (in his weekly show) and Phil did not deny that the kid has drawn his attention.

I believe he said that the kid was kinda low on his rader but with his performance lately coupled with the fact that the team is heavily leaning ''right-handed'' in the everyday lineup (+ the fact that Lance will be out for at least 2-5 weeks into the season) that there is a possibility that Luke will make the team (something he sincerely did not even think would happen this season or this soon).

What I gleaned from that is that baring some sort of breakdown, Luke will make the big league roster following ST.

Luke Scott + Willy Taveras for Jeriome is now looking grand theft. Should the credit go to Hunsicker (the GM in charge then) or Purpura (who does many of the lower leagues evaluations)?

10. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

No doubt. i had high hopes for Taveras, but I didn't even think that Scott was going to become a tradeable asset let alone make the opening day roster in 2005.

Some of the deals that Hun pulled should be outlawed!

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Hope he doesn't turn into another James Mouton who hit well in spring training but didn't in the regular season.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Scott went 2-2 yesterday and 2-4 today. I think at the very least he's our 4th OF.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

what's tavarez doing this spring? i thought his bat was still not ready for the big leagues but now all i hear is that he's the opening day center fielder. if he's playing up to it then that's great news.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

He batting around .278 for the spring with no homers and a few doubles. If he could do that in the regular season (or even hit .250 with OBP of .350) then we would be a great shape. His defense and speed is already at Major League level. He went 2-3 yesterday (Tuesday).

PS. Does anyone know is Jeriome is still in baseball?

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

what's tavarez doing this spring?

SLG .368
    BA .289

Lane and Taveras are battling for the starting CF position with Lane being a lock for the starting OF, either in CF or RF. Where Biggio plays also muddles the equation. I also think that the Astros want Taveras to start the entire year, so he might have to move to AAA when Berkman returns.

Lastly, Scott has probably hit his way onto the team. I expect the Astros to ride his hot bat as long as it produces.

If Berkman was healthy at te start of the season, I would expect the starting OF to look like

LF: Berkman
    CF: Lane
    RF: Scott
    2nd: Biggio
    AAA: Taveras

With Berkman out, I would expect either of these lineups

LF: Scott
    CF: Taveras
    RF: Lane
    2nd: Biggio

or

LF: Biggio
    CF: Lane
    RF: Scott
    2nd: Burke
    AAA: Taveras

depending on where Garner plays Biggio.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

This guy is unbelievable, he hit another 3 run homerun again today. Astacio also looked great and should be lock for the 5th spot after this game, 4 scoreless innings and 5 strikeouts.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I know it's just ST, but these 2 along with Willy and Burke make me feel good about the near future.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I like Burke alot, but I don't think he's going to get the playing time. If both Scott and Taveras make the team, Biggio plays 2nd and Burke either warms the bench or is sent back to AAA. It will get even worse when Berkman gets back. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being used as trade bait now. Let's face it, Biggio wants 3000 hits and he's going to play until he gets it, at least two more seasons, probably three, and we know that Drayton will let him play as long as he wants.

19. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I can't see Scott having an impact on the big-league level at all. It is extremely rare for a player his age who has never played above AA to have any kind of a career at all. Every year, there are a handful of guys who light it up at ST, and fade away into oblivion once they a.) play in games that count and/or b.) accumulate a statistically significant number of plate appearances and regress to their actual performance.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

two words: Albert Pujols.

I'm not saying Scott is going to be anywhere near him, but Pujols is a player who directly refutes all your claims.