1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

His name is Luka? Does he live in the second floor?

Nook, The Hunted, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

He is supposed to have one of the highest floors of any player in a long time. So, if he's a bust, it would be a surprise to everyone.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

PLEASE.

I know people don't like Ingles, but he is a great role player and I'd kill to have him as a Rocket. An ELITE shooter and a good defender who can also do a little point forward work. Nobody in the draft has that as a FLOOR. Every team in the league would want Ingles as a player to complement their stars. Doncic should have a higher CEILING than that because he can be a star, but his floor is absolutely not "best roleplayer in the NBA."

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Excited to see him against NBA level defenses. You can show me highlights of Euro league all day but hardly - if any of these players pan out. Much less make it through an entire NBA season.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, he shoots like 41-44% treys.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. omgTHEpotential

I think most people are so excited about Doncic because he's nothing like any of the Euro prospects before him. He's been DOMINATING grown men in the Euroleague and has achieved more than anyone at his age. It's going to be really fun watching him go against the absolute cream of the crop defensive talent in the NBA (Tucker, Roberson etc.). I personally think Cuban got the best guy in this draft. I'm really not too high on Ayton, or Bagley.

arno_ed, da_juice, BigO and 2 others like this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Y'all have to remember, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Didn't Parsons have access to this same shooting coach when he was there? His form still looked like he was shooting the ball out of a rocket launcher at the end of his time. Don't stress so much, we don't even really know this guy. He could be a hard headed, difficult dude once he starts playing in the NBA.

8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Some of us do, but some posters here are too smart for their own good. Let his play show them what he is capable.

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

About Summer League, Carlisle said Luka will probably skip it to get some rest. This probably means he isn't going to play for National team as well. Rick said they will focus on his conditioning.

10. omgTHEpotential

Sounds smart. He's done enough for Slovenia already. And I think they should be capable of qualifying even without Luka.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why does he look 6'6 tops to me? He never looks a legit 6'8. His game did remind me a bit of a Joe Johnson and Brandon Roy and Brandon Roy is another guy I never believed was a legit 6'6 215. He looked 6'4 tops and maybe 200 tops(Kobe always looked so much bigger all around than him). I'll probably confirm this about Luka once he's in the NBA next to legit 6'8 players like LeBron(not 6'9 300lbs lbs as his height/weight get exaggerated every year). Just like the apparent 6'4 Donovan Mitchell who looks 2-3 inches shorter than Westbrook or Harden and barely any taller than the 6'0 CP3. It's like they measured at the top of his hair.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

As far as Luka himself. I don't hope he busts. I'll still be rooting for him to make it partly because I know there's a ton of people expecting him to bust because he's white. I believe he'll be a nice role player and make the All-Star bench at least once in his career. Don't expect him to be some superstar like Dirk, but like Dirk, I hated him for so long(mostly because of his flailing and complaining) and in the end I gained so much respect for him and allowed myself to take off the Mavs hate and Rockets homer glasses and saw how awesome of a personality Dirk has and just how likeable he is. I do rank him a lot lower on the all time PF list than a lot of people seem to rank, but he was a great player. Having Dirk(especially if he decides to live in Dallas and maybe work for the Mavs after retirement and not go back to Germany) and the Mavs organization should be really good for Luka's career. Cuban will be 100% loyal to him IMO. That goes even if he busts. I don't think he'll give up on him.

Mavs are starting to build themselves something again, but I think if their guys max out as star players, their team will max out at Wizards level with Wall and Beal. Difference is Dallas has potential to draw in more stars.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at supporting anyone associated with the Mavs. I hope he sucks and the Mavs continue to be mediocre. Anyone who roots for a Mavs player doesn't belong here. Might as well go buy a Malone and Stockton jersey too. Sellouts

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

Let it all out

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I guess you missed the memo about the 19 yr old kid who just dominated a league tougher than the NCAA huh? Maybe he doesn't turn into a surefire all star but a player who can dominate the Euroleague is a NBA quality 6th man at worst(barring injuries). If you have the opportunity to draft a guy who will be a franchise player at best or an Eric Gordon/first man off the bench spark plug at worst - that's a pretty safe bet.

There may have been some high quality big men in this draft but in the context of the way the game is currently played - a really good big man is still nowhere near as impactful to a rebuilding team as a decent passing, shooting, shot creator. That is why I was shocked he went 3rd. Phoenix I can understand because they think Booker is the guard of their future, but the Kings & Hawks had no excuses - particularly Atlanta who thinks rolling the dice on Trae Young+ a pick that could fall anywhere in the 5-12 range next year has better odds at improving the win total than Doncic.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He looks like the white James Harden. Not super athletic, but gets it done.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  17. omgTHEpotential

He's doing this under strictly called travel rules too. I think with the more liberal NBA rules he'll have an even better step-back game.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

his floor is durant and ceiling is lerbon. wish he retires a rocket.

19. omgTHEpotential

Just the man I was thinking about. How would you evaluate Luka's mom?

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

omgTHEpotential likes this.