1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I doubt his shooting will get better because the cause of it is his athleticism. He is basically Jimmer fredette or Adam Morrison. Highly skilled player but too unathletic to be in the NBA. Of course due to the rules Young has an easier time thab Morrison but its still not enough given his horrible %s.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Inability to win isn't normally a sign of overachieving...anything. I would argue its a sign of an underachieving team.

I think its simply a matter of the Mavs being young, and not getting over the hump on road games. Many of those games, against good teams, have been down to the wire.

3. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Athleticism?

Traes shot can get better without that. Simply by adjusting to the pace of the game, a different system, or heck better teammates. Put Harden on his team, put him in MDAs system, etc.

His defensive upside is limited and is currently pretty bad. Like worse than Nash type, but he's a way better playmaker than people give credit for and I think he'll be a borderline NBA all star caliber player.

He's not that terrible as Jimmer or Ammo. Trade can't be quantified until we see what that pick amounts to. Luke is clear ROY, but prospect wise that Memphis guy looks the best by far.

4. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Beal to Houston.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pretty sure Morrison's FG would also improve if he played with better teammates or a better system.

Trae Young is supposed to be a highly skilled high IQ player right? If this is the case why does he need so much "adjustment" his 3 pt% is 26% lol? Bagley III for example was much more raw than Trae so you would think he would need more adjustment but he is shooting 35% from 3 much better than Trae "Curry" Young. But if Trae is more skilled and polished than Young how come hus efficiency is so bad? Clearly this is due to his athleticism, he struggled so badly in SL not a surprise he would also struggle in the NBA.

Ok Trae Young has playmaking skills. But if his shooting is bad and his defense is bad how can he be a borderline all star player? If Young wasn't a top pick he would have been cut by now with those numbers.

Trae Young : 38% FG 26% 3 pt
    Adam Morrison rookie year: 37% FG 33% 3 pt

6. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Eventually, borderline all-star. Obviously not right now. Players improve, not sure you grasp that concept. Go look at a lot of PGs and see their first 1-2 years.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Name me borderline allstars who started out shooting 38% FG and 26% from 3 and bad D with lots of PT.

Of course people can improve but you have to have evidence he will improve to the level of borderline all star. Is MCW a future borderline allstar? Sure he sucks now but he can improve, not sure if you grasp that concept.

MCW is shooting 41% FG and 36% from 3 and has way better D than Trae Young. And people here think MCw sucks but somehow Trae Young who is shooting worse and has bad D is an eventual borderline allstar lol. Rather than being an eventual borderline all star he should worry about not being a bust first.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Luca needs to chill on these visible tats. He needs to be as lily white as possible to maximize his bag.

9. omgTHEpotential

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

PATENT PENDING!? WTF? Harden is the originator of the step-back 3.. This is the disrespect I'm talking about..

Luka's step-back is surprisingly effortless though.

11. omgTHEpotential

Maybe Harden just forgot to patent it :oops: Luka taking advantage. Typical white privilege.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden won an MVP of this move alone.. Harden needs to file paper work now?

[​IMG]

White privilege indeed. Build the wall! stop letting these immigrants in!!

heypartner, HP3 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL, I see Luca is also pretty good at drawing fouls too, ....apparently he's pretty crafty hmmmmmmmm.

DreamShook and heypartner like this.
  14. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

MCW is a great example of the opposite. I'm not sure what they shot but look at PGs like Tony Parker, Kemba Walker, Mike Conley Jr., Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook among others. Idk their numbers off the top of my head but these guys were pretty shitty and none had the demands or even poor caliber roster around them as Trae did. Even go further back and check out Jason Terry as a rookie, maybe even Bibby or Nash.

I think it's ludicrous to say Trae is a bust right now. Let's see after his rookie contract. Fwiw, I always saw him as a Bibby/Terry blend. Less scoring, more playmaking. He's a very underrated playmaker.

15. omgTHEpotential

15-3
    2-15

16. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Cool white guys get sleeves now or at least a forearm tattoo. After the designated back tattoo.

DreamShook likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Reddick got his tat sleeve I thought it was over for all lily whites. Parsons is still in pristine condition. Knees on back order though.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

None of those guys had numbers as bad as Trae Young's lol same thing for Bibby and Nash. Bibby and Terry never shot 28% from 3 either. Oh wait, Bibby did shoot 28% from 3, his final year before he retired when he scored just 3 pts a game. Just shows you 28% from 3 is bad enougb to kick you out of the league.

NBA caliber pg has to have different things, he needs to play make, defend, shoot and rebound. Young only has playmaking, the rest of his skills are horrible bad D, atrocious shooting and very little to no rebounding. That isn't good enough to even stay in an NBA roster much less be a borderline allstar. You should know the number first befire you compare Steve freaking Nash to Trae Young wtf. Nash played in an era with handcheck rules and he still shot better than Young his rookie year lol. Lonzo Ball git mocked last year but Trae Young makes him look like Steph Curry shooting wise.

You don't need to wait for hsi contract expires, his numbers alone already show Atlanta made a huge mistake in drafting him over Luka or basically anybody in the top 10. Dunno how much upside Young has because he is so unathletic hard to see him improving drastically. How can you teach him to move faster and jump higher? These are inborn traits no amount of training will give him the ability to create separation from defenders to get his shot off.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably Player of the Week . .. thought Harden has better numbers and record

Rocket River
    Narrative building