1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is not producing at a high level lol, his numbers are all due to sky high usage rates his efficiency is off the charts bad. Pretty sure he is a bust unless he magically becomes extremely athletic due to training.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see the iverson or curry comparisons either. i mean curry played 3yrs in college and is really more of a shooting guard, with guys like donkey and iggy doing a lot of the playmaking there. iverson is simply one of the most athletic and best finishers to ever play. and btw both these guys are listed in the top 10 ever shooting guards on nba.com. so i'm not sure who to compare trae young to. i mean he may not even pan out if he's unable to improve his J. but the court vision and quickness do make him an intriguing 20yr old prospect imo. regarding his quickness i see him routinely getting by the first line of defenders without even needing handles. but then there's big guys in the paint to contend with afterwards

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there's a flipside to that possibility as well in that better finishers around him could take pressure off to make plays on his own. i mean right now he's only 20 and played one year college ball. we probably won't really know if he's average, great, or a bust for a few more years. but the court vision and quickness make him unique because it's usually one or the other, rarely do you see a prospect with both those gifts together

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Bleacher report's rookie ladder doesn't agree with you...but I haven't watched enough of him to form an opinion of my own.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bleacher report also says his production outweighs the inefficiency dude is shooting 38.3% FG I mean the more volume he has the more he will cause the team lose due to missing shots. If Trae was a rookie on the Rockets roster instead of Atlanta's Golden Child everybody would be cursing him with that FG%.

Look at Rondo and make him unathletic and bad defensively is that a good player in the NBA? Thats basically Trae Young. Maybe Trae has better vision but Rondo actually has better shooting (lol).

What I will say though is I'm surprised his 2 FG% is pretty high at 47.7% so he is indeed quicker than I give him credit for. However that kind of quickness is gonna be gone in a few years especially since he was never that athletic to begin with.

Koperboy likes this.
  6. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

he was colder than a glass of kombutcha

8. omgTHEpotential

Genius.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. BullRider

BullRider Member

smart & young. dallas got a chip in the game now.

Koperboy and hakeem94 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ROY! ROY! (not really a rookie, played for one of the best Euro teams)

Ponies got the new lesser SF version of Dirk.

#550 daywalker02, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Koperboy likes this.
  11. VanityHalfBlack

The next Dirk, he whooped up on the rockets.

12. omgTHEpotential

A rookie is a rookie, imo. Most (if not all) other draft picks wouldn't have accomplished what he did if they started in Europe as opposed to highschool/college.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Lesser?
    -19 year old white kid from Slovenia breaking all the records in the NBA
    -lesser version of Dirk

choose one.

Dirk is finished product and is one of the greats for sure, but Doncic accomplishments, level of play at the age of 19 and ceiling are higher than Dirks. Not certain it will fulfil, but still they may got someone that may end up even greater than predecessor

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its funny reading all the people hating on him in this thread.

That Trae for Luka trade is going to keep looking worse. I don't why the suns didn't draft him and sign Clint. They would be in the playoff hunt.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

Also that Dallas pick won't even be top8. I'm guessing a late lottery pick in what seems a pretty top heavy draft... Trae might become a solid player once it's all said and done, but he will always have major flaws (undersized, defensive sieve). I think Bagley will end up being a more impactful player than Young.

roslolian likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah Trae hype reminds me of hunting for the next MJ when teams were picking every 6’6 sg who could dunk. But this time some are looking for next Steph.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Mavs did the right thing, risky move but aggressive, i like it, Doncic is that good, part of his game reminds me of Bodiroga (euro dudes around here should get what i'm saying) which is a plus, he's a unique player.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is nothing to choose.

Everyone wants to be their own star, of course, we as fans tend to compare.

You are in the NBA, there are one season and two season wonders, it's the third season when most of those guys make their leap.

Including Harden.

roslolian likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You can't have less risk than 19 yr old Euroleague MVP lol

He was the least risky draft since Anthony Davis, Doncic was guaranteed to be at worst starter level player in the NBA. Dallas super lucky they got him.

Vivi likes this.
  20. omgTHEpotential

Bodiroga would feast in this era in the NBA.

hakeem94 and Vivi like this.