1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Why should this be a joke?

This was also posted on a dallas mavs forum, some guys commented:

2. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Can anyone who is a subscriber paste the article? Thanks!

NVM, just tried the free trial. Here it is:

Dallas deserves Luka Doncic. He’s an international teenage superstar poised to take over for the Mavericks’ aging one; a Slovenian sensational who was probably well-known by world-traveler-slash-general-manager Donnie Nelson long before the rest of the league noticed. Dallas gambled that Dirk Nowitzki would stay hidden two decades ago, but that doesn’t happen anymore, not in 2018. But when Doncic fell two spots, and when the Hawks didn’t covet him, they traded that No. 3 overall selection to the Mavericks. It’s the same pick Dallas could have had with just one more loss, since they finished tied in the standings with Atlanta, only for the lottery odds to sink them two spots below. But it worked out in the end, and Dallas got their man.

Rick Carlisle deserves Doncic, too. Carlisle’s a sometimes-surly head coach who loosened up with last year’s rookie, entrusting him with the offense even while he made mistakes. It’ll be even easier to trust Doncic, a 19-year-old who plays like he’s 10 years older and who fills Carlisle’s constant desire for multiple ball handlers and shot creators. Doncic will defend power forwards this season, something Carlisle noted at media day, while still running pick-and-rolls as a primary creator.

Doncic brings new energy and excitement to Dallas, too. There’s more footage of Doncic playing highly competitive basketball than perhaps anyone else in this year’s draft, but he still feels mysterious. That will quickly change – as I write this Wednesday, the first preseason game is less than 72 hours away. While we wait, here’s what we know about him.

How has Doncic looked this summer?
    He’s often been the best player on the floor during team scrimmages at the Mavericks practice facility. One Mavericks staffer told me that Doncic has frequently thrown passes that made him say, out loud, “Wow.” Wesley Matthews described another moment where he thought Doncic had stopped playing, turning his back to him, only for a pass to miraculously end up in his hands. And you’ve probably heard the high praise from Dirk Nowitzki and Harrison Barnes, something fully worth paying attention to.

It’s not just the passing but the shooting that has Doncic playing so well. “Any concerns about his shooting are gone,” one team staffer told me. Doncic’s three-point percentage was low in the Euroleague, shooting 31 percent across 73 games for Real Madrid last season. But for the most part, Doncic was the Real Madrid offense, creating everything and often forcing up heavily-contested looks. He hardly ever had spot-up attempts. In Dallas, the quality of his shot attempts should improve greatly – and in scrimmages, it sounds like it already has.

Sure, Doncic can average 50 points and 25 assists in every scrimmage, and it doesn’t matter until games actually start. But there’s no buyer’s remorse about him in Dallas, rest assured.

What about Doncic’s body concerns?
    Doncic still has baby fat; multiple Mavericks staffers have told me he could lose 10 to 15 pounds. That’s not a bad thing. No player comes into their rookie season at their body’s best possible shape. In the same way Carlisle has raved about Dennis Smith’s shape coming into training camp this year, expect Doncic’s improved athleticism to be a storyline over the next couple summers.

It’s inaccurate to say athleticism can’t be improved. We all understand that due to genetics, Doncic will never leap or sprint like Smith. But due to genetics, he’s also five inches taller — and dedicated strength and diet work can improve certain aspects of Doncic’s athleticism, say, five or 10 percent. Consider someone like Dwight Powell, who turned into a deadly pick-and-roll player in large part to his improved fitness. Doncic may already have the skills of a 10-year veteran, but there’s plenty of room to improve.

How does Doncic fit with the Mavericks?
    Like Carlisle noted, Doncic is slotted to play power forward. That really just means he’ll defend power forwards, and maybe be defended by them. Also said at media day: “Dennis and Luka will be our two primary playmakers off the dribble.” Don’t worry, Doncic will touch the ball in point-guard-like quantities.

Carlisle prefers to play multiple ball handlers, even three guards at a time. Doncic’s presence makes that easy; the team won’t have to sacrifice size or hide mismatches as frequently. Doncic averaged more than five rebounds per game last season in the Euroleague (in shorter games), and he’ll be a terror when he pulls down boards and starts breaks without needing to outlet. Likewise, Doncic running weak-side pick-and-rolls against off-balance defenses – how do you stop that?

It may take weeks before Doncic and Smith figure each other out completely. They are 19 and 20, jointly learning how to run an NBA offense, something that takes time. But they’ll get there.

Are Doncic’s tattoos satanic?
    According to one incredible message board thread, yes. Like the body builder forum debate or [insert your own nonsensical online argument here], it’s just peak ridiculous internet. You’ll get sucked in before you know it.

Sorry for bringing this to your attention. If I have to see it, so do y’all.

Give me the best/worst case scenarios.
    BEST: Doncic has Rookie of the Year locked up by February. He’s a phenom whose Euroleague skills are only amplified by the increased talent around him. The top-10 plays from this NBA season are all Doncic passes. While doing this, he also moonlights as a professional Fortnite player on the side, where he wins that league’s Rookie of the Year Award, too.

WORST: Doncic struggles to adjust to the increased athleticism around him – he doesn’t quite get the same separation on pick-and-rolls, and his shooting stays at similar percentages to his Euroleague ones. He slowly morphs into a Fortnite addict, eroding into his practice time and causing him to miss one game, with the box score reading ‘DNP-Fortnite.’ We learn in April it’s because he’s cursed from his Satanic tattoos. He should’ve known better, that devil worshiper.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We're gonna try and switch Doncic onto Harden and CP3 and tear his ass up. Harden could check him though imo.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Halftime at Beijing Ducks - Dallas Mavericks right now. Tuned in for 2nd quarter and saw Luka play most of it. From what I've seen, I can't say that I'm either thoroughly impressed or disappointed. Mildly surprised, in a positive way!

Good thing is Luka is not afraid to shoot, pass or taking it to the hole. He's had some turnovers, either because miscomunication with teammates or dribbling too much. But he's sure not nervous. Shooting the ball very well at the moment, had a great weakside block, few good rebounds in traffic.

So despite turnovers, I love what I see. His ball handling at that size...man!

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

I liked that block a lot. But he's kind of being used as a stretch four. They should let him initiate the offense more and make plays for others.

Crashlanded19 and Koperboy like this.
  6. BackdoorHarden

Didn't realize he was that big. Or those chinese players were really small. And only 19 years old. This kid is going to be crazy good. I can't believe 3 teams passed up on this guy

roslolian and Koperboy like this.
  7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I think Rick let DSJ handle the ball a bit more in the 2nd half of 2nd quarter and 1st half of 3rd. Luka got his opportunities at beginning of the game, but it's obvious DSJ is more comfortable at leading the team right now. Not a surprise after being their PG for a whole year.

What Luka showed in 3rd quarter is his play off the ball. He shot 2-3 for 3pt in that quarter and when opponents started giving him less space, he punished them with drive-and-kick game.

I really hope his shooting touch stays with him throughout the season. I don't think his body is fully ready for NBA yet, as he can shave another 5-10 pounds easily. With good shooting, he won't have to take so much contact and he will have less opportunities for injury until he develops enough athletically. Btw, another great block from him, this time on 3pt shot!

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Doncic doesn’t look like he’s in great shape at all...been eating Big Macs for breakfast it seems

bmelo likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All I watched were his highlights... so yeah. But he looks legit to me. Will it be 30 straight years of white boy dominance in Dallas?

malakas, MorningZippo and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm sure he'll be a great player, but not sure he'll be a franchise player. His handles are excellent for his size, but he is no Ben Simmons in that regard. Nor does it look like he will be able to play defense like Simmons. Looking like a young, taller Klay Thompson to me personally.

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Simmons is athletically on another level. If Luka closes that gap even by half, I'm sure he can be better than Simmons because of his shooting.
    Klay comparison is a bit weak IMO because of Luka's passing skills.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nah ! hes a lot better creator than klay

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Athletically forget about it. Simmons will be more athletic when he's 35 than when Doncic is 25. But that's not necessarily a determinant of how good they are.

As far as Luka closing the gap on Simmons athletically, it is way more likely that Simmons will hit 40% of his 3's in the future than Luka closing that athleticism gap by half. Athleticism just doesn't improve that much even in rare exceptions in history and the gap is enormous between these 2.

Luka's an excellent passer, but he is no Ben Simmons. Right now, for him to average 8 assists he would have to also cough up 5 TO's > which is not a similar rookie season to Simmons'. He is going to be a really good passer for a stretch 4, but he is not going to run the point any longer than Giannis did. His value there is sort of similar to Draymond in that: he better not be your PG, but if he is your second best passer you are in great shape.

I think marginally. If Klay played the 4, he would be driving and kicking like crazy too. Neither of them is capable of being a PG (at least not yet).

Will be interesting to watch him develop. I wish he were closer to being there because from the reports it's looking like this season will be wasted on getting him in shape. And if you're starting to get in shape after training camp as a rookie who played all summer for your national team, chances are you are going to be fatigued 40 games in. Then next summer becomes about getting some strength on that frame. The Mavs will take care of it, they have plenty of time before contending.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. omgTHEpotential

I don't think the Klay comparison makes any sense to be honest. Klay is a far superior shooter, while Doncic is a far superior playmaker. Their size is also different, other skills... They're just 2 very different players, I don't know how you came up with this comparison.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. omgTHEpotential

@Mathloom I think a better comparison on offense would be a shorter, bulkier Gallinari. Or a mix between Gallinari and Draymond.

Mathloom, ParaSolid and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

isn't playing beijing like playing uh-level talent?