1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowe - 13 Most Fascinating Lineups

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Jul 17, 2020.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29474201/nba-13-most-fascinating-lineups-watch-orlando

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Zach is the best NBA writer in the business. He knows his stuff on all the teams and gives honest takes. This is a very fair assessment of the Rockets, in my opinion.

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Really well said

DeBeards and jch1911 like this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Lowe seems to believe that once we get in a seven game series, a lot of the novelty around our style will fade away and teams will be more able to sort of camp the center in the middle again while employing some sort of zone, either that or putting the center on WB and sagging more and more, daring him to shoot 5-10 threes a game. I hope we’re ready for the counter, which unfortunately to me means putting the ball in WB’s hands more and more to initiate the offense. Everyone is starting to realize Gordon is the key here.

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

"Most stick centers on Tucker, and dare Tucker and Westbrook to beat them with above-the-break 3s"

This is something I noted watching some games back. They don't use Tucker much on the pick n pop, it's mostly Covington now. Cov has taken 88 3 pointers above the break in 14 games, Tucker has taken 56 in 64 games. Obviously PJ's strength is the corner, but being able to take the center completely out of the paint in a really weak help position would be quite beneficial. I think they may need to run more pick n pop with Tucker above the break.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think that is a role more suited for Jeff Green. Green is a threat above the break because he can pick and pop or roll hard to basket and finish above rim hard.

PJ does not have same threat versatility. And it's not just because he no longer has the hops but both RoCo and Green are 6'7 or taller to go along with their greater length.

joshuaao, BigMaloe, Russjr2 and 2 others like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

However I would quibble with his analysis that Hardens game reduced Capelas role and made him obsolete. Capela has nothing but speed and length. Its not like Harden stunted Clints development trajectory. It was Westbrook and only Westbrook that changed Capelas fit.

Remlap and D-rock like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He's spot on. The best way to defend the Rockets is camp a big man in the paint, count on NBA refs to forget that 3 seconds calls exist, and face guard the 3 point line. Thats why Chris Paul's underrated midrange was so deadly.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I agree with this and I think J Green will play a big role if we are successful. He is long, athletic, can shoot (at a decent rate) and is capable of putting it on the floor and attacking (and finishing above the rim). These are skill sets we have been needing in a PF/C for this team. If he was 2 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier he would be perfect, but I will take what i can get. Im hoping he has been working on his game to fit in and be that difference maker we need him to be at C.

D-rock, jch1911 and DeBeards like this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

There two sorta nba writers / commentators, one is focused on the hoop itself, the other luv mixing it up w/ bunches of entertainment elements.
    More or less, the league prefers the latter, imho. This is not easy for Zach to stick to it.