1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Louisiana school hits Rastafarian teen with ‘unlimited suspension’ over his dreadlocks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Aug 27, 2014.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/...ith-unlimited-suspension-over-his-dreadlocks/

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If the policy applies and is enforced with all male hair, I have limited problem with the school's decision. Hygiene and presentation is important, critically so for black men, or, frankly anyone with a southern accent.

If they get a big Hasidim community at some point, then maybe not.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

sooo . . .as long as it is this black man . . .it is fine
    but . . . if it infringed on some fine white folx . . .you have a limited problem

just so I am clear i understand you . . .

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That's not what I got from his post

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hobby lobby FTW.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what anyone got from his post.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Most Rastas I've came across do not like to be called Rastafarians...

Rules are rules but the kid has a religious faith. Pin it up and cover it up. Problem for the school is there are a lot of males in Louisiana that have dreads who are not Rastafari.

9. rudan

rudan Member

That's good......

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Religious non-blacks taking their kids out of schools will do more damage to our society than adding some more toked-out cover corners to the 50% or whatever ungodly number the black dropout rate is in Louisiana. Not shocked by your failure to distinguish between Jewish-Americans and other white people, particularly in the context of religious suppression.

11. Remii

Remii Member

This thread isn't even one page deep yet... Lol..

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True RR didn't distinguish between Jews and other white people but I am not sure what the difference is. You seem to be saying that blacks and / or people with southern accents religious adherence should be less importance than presentation and hygiene yet you add an exception regarding Hasidim.

Why couldn't a Rastafarian both honor their religion and still get an education? Or for that matter why shouldn't then a bunch of Hasidim also be forced to abide by the schools standards of hygiene presentation?

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Some religions are larger, have an older tradition and more cultural significance in the west, as well as a much longer history of enduring persecution at the direct hands of western society. Blacks, black males, black teen males, black teen males in the South have academic and behavioral deficiencies and developmental mandates that should matter far more to public schools than dispensations for religious and nakedly obvious racial and sartorial self-expression. Furthermore in the Hasidim scenario they wouldn't necessarily be given a special exception, the rule as a whole would have to be re-examined.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The black Hasidic Jewish population must be through the roof.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That's precisely what we're suppose to protect against. The laws are to ensure the equal rights of minorities (whether racial or religious).

Larger and older tradition/cultural significance do not need protection. Heck there's always a contingency that does the opposite, like making prayer time in school mandatory.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's just incredible the amount of authoritarian culture schools try to impose on children.

There's a way and amount of discipline that children need to understand (not just consume) at gradually declining levels, and with limits of course. This whole thing however has gotten ridiculously out of hand.

Unless the dude is somehow affecting other kids' ability to learn, I can't see how this is important. The idea that presentation is important is a dead idea, which is why workplace attire is gradually becoming more casual.

If this is a private school I hope the kid leaves. If it's a public school, they should get their asses handed to them. I wonder if they are serious enough to, for example, ban any kind of necklace from school properties even though that's prime real estate for Christian symbolism. Necklaces can be used as a weapon and school violence is up, so that would make a LOT more sense than regulating hair LENGTH.

Really depressing to see such stuff in one of the more modern and free countries in 2014.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sooo . . what do you guys get from:

Just so I am clear

Rocket River

18. Remii

Remii Member

That we can't blame white folks for executing Jesus...

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is complete and utter BS. I'm not sure that you understand how America is supposed to work.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^This^^