1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LOSING CREDIBILITY] Worst Article Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketman95, Feb 13, 2005.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

That's not an apples to apples comparison, though given that baseball plays 10 times as many games as the NFL.

2. gwayneco

No, but that leaves 18 other teams.

I would say about 12 or so teams have reasonable chances of making the playoffs as late as September 1.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

my point is that you cant say, with the exception of maybe the cards, that any one team has zero chance of making the playoffs in football...nor can you guarantee that a SB team will make it the folllowing year given the fact that they play a 1st place schedule (as opposed to baseball where you can play the dregs of the league 15 times a year-almost 10% of the season

4. gwayneco

A very short season helps here because a team can go from 6-10 to 9-7 by winning just three more games. That would happen frequently on it's own even without a salary cap.

It's also somewhat more difficult to make the playoffs in MLB (8 of 30 teams) vs. the NFL (12 of 32).

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

4. Fenway Park — There's a magic there unlike any other place in sports. There's a stateliness that transcends even the special things that have happened there.

Fenway Park is an utter f***ing s***hole. Easily the worst place I've ever seen a ballgame (Okay, the Vet was worse, but still...). Tickets are impossible to get and the scalpers are ruthless. If you sit in the outfield, that's all you have access to; no pics from behind homeplate and no touching the Monster. No leg room, tiny seats and horrible concessions. If you're sitting in center field (as I was) and you sit straight in your seat and look directly in front of you, you get a gorgeous view of...Pesky's Pole in right field. And, you'll be surrounded by Red Sox fans...drunken, ignorant, violent Red Sox fans who, winning or losing, will start a "Yankees Suck" chant by the 7th inning at the latest even though they're playing Texas. I went because it's Fenway and there IS all the history, but the bottom line is that it's an old, cramped, out-dated stadium that makes watching a game a chore to be endured rather than a pleasure to be enjoyed.

18. Dodger Dogs — Research shows they're as close to the perfect food as now exists. And the setting at Dodger Stadium ain't too bad, either.

Some of the worst hotdogs in baseball. I have never heard a single person outside of Los Angelenos and sportswriters praise Dodger Dogs.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Colt --

man...i disagree with you on Fenway. i freaking love it. it's a shrine. a great place to watch a baseball game with great freaking fans. like a college football atmosphere 81 times a year.

7. NJRocket

Fenway is awesome with a capital A baby! And i ain;t just whistlin Vitale-speak.

I have been fortunate enough to see World Series (1986) games, playoff games and even the All Star Game there....it, and Yankee Stadium need to be preserved and not replaced....ever!

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I knew that'd get a response. Thanks for at least being civil about it.:)

I understand about the history of the place and when you first walk in and see how GREEN everything is, it's impressive, but it's just such a miserable experience to actually watch a game there. At least, it has been for me. Even my buddy from Boston who I go with has a love/hate relationship with the place.

I'll admit I've only sat in the outfield and have been told I just need better seats. And, having been there, I'm happy to be able to say I HAVE been there, but I just don't feel the need to go back. Unless, of course, somebody wants to pass along some Monster seats, gratis.

The one park that, for me, evoked all the reverence of which folks speak of Fenway, was Tiger Stadium. That place was amazing.

To each his own.

Oh, and for the record, I don't get Wrigley either. The neighborhood is great and it is a nice ballpark, but it certainly wasn't the transcendant experience people make it out to be.

9. NJRocket

I actually agree with you on Wrigley...i didn't hate it, but i didnt get the feeling that I was anywhere special. It could have been that i didn't see an important game...and when I went, the Cubs were horrible (not to mention I hate the Cubs)....but i had decent seats and still didn't love it.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm totally with you on Wrigley. I was immensely disappointed in that experience.