1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LOSING CREDIBILITY] Worst Article Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketman95, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Listen, I'm a huge baseball fan. It may be my favorite sport. However, Richard Justice is doing is best to ruin all sports for me. I read this little gem while downing some fajitas and eggs at Goode Co. this morning.

Thirty reasons why baseball is way better than football
    By RICHARD JUSTICE

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3036521

I'll just highlight my favorite parts. This is seriously worse than his Duhon fellatio last year...

1. Parity — Baseball has it. Football doesn't. Baseball has had five champions the last five years. The New England Patriots have won something like 20 straight Super Bowls.

3. Major League Players Association — Unlike football, baseball has a union that's strong and vibrant and watches out for the best interests of its players. There'll never be a salary cap in baseball.

11. Slogans — Football coaches paste them all over their locker rooms as if players have to be constantly reminded that playing hard and being unselfish is important. Most baseball players get it.

14. Overtime games — You mean a coin flip could decide it?

15. Bud Selig — He's the guy in your neighborhood who almost everyone likes. He's revered by players and owners alike for his integrity and toughness. His legacy will include labor peace, wild-card berths, interleague play and record-setting attendance. He'll be the commissioner all future ones will be measured against.

16. Paul Tagliabue — If we admired smugness, we'd make him king of the world.

19. Quarterback school — Is it where you go to finish your degree? Why does the NFL have so many of them? There must be some really dumb quarterbacks.

26. Terrell Owens — Baseball would consider him a bore. Football sees him as a cult hero.

27. Billy Wagner — He's 5-9 and throws 100 mph. Next.

28. September — There's nothing like the grinding, relentless pressure of a pennant race. The season rides on almost every pitch. The players are physically spent and mentally exhausted, and yet, they remember forever how great it was.

29. Coaches who sleep in their offices — Does it really help? What exactly are you trying to prove? Baseball managers go to dinner, not to the office, after games.

These really don't deserve any additional comment from me. Feel free to add, even though I think they are proof enough alone that Richard Justice has officially jumped the shark. Too bad he couldn't have fallen into the mouth. :)

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah man, I totally agree. Richard Justice is. . . wait, fajitas and eggs? What is that, it sound delecious. Are they like scrambled together? This isn't Goode Co. BBQ, where do get this meal at? Oh yeah, Richard Justice sucks.

EDIT: Ok, looked it up, Goode Company Taqueria.

#2 Oski2005, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Guys... you're supposed to take this article with a little "tounge in cheek."

He doesn't mean to be literal or anything... for the most part. I didn't think it was too "entertaining" either, but that's what it was meant to be (not an actual 30 reasons why you should switch your loyalties to baseball).

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know it was supposed to be entertaining, but at least make it a little smarter.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No argument there... it was like he was drunk when he wrote it.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Justice realizes what city and state he's writing for...

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wrong. He was sober when he wrote it, and therein was/is the problem.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hey, I've got a great idea! I'll write a column disparaging football IN TEXAS!!!

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I need to be fair. I did want to post the one part of the article I wholeheartedely agreed with:

10. All-Star Game — It's one of the showcase events in sports. It even counts for something. Does football still play the Pro Bowl?

The Pro Bowl is the most meaningless game in sports. I did an informal survey (as opposed to the vast array of formal surveys I normally conduct) this weekend of friends and other bar members and I have yet to find or ever meet someone (that I know of) that watches this game.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

agreed completely with #10.

What is it with the pro bowl.....what a joke.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

To lose credibility....don't you need to have had it first?

Pro Bowl i sgreat

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the 3 stupidest:

1. parity - uhh, baseball is the king of haves and have nots. football is parity land.

2. selig is the guy everyone likes - most people seem to hate him. i don't have a problem with him and hearing bob costas speak highly of him makes me respect what he's done, but that's not the mindset of most people.

3. sleeping in the office - does it help? uhh, if you wanna stay ahead of the curve. from what i gather, belichick watches tons of game tape. seems to help. baseball managers show up, fill out a lineup card, and make a few switches based on matchups. a little different.

but then agian, justice being a moron is nothing new.

13. msn

msn Member

How did I know that would be a Richard Justice article when I saw your thread title?

Justice is an idiot. Time and time again, he proves that there are two words for his excuse for journalism:

Mindless. Drivel.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, guys. Lousy column, excellent columnist. His body of work is good stuff.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it is?

he likes to get a rise out of people. he's a gimmick journalist.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I saw this article......in fact, I read it right before I read the Chronicle's projected opening day lineup for the Astros. How dare they assume what our lineup will be in mid Feb.

17. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

1. Ugh, you have heard of the New England Patriots, haven't you?

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, it is a good body of work.
    Yes, he like to get a rise out of people.
    'Gimmick journalist'? Maybe. But, 'gonzo journalist'? No way.

19. msn

msn Member

Huh? His body of *baseball* stuff is laden with misinformation, schoolyard whining, and baseless editorializing. Article after article, every summer, can be dismissed point-by-point by anyone who has even basic knowledge of what is actually going on. In other forums on which I have participated, we would play games with who could list the most factual errors in a Richard Justice article. The most I ever found were ten. Justice's writing SUCKS. For actual professional sports journalism, one has to read something other than the Houston Chronicle. Denver has a pretty good rag, IMO.

20. msn

msn Member

Dumbass writer? Absolutely.