1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like the Oak Tree will be released....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Feb 7, 2002.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

..should Houston....nah, nevermind.

http://www.chicagosports.com/bulls/content/story/0,1984,174615,00.html

Bulls discussing letting veteran go

By K.C. Johnson
    Tribune staff reporter

February 6, 2002 11:38 PM CST

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    E-mail this story
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LOS ANGELES - Charles Oakley missed his third straight game with a sore right wrist Wednesday, and that wasn't the only status quo aspect of his day.

The veteran forward, mindful that his role will continue to decrease as that of Tyson Chandler's increases, continued his season-long pining for a different location.

"I'm probably best suited for a veteran team," Oakley said after skipping the Bulls' morning shootaround at Los Angeles Southwest College. "I could help a lot of teams.

"Teams are always looking for a big body inside who can play the game, has been around and understands. I don't need a lot of shots. I can play just 12 to 15 minutes, maybe 20. I'll do whatever."

Oakley finally might get that chance. A team source said management has discussed the possibility of releasing Oakley outright because his $7.3 million salary makes him difficult to trade.

The move would have to made before March 1 if Oakley is to be eligible for the playoff roster of whatever team signed him. The Bulls released John Starks three weeks after the deadline in 2000, which angered Starks.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," general manager Jerry Krause said from home, where he battled a cold. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it and as we see how Tyson [Chandler] plays.

"[Coach] Bill [Cartwright] and I are going to sit down after the break and discuss things. But nothing's imminent. We have time."

Throughout this season Oakley has maintained he won't ask Krause to trade him, which the veteran likens to bailing out on his teammates. But Oakley also has taken every opportunity to express his puzzlement and displeasure at being on the Bulls.

"Jerry keeps saying teams can't fit me in the cap, this and that," Oakley said. "Jerry brought me here, and I don't know what the reason was. But I just have to deal with it."

Meanwhile Cartwright is dealing with things such as Oakley not taking the team bus and arriving shortly before tipoff for road games in which he's not playing.

It's likely Chandler would've started Wednesday's game even if Oakley were healthy. But Oakley insists he has no problem with Chandler's role increasing.

"I told them they should start the rookies and young guys," Oakley said. "They need time. I was brought here on their behalf. … But I don't have a contract for next year.

"I didn't have a great year starting off, so make the decision. I only have 2= months left. I like the guys. I'm going to make the best of my time here. I'm not going to turn my back on them."

Hold the hot sauce: Lakers assistant Tex Winter, who's retiring—really, this time he's serious—at season's end, is legendary for his iron stomach. But Winter, 80, had a recent scare when a pickle with hot sauce and acid reflux forced him to a Philadelphia hospital.

"It knocked me out," said Winter, who had a series of physicals Wednesday. "But I'll live."

Cartwright, whom Winter praised, said: "He has been known to eat old sandwiches too."

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ahhh! Not Oak!

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Oakley has made it clear that he wants to play for a veteran team.I would not be surprised if he joined the Jazz as his style of rough play is very similar to their game.