1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

London & Paris

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by juicystream, Jul 12, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Will be in each for 4 days next month. What are the must do's in each place including areas outside the city that may require a day trip (i.e. Stonehenge, Normandy, Versailles)? Anything that you would say wasn't worth the time/money? Any advice is helpful, as it will be my first time travelling to Europe.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't have anything to add other than to note that those trains in France leaving Paris in every direction (like spokes in a wheel) travel 300 kph. You'll be amazed how far you can go on a "day trip." You can get to the Riveria in 3 hours. Same with Amsterdam. Or you can go back to London in 1 1/2 hours. :eek:

juicystream likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My advice: Travel to Spain.

Didnt particularly like either London or Paris. Although, I hadnt traveled outside to the country side of either of them, which I mightve enjoyed a lot more. I did enjoy the Tower of London Castle Museum though. I would recommend a bus tour in Paris. Theres just way too many things to see as far as museums and churches. The tour just maximizes your time and minimizes the length of wandering in one set place.

You taking the chunnel?

juicystream likes this.
  4. juicystream

Crazy to think we are flying from Paris to Amsterdam when heading back to the US.

We'll go to Spain & Portugal on another trip. My FIL says we'll have to come back to Paris because 4 days just isn't enough, so I am concerned about it.

We are taking the Chunnel to Paris.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're that lucky...London and Paris are def the places you go first. You'll like the touristy Euro feel and brush off the trashy Euro feel among some of their nastier people. It's the weather?

Haven't been, but London is a city larger in breadth and depth than NYC, so I don't think you'll go wrong with any suggestions here. Paris is also epic. Louvre is a one day burn if you love art or history. I didn't have time to venture to Versailles, but the journey would also burn at least half a day. Eiffel kept up the hype for me, but Champs Elysse is just a big arch you might find elsewhere (walking through and living up the street is the attraction, not the olden arches) I do remember that Paris is a beautiful (though dirty) city to walk through and their night lights were designed much in the same spirit they dream up lingerie on women.

Seems like both places are great experiences to get lost.

Portugul and Spain is honeymoon/backpacking areas. People are lovely. Wine and Weather is great. Nightlife is excellent married or single. Like many nations in Europe, they're actually different countries within a country, so knowingly pick where you're going and read up on the region and ways well. It'll pay off going there and make you want more of the places you haven't been.

juicystream likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

7. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

I personally didn’t like Spain (I’m Spanish FYI). Only been to Madrid though. Been to Paris a few times. Didn’t think I would like it, but I loved it. We are actually going back for the 3rd time in a september to a similar trip as you London/Paris. If you have a day go to champagne region and tour at least Moët and chandon. Beautiful region. Paris offers so much to do and the food is amazing. Vercilles is something to see once, but worth seeing. When not touring grab a cup of coffee and a sweet bread and just sit and enjoy the city. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. My wife works for American Airlines so we travel a lot.

juicystream likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Stone Henge isn't that great IMO. I mean they have a little exhibit around it, but you can kind of just drive on the other side of the road and see it for free. The Tickets are like 30 bucks. You just kind of walk around there. If you have a chance drive down south from there and check out the Jurassic coast. Some real cool rock formation.

Paris is overrated in IMO. First time I ever had pizza with eggplant. That was pretty nasty.

juicystream likes this.
  9. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

First of all who orders a pizza with eggplant :p Paris is NYC with better food and better sights to see

juicystream likes this.
  10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Versailles is a place to visit if you are interested in European history and gardening. you would probably spend a whole day there already. I would recommend to visit one of those churches in Paris. I visited Montmatre Sacré-Cœur basilica in my previous visit and it was great. I heard that Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral is even better and I wished I could spend another half day there but my legs said no.

If one can only choose between Louvre and British museum, I would suggest Louvre. Get in there as soon as it is open to avoid the crowd. Do plan a bit beforehand so that you can check those must see items first before the crowds.

Try Greenwich and Cambridge if you have time in London. Borough Market is the place to go if you like fresh food. You have to try one of those Gordan Ramsay Restaurants but do reserve your table in advance.

juicystream likes this.
  11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

London - if you like arts, pick a show to see. London has high quality talent and hard to find a bad performance. Eat a meal at San Carlo Cicchetti, wonderful Italian restaurant in Covent Garden. You won’t regret it. Do the walk from Big Ben, Westminster abbey, through st James park, to buckingham palace. Touristy for sure, but classics London sights. If you need souvenir shopping for fam or secretary, go to Fortnum and Mason for their broad selection of teas, biscuits, etc. a touch pricey for that stuff, but everything in London is expensive, and their stuff comes in beautiful tins that people like. Hang out in Covent garden if you like street performers, shopping and random places to eat. Tower of London is a normal tourist stop and is interesting enough to warrant a visit. Lastly, doing a boat tour down the Thames river is fun. The guides are informative and you get to cross under various famous bridges.

Paris, the Lourve is a must. You can’t see it all, but it is impressive no matter much time you spend there. But my favorite is the Musee D’Orsay, Which can be seen in an hour or two. Wonderful impressionist artwork there. For sure go up the Eiffel Tower. Truly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Just walk it and soak it in. Notre Dame cathedral was ok, not bad but mot a must see in my opinion

#11 Rileydog, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    juicystream likes this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It’s much easier to get Hamilton tickets in London vs. stateside. Four days isn’t much; no real need to go outside the cities. Get tube passes in London......Paris...well, you can suffer through their public transportation. I ALWAYS recommend a good local guide for a day at larger new cities (towards the beginning of your stay) You can find names and numbers on travel forums.

juicystream likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It may sound macabre to some. If you go through the Montmartre area of Paris. There is very interesting and pretty graveyard to walk around in the Northwest area. There is another more popular one to go to in more central Paris where Jim Morrison is buried. I found it less interesting for sure.

I've been to a good majority of the cities in Europe. I don't think I have been to a cemetery in any of them besides Paris. (just throwing that out there haha) Here are a few random shots I googled for an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

juicystream likes this.
  14. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

Completely agree with this! Make sure you do your research of what you want to see at the louvre, it can be overwhelming. D'Orsay is easy to navigate and has some great collections from Van Gogh and other gems such as whistler's mother.

Super Tourist thing we did last visit was the Seine river cruise at night. I thought it was worth the money. Nice and relaxing at the end of a long day

Make sure to get some pictures from Trocadero of Eiffel Tower.
    Best shot of the tower IMO is from the top of the Arc de Triomphe

15. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

As the only French resident of the site (that I know of) and living in Paris for the last 10 years, I should be able to give you a few tips.

4 days in Paris is short but enough to do the essentials. August is the best time to come as the weather is usually great and all the stressed out parisians are on vacation.
    Louvre: you need 1 day per wing (depends on your interest in art), the Mona Lisa is a must do (though I always found it disappointing), it’s in the Denon wing
    Eiffel Tower: great view of the city on the last floor, very long queue so go early in the morning
    Montmartre area : great atmosphere and best place to get lost in the little streets to discover a hidden gem
    Sacré cœur Basilique and Notre-Dame : beautiful churches representative of the history of the city, again long queues to get in so i’d recommend to go early in the morning
    Jardin de Luxembourg: large parc in the center of Paris to just chill
    Concorde and Champs Elysées : one of the main squares of Paris to start your walk up the Champ Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe, avoid the Champs late night as it’s not it’s best time and watchout for pickpockets any time of the day
    Not far is the Grand Palais and Petit Palais which are worth a look

Versailles will take you the day as it’s just out of the city. The inside is nice and an important part of our history but on such an short time you can find closer places to visit in the ring.
    I’d recommend a tour on the bateaux mouches which will take you along the Seine from where you can see a few Monuments (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Grand Palais...).

Tell me if you need more advices.

16. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Also peleincubus was talking about the cemetery where Morrison is buried. It’s called Le Père Lachaise.
    And Morrison isn’t the only famous person buried there. There are visits of the site that can tell you more about the “occupants”.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I lived in London and Cambridge. Here's a list of what I send to my friends who are visiting. I'll follow up with another post on trips outside London.

Restaurants:

Dishoom (Covent Garden, King’s X, and Shoreditch) - #1 favorite handsdown. Kings X is the least busy and they do not take reservations for under 6 ppl so make reservations! It’s indian food in a 1940s-style Iranian cafe. I highly recommend everything but especially the black daal (slow cook lentils) and the mahi.

Yauatcha - (Soho and Bishop’s Gate near Liverpool Street) - Poshy Dim Sum with fancy cocktails. A bit pricey but so delicious! Yauatcha is expanding and in Houston now, so probably skip. Actually, Diego’s cousin’s husband is the head pastry chef at the one in Vegas

Burger & Lobster (near Liverpool Street and I think another near Covent Garden) - just what it sounds like but supposedly very tasty! Michael went here bc of a rec from one of my friends. He loved it but it’s a lot of food for £30!

Duck and Waffle - (Liverpool Street)- Beautiful views in a posh setting. Open 24 hours a day in a 40-story building. Make reservations, always full. https://duckandwaffle.com/

Sticks and Sushi (Covent Garden and Canary Wharf) - Delicious sushi. Loved the tuna tartare. Not sure if you’ll need a reservation in CG but might do it to be safe.

Bo Drake (Soho) - Korean/Mexican fusion super up my alley. Get the fried chicken. I wanted to order 2 but Michael stopped me. Not too pricey

Baltic (Southwark) - South of the river eastern European fare. Moderately priced and beautiful inside. Nice infused vodkas too.

Barrafina – Barcelona-style tapas. Highly rated

Bao – Bao buns in Soho. Amazing. Great for lunch

Chick ‘n’ Sours – Korean style fried chicken

Ember Yard – tapas. Soho

Golden Union – fish and chips

Random pub

Pubs/bars:

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet St) - Went here after Tate Modern our very first trip to London. Bar built in the 1600s and survived the fire. Literary greats like Mark Twain have been here. Be sure to explore the entire bar. Our other visitors said this was their favorite.

Nightjar (go at opening or make a reservation in Shoreditch)- Poshy cocktail bar that is awesome. Near Dishoom. Make a reservation. https://barnightjar.com/

The Mayflower (Rotherhithe on South Bank) - off the beaten path but this is where the pilgrims set sail for South Hampton before they left for America! They even had a little area where you can see the water. We had our leaving drinks here before we left for America!

Experimental Cocktail Club (Soho/China Town) - secret speakeasy hidden in China Town. Really neat! Google it and look for the red door.

Attractions:

Dos:

Tower of London - Tube stop: Tower Hill

Tate Modern - Tube stop: Blackfriars

Spitalfields Market - Tube stop: Liverpool Street, great restaurants and a little market! Good shopping around the mkt as well. Also near Columbia flower market which is nice to walk through

Portobello Market - Tube stop: Ladbroke Grove, outdoor market with antiques, quirky shops and knick nacks

British Museum - Tube stop: Holb

Natural History Museum - Tube stop: South Kensington/Gloucester Road

Borough Market - Tube stop: Borough, food stalls

St Pauls Cathedral - Tube stop: st. Pauls

Harrods - Tube stop: Knightsbridge

Fortnum and Mason - Tube stop: Piccadilly, fancy food store - nice place to have tea, make reservations

Selfridges - Tube stop: Bond Street, dept store like Harrods with nice food hall

Go to a play

St. Katherine’s Dock - Tube stop: Tower Hill, One of my favorite spots! Little bars, coffee shops and restaurants surrounding the water. Food market on Fridays at lunch - get the Ethiopian and a chocolate chip cookie! Cool boat of the Queen docked here.

Donts:

tour inside Tower Bridge

FranchiseBlade and juicystream like this.
  18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

As for excursions:
    UK -
    -Cambridge. 50 min train ride from King's Cross or Liverpool. If you decide you want to go there, let me know and I'll give you a few things to do/see (check out punting https://www.scudamores.com/misc/image/951/710/340 and/or King's College for starters). I may be biased, but it's a must. Town is beautiful. Oxford is not as charming (it's a much larger city than Cambridge and loses that vibe).
    -Stonehenge is ok, but it's very crowded. If you want to go, I'd suggest reading into it as you can join groups in the morning or evening that can actually get close to the stones, everyone else is kept in the distance.
    -Went on some good hikes in Wales at Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia.
    -Cotswolds
    -Dover

Paris
    -Versailles
    -Train to Brussels

The greatest thing I liked about living in the UK was the CHEAP plane tickets. Sure, it's Ryanair and EasyJet, but it's hard to best. I once got a round trip ticket to Dublin for <$20.
    My favorite place to visit was Spain. Pass on Madrid, it's just a big city. Barcelona is cool, but touristy. My favorites were San Sebastian and Sevilla/Granada. You can also go to Malaga and take a ferry to Tangier. Marrakech is also pretty cool.
    After Spain, Italy and Germany are my next two favorites. I think going to Rome/Florence/Venice is almost a right of passage, but they're so touristy and crowded IDK if I'll ever go back. The Almafi Coast, Tuscany, and other small towns are the way to go. In Germany, Berlin is a lot of fun.

Cheers

juicystream likes this.
  19. juicystream

Thank You!!!!! I was so disappointed missing out on Hamilton coming to Atlanta. While there wasn't much selection to be had (only a couple of seats, but that is more than here), I managed to score tickets. I had been looking at HP and the Cursed Child, but those tickets were way more expensive and 2 parts (would have been 400 pounds vs. 115 for Hamilton).

#19 juicystream, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Everybody is giving good advice, so I won't add too much.

In London, get a zone 1 and 2 pass for the Underground and you'll have easy access to everything you want to see. We bought Metro passes for Paris, but ended up walking everywhere, it's just so beautiful. (We were also staying in the 1st so we were already close to everything).

In London: Go to the top of St Paul's cathedral as well as the other stuff suggested in the thread. 1 day of the hop on hop off big red bus tours in London is worth it too.

In Paris: The Louvre is a must see. We actually went in the late afternoon and didn't have to fight crowds. We didn't see the whole museum (almost impossible in 3-4 hours), but we saw the stuff we wanted to see.

I actually enjoyed the Musee D'Orsay more than the Louvre. All the fines Impressionist art and its a more relaxed environment. You can also see the whole thing in a couple of hours.

Also, have high tea in the Winter Garden at Hotel de Crillon...probably need a reservation. Get the Marie Antoinette brew.

juicystream likes this.