1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOL! COWBOYS WIN! TEXANS LOSE!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Monkey7392, Sep 15, 2002.

1. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

My mistake. So the city of Dallas has 6 Pro Football Titles instead of 5. Thanks for pointing that out to everyone.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

But in basketball its okay to keep on bringing up the Spers past asterick accomplishments and compare them to the Lakers? Its okay to constantly whine about the Lakers months after they've won the title?

:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt you Texans fans will be happy beating the Cowboys once every four years while accomplishing nothing else.

:rolleyes:

I still dont understand why Texans fans hate Cowboys soooooo much? We never did anything to the Texans or even Oilers as far back as I can remember.

Spead the jealously and envy baby. There is plenty here to go around.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When have I started those threads? When I talk about either of those topics, it's because someone else started a thread praising the Lakers or referring to their play last season. I don't want to talk about it... I like looking at the season ahead. However, if something the opposite of my belief is stated, I'm not just going to ignore it...

Also, unless you have documented proof that you called the Spurs season "asterisked" before it began (when we got Scottie Pippen), please stop it. It just makes you look like a sore loser. It was either asterisked from the start, or it wasn't. You can't just call it asterisked when a team you didn't like won.

4. R0ckets03

Why the hell am I a sore loser? I hate the Spurs and Lakers equally, but the Spurs are an asterick champion in my book.

5. The Cat

Because your book changed after the season. I didn't see one Rocket fan, either at the games, in the city, or on online message boards, that even mentioned that the championship that year would mean less. When we got Pippen, this city had NBA fever... everyone was thinking championship. If a 50 game regular season makes it an asterisk, you should've spoken up before the season, when everyone was talking about the Rockets winning a championship, and said the championship would have less meaning.

I saw no one do this for any team. Stadiums were sold out, the league was popular, merchandise was high... fans wouldn't be that involved if they didn't think the season was legit.

Anyway, to the original point... either it's an asterisk, or it's not. It's not a real season when the Rockets are contending for the title, and a fake season when the Spurs are contending for the title. Unless you have evidence to show that you were the exception to the thousands of Rockets fans who had championship fever in January '99, it looks like you changed your perspective on the value of the season after a team you didn't like won.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Also your mistake...under your logic:
    1) Houston has had 2 pro football titles instead of the zero you claim.
    2) Dallas has lost twice as many teams as Houston.

Nice try...feel free to try again.

7. R0ckets03

It is.

8. The Cat

And if it is, you should've said so before the season started. Changing your opinion on the validity of the season after it occurs is just a cheap way of diminishing the championship because a team you didn't like won.

9. asw

asw Member

Sorry, that wasn't completely what I meant. I was referring to the type of position he supposedly was in. I am assuming you are not trying to correlate playing college football with having any kind of credentials to run an NFL team. Hello! Were you in a hole during this period of time? :confused: Everybody was talking about it in the national media. He had no experience of any kind with football "management". I guess I shouldn't have left that word out... geez... my mistake.

You want to LOL about the scenerio about Steve? That is interesting. What was the end result of them drafting Steve? Did they not showcase Steve for a breif period? Did they not make him look good? Did they not get a ridiculous offer of picks from a team desperate for a quarterback? Did he not suck for that team, hence showing Jimmy did a very good job of making him "look" NFL ready? Didn't ESPN commentators wonder what they heck Jimmy was doing when he took Steve, when he already had Troy? Didn't they take Troy #1? Didn't Jimmy state then that he had tried really hard to recruit Troy to be his quarterback in college? Didn't he make jokes about finally getting his man. If you are willing to credit Jimmy for being brilliant with the Herschel Walker trade... then why is it such a stretch for you to recognize Jimmy manipulated the Steve Walsh situation? I did not see you credit Jerry for the Herschel deal. Didn't the media start calling him Trader Jimmy? I don't recall them using the nickname Trader Jerry! Where were you?:confused: Didn't you witness this stuff too? And you say "an excuse"... An excuse for what? Dude, it really isn't my problem.... it is yours... you are the blindly loyal Jerry fan... not me. I will not be emotionally tortured by his teams as you will. ;)

You keep talking about this research stuff... I was experiencing it all as it happened. I watched every draft.... I read most of the major publications about football... I watched most of the tv shows about football. I experienced the time. If you are doing so much "research"... where did you get your "fact" about Jimmy wanting a stud DT instead of Emmit, from? Do some research and show me the facts.

#149 asw, Sep 21, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2002
  10. R0ckets03

Thats nice. It's still an ASTERICK CHAMPIONSHIP though.

11. The Cat

Nope. Either it's an asterisk championship for everyone, or no one. Since it wasn't for the Rockets, it's not for the Spurs.

12. R0ckets03

Thank you my master for thinking on my behalf. :rolleyes:

For me and a lot of of other people it will always be an asterick championship.

13. The Cat

Well, considering I didn't see one Rockets fan call it an asterisk championship before the season, forgive me for not thinking you were the exception among thousands. For you and a lot of people, it will just be a ridiculous excuse since a team you hated won. Waaah waaah waaah.... :rolleyes:

14. R0ckets03

Originally posted by The Cat
    forgive me for not thinking you were the exception among thousands.

I wasn't. Still an asterick championship though.

For you and a lot of people, it will just be a ridiculous excuse since a team you hated won. Waaah waaah waaah.... :rolleyes:

They won God knows how long ago. The Lakers are the three time defending champions. The LAKERS.

15. The Cat

Nope... if it's not an asterisk championship for the Rockets, it's not for the Spurs. End of discussion.

16. R0ckets03

Dude what are you talking about, if its not an asterisk championship for the Rockets? The Rockets did not win that year. The lucky ass Spers did. Fifty game season means asterisk champions. End of discussion.

17. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Talk about a thread going off topic.

I've ignored this thread, but I feel compelled to chime in on the asterick debate. The asterick only applies to the length of the regular season. It has nothing to do with whether or not a team earned the Championship. Let's ask ourselves some questions.

1) Did the Spurs have an unfair advantage over the other NBA teams that season? Answer: No!

2) Did every team play the same number of regular season games? Answer: Yes!

3) Would the Spurs have made the playoffs if it had been a full 82 game season? Answer: Based on their core talent & subsequent trips to the playoffs, Yes!

4) Did the playoff format change? Answer: NO!

5) Would another team or two have slipped into the playoffs, if the full 82 game season had been played? Answer: It's possible.

6) Would one of those teams have won the Championship? Answer: It's possible, but not likely.

7) Did the Spurs beat the Lakers (Shaq, Kobe, Rodman, & Rice) in the Conference semifinals? Answer: Yes!

8) Did the Spurs win the Championship?

Answer: A resounding YES!!!

The only thing the asterick stands for, is the length of the regular season. It takes nothing away from the fact that the Spurs earned the Championship! To even suggest that the title was tainted is ridiculous. End of discussion!!!

18. The Cat

You just said that before the season started and Rockets fans were thinking championship (with the word asterisk never mentioned), you "weren't the exception". If it's such an obvious asterisk, you should've known the moment the NBA announced that it would be a 50 game schedule that the title had less merit. You obviously didn't, and to change your opinion after the season has been played is just a cheap way of not giving the Spurs credit.

19. R0ckets03

Might be a cheap way, but the Spurs will never get any credit from me. An asterisk championship it was, it is and it always will be.

GO LAKERS!

20. Truth

Truth Member

I wish this thread would sink all the way down to last year.