1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Limiting voting hours in Florida is backfiring on Republicans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 5, 2012.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I saw those long long lines in Florida trying to prevent folks from voting. Disgusting unless you are a Republican I guess. Folks are standing up to this so so public manipulation. Not cool to be so obvious.
    All that early voting in 2008. All those Democrats going to the polls. Black people voting after church on Sundays in early voting. Record African American turnout. Record numbers of Democrats registered. Record numbers of Democrats voting.

So it only makes sense that the new brand GOP "answer" is to limit voting by reversing the trend of increasing voting hours and making it easier for people to vote. Keep the polls closed more, and keep them open less.

... Who the hell will wait 4 hours in line? Surely only the die hard voters, and they're mostly Republican voters. Soft voters will stay away. Democrats will stay away.

But guess what? That "strategy" is back firing big time. There ARE long lines in Florida (and what an awful reflection of our Democracy). The people are not backing down. They are standing up. They are responding with their votes, come hell or high water.

And the polls in Florida reflect this. Obama is ahead 49-47 in the latest "unskewed" polling in Florida. And the flip is mainly due to the large number of banked votes that the Democrats and OFA have been able to amass, despite the long lines. Obama leads by 2.5 % in early voting.

The footage on the TV's and the intertubes is amazing. Long lines trailing around city block after city block. Lines trailing through park walkways, bending through the curves and trailing as far as the camera lens can pan. Its both inspiring, and sad. Inspiring because get what, we WILL stand in lines, and our voices WILL be heard. Voter suppression will NOT be tolerated. We WILL fight back. We WILL vote.

Sad, because it doesn't have to be that way. Voting is a right, and it should be made easy, not difficult. It is the most fundamental right of Democracy. But here we are, in 2012, and the right to vote is being challenged in multiple states, all via a vote limiting GOP machine.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...ours-in-Florida-is-back-firing-on-Republicans

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i just dont understand you would make it harder to vote.

i have seen several friends say they tried to vote and just gave up because the line wasnt moving or was just too long to begin with.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Republicans smile every time that happens.

4. Anticope

Anticope Member

Are they trying to do this in Texas at all? Trying to vote early anywhere in Austin was a nightmare as there were huge lines everywhere I went.

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Are you saying only that Democrats are having to wait in long lines? :confused:

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

They don't have to do it in Texas, this state is a safe Republican state, they only have to obstruct Democrat voters in battleground states, as they tried to do in PA and OH and as they successfully did in FL.

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

I figured they might do something like it in Austin since it's a very liberal area and could have an effect on local races, not so much the presidential election.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Harris, Travis, Dallas, and Bexar county all went to Obama. Of course everything else went to McCain.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

every election Dem precincts want to stay open longer than everyone else, and cry voter suppression when they are expected to follow the same rules as the rest of us

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had no wait at all in Round Rock...but it is Williamson County which is typically as red as red gets.

11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/florida-early-voting_n_2073119.html

Miami-Dade attempted to deal with the problem on Sunday by allowing voters to cast absentee ballots in person between 1:00 and 5:00 p.m. However, after just two hours, the Miami-Dade elections department shut down the location after too many people showed up. People outside the locked doors were reportedly screaming, "We want to vote!"

A major reason there are so many problems at the polls is that last year, Florida's GOP-controlled legislature shortened the number of early voting days from 14 to eight, meaning all early voters are trying to cast their ballots in a shorter window. Previously, Floridians were allowed to vote on the Sunday before Election Day -- a day that typically had high traffic.

And probably the best quote about how messed up Florida is:
    Even though Ohio is giving it a run for its money, Florida is doing whatever it can to be the next Florida.
    My prediction is that FL beats OH in the Election Incompetency Bowl, broadcast live tomorrow (all stations).
    A national embarassment.
    http://electionlawblog.org/?p=43409

Why do repuglicans want to limit our freedoms?

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Voting is a joke. People are duped into thinking they're participating in democracy, when in actuality, they're perpetuating an aristocracy of those vetted by the Republicans and Democrats.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Plenty of states (my state of MO for one) don't have early in-person voting. If you can't make it on election day, you mail an absentee ballot and give a valid reason for doing so. Not that complicated.

What's the threshold for voter suppression vs. too early? Two weeks of early voting? A month? Two months?

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

If you're so on top of the scam, you -could- vote for another party/candidate and show your displeasure with the two party entrenchment. Perhaps momentum would build if those that are too smart to be duped would, you know, make an effort, rather than excuses not to participate.

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Participation is an implicit approval of the situation. Therefore, I don't participate. I do campaign however. If you're interested in joining my "Stay At Home on Election Day" campaign, feel free to PM me.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I voted early in Austin (last Monday) and only waited in line for about 20 mins.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Lol, you are so ridiculous! All of you are, anyone who truly believes that Republicans are trying to stop people from voting. You don't work in politics, you are just extremely cynical about the other side. You're wrong, you'll never believe me, but you're wrong.

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Hmmm...what about the NAACP at Acres Home here in Houston?? Hypocrites....

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

apples to oranges

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

proof?