1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Light Rail update...sorta

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by krosfyah, Jun 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The word "bias" suggests irrational reasons why people prefer trains over buses. I'd argue there are very rational reasons:

1. Comfort: Light-rail, you can sit with your legs crossed...very roomy. Buses are more cramped.

2. Predictable: Generally, rail is more predictable than buses because you can easily visualize the route. Buses often have multiple routes at the same bus stop. If you get on the wrong bus, it might turn abruptly and take you the wrong way. To exacerbate that, bus routes and numbers tend to change somewhat frequently.

3. Peaceful: Buses are loud. They aren't too peaceful. Trains generally run smoother and quiter making for a much nicer ride.

But also, there is definatly a status associated with trains over buses. Even kids love to ride trains so the bias starts early. There is definately a bias.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

we'll see....

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i knew you were gonna say that!! :D

4. MadMax

yeah..i understand the benefits. rail bias is just the term i've heard over and over again to describe the proclivity of people to leave their cars for trains, but not for buses.

5. krosfyah

Your Welcome in advance.

The difficult part about your question is that there is no one-stop source to go get all this info. I'll have to do it from memory. So pardon me if my details aren't perfect. So here is an imperfect list of stuff immediately happening around the stations. There are countless more examples of things being planned within the vicinity that I won't bother with.

UH Downtown
    UH has built several new buildings. Besides that, the geography of this stop kinda commits it to only servering UH.

Presten Station:
    Several bars/restaurents have opened in just the last year. On/near the corner of Prairie, there are two or three new ones. Hotel Icon is relatively new as well. This spot is quickly becoming the epi-center of night-life in Houston.

Between Presten and Main St. Square stations, near the revitilize Rice Lofts, a new apartment building mock-up is posted, I think called the Shamrock, to be built where there is now a parking lot.

Main St. Square:
    A new apartment building being renovated from previous office spaces. Below this building is a brand new CVS completed a few months ago.

Bell:
    Besides the Toyota Center (that explicitely wanted to move downtown because it is downtown), there are several restaurents between Bell and Toyota Center that have opened in the last year or two.

Downtown Transit Center:
    The Arch Diocese of Galveston just started construction from a previous parking lot of a new grand church that will be oriented towards Main St.

Well, kinda cheap example but they are just finishing the Metro headquarters here. But definately woudn't have been built here w/out LTR.

McGowen:
    One block south on Main I saw a sign posted about what appears to be a huge residential complex that will have commercial space available on the street. It appears it has 300+ residential units.

Right on the corner of McGowen, is another empty lot with a sign that they are building a new mueseum...I think fire mueseum.

Ensemble/HCC:
    St. Luke Episcopal Health rented space at 3100 Main in mid-town. Despite being a mile or two away, LTR makes it easy to move between these offices and the Med-Cntr.

Julia's Bistro, Tafia and Breakfast Klub have joined the Continental Club on Main St. making this a streghtening pocket of night-life and dining options.

Somewhere between this station and Wheeler, plans for a new medical professional building built from the ground up have been posted. It appears to be at least a 10 story building. I also heard another medical building is going up on nearby Fannin.

Wheeler
    Not much new here. The existing Sears, Fiesta, McDonalds, Shipleys, Jack-the-Box, however don't appear ready to shut down. Nearby retail is fore lease. If the new Metro plans hold true, this will be the transfer station and this will be the busiest station...so I imagine things will pick up here.

That being said, two blocks away on Fannin is a brand new apartment complex that houses probably 200+ unit.

Mueseum District
    Besides the recent purchase of Hotel Warwick which will be completely updated and renovated as trendy Hotel ZaZa, this is a pretty established spot with all the Mueseum's and Park Plaza hospital. Not too much room for growth here.

Rice/Hermann
    Again, no room for new development here. This stop serves the existing park (which has just completed some major renovations), university and surrounding neighborhoods.

Memorial Herman/Zoo
    New high-rise buildings going in the SW and SE corners of Fannin immediately adjacent to that station. Other building expansions occuring 1-2 blocks south of here too.

Dryden/TMC
    There is another building going two or three blocks away on Main. Several street level places have opened like Chipotle and Starbucks making this perhaps the most vibrant stop on the line with the amount of foot traffic...at least during the day.

Regarding the remaining stations south of here, I don't normally travel this far so I can't offer many specifics. I think there have been a couple new apartment complexes and I thought I saw a sign for a new one. But admittedly, not much new development on the south end as it is mostly utilitarian Med-Cntr stuff like parking...besides Reliant/Astroworld/Waterworld/Rodeo/Convention Center, of course.

So BigTexxx, is that sufficient enough for you?

6. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I heard about a system they were doing in California (I think it was LA) in which they installed sensors at intersections so that the light would change to green when an Express Bus approached. It seemed to be working fairly well, moving the traffic along and making buses faster rided than cars.
    My big complaint about taking a bus is that it stops too often and takes too long. I was often late for work when I had to take the bus in Chicago. Yet if it doesn't stop often it is inconvenient to use.

7. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Krosfyah has answered about Houston but I will add that if you look at several of the recent LRT lines in the past 15 years and there has been significant development along them. Within the 1/2 mile long corridor on either side of LRT lines property values usually rise. I can attest to that personally since I live within a 1/2 mile of the line in Minneapolis and my property values have gone up. If LRT provided little benefit, or was harmful as some claim, then its unlikely that property values would rise.

8. krosfyah

Cmon man. You asked...so I spent a lot of time typing up a response to your nearly impossible request (impossible because anything short of a comprehensive list would have resulted in a predictable response of "that's it?") So for all my hard work, you're not even gonna respond?

9. bigtexxx

Kros the problem with your list is that none of those developments you listed can be solely attributed to rail, and to be honest, aside from MAYBE the McGowen housing development, all of those had nothing to do with rail. Saying that the Toyota Center, the new cathedral, etc had anything to do with rail is a stretch. The development in the med center has been there for many years. The bars at Preston were adversely impacted from the rail as many of them closed. The Shamrock tower at that same intersection has been canceled and will not be built.

Bottom line is that there has not been even close to the fantasy-land "urban growth scenario" that the proponents of rail suggested before the election.

10. bigtexxx

The hybrid rail system being proposed is something visionary. It's not the same "me too strategy" as trying to build rail lines just to say that H-town has rail service so we can keep up with the other 20+ cities around the US that have it. The hybrid system could allow for several times as much city coverage with identical levels of service quality at much cheaper prices. Dedicated lanes to avoid mixing with auto traffic, boarding platforms with ticket vending machines to avoid lines at the front of the bus, automated screens to tell you when the next bus will arrive, hidden tires - it's all the amenities of rail except for one - the high cost. I'm all for this plan.

The front page of the Chronicle this morning talks about Las Vegas' hybrid rail system and compares it to what Houston will have.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/3231107

'Rubber tire rail service' a hit in Vegas
    City's sleek hybrid system is quick, quiet and efficient — just don't call it a bus
    By KIM COBB
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Eric Jamison / For the Chronicle
    Las Vegas' Metropolitan Area Express (MAX) looks like a train but runs on rubber tires.

LAS VEGAS - When "MAX" pulls into one of its curbside stations, its wheels are practically invisible.

It's sleek, relatively quiet, and is propelled by a diesel-electric hybrid motor that doesn't belch black smoke. Passengers buy tickets from a vending machine and get on and off through four wide doors quickly without having to step up.

MAX looks like a train, and that's no accident.

Las Vegas is one of a growing number of American communities embracing what transportation wonks call "bus rapid transit." It's a hybrid system that combines the flexibility and lower cost of bus travel with speed similar to train service. Another appealing aspect: The Federal Transportation Administration will provide start-up funds for bus rapid transit in an era when it questions the high cost of building rail.

Houston's Metropolitan Transit Authority announced last week that it plans to run BRT on four routes voters approved for light rail in a November 2003 referendum. Metro plans to lay rails on dedicated rights of way on the North, Southeast, Harrisburg and Uptown routes. But the agency will pave the rails over and run something like Las Vegas' MAX vehicles in those corridors until the ridership is high enough to justify converting to light rail like the line that runs on Main Street.

In announcing the plan last week, Metro officials indicated that it was part of a deal with House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, and others to unlock federal transit funding that has been unavailable to Houston.

The plan to substitute buses — however high-tech and sleek — for rail has not set well with some black and Hispanic communities that were scheduled for rail lines. Leaders in those communities argue that they helped pass the 2003 referendum, voting for the plan in far greater proportions than whites, because they expected rail lines.

Political headaches
    This sentiment could cause political headaches for Metro and Mayor Bill White, a major cheerleader for the new plan.

Part of his and Metro's argument is that the technology in a BRT vehicle is different than with a traditional bus, frequently using a hybrid power source. Metro hasn't settled on a vehicle for its proposed system, but officials have indicated a preference for a hybrid diesel-electric engine to cut down on noise and emissions; automatic guidance systems; and synchronization with traffic signals to cut down on delays at red lights.

Some systems use real-time tracking technology to keep the vehicles on schedule, and message signs at stations to inform riders when the next bus will arrive.

They frequently run on their own rights of way so they aren't slowed by vehicle traffic, and have rail-like stations instead of bus stops.

But transit officials say image, not technology, is what sells BRT. Las Vegas transit officials repeat the industry mantra that people view buses as a second-class alternative, but find rail glamorous.

"We refer to it as rubber tire rail service," said June DeVoll, transit operations administrator for the Regional Transit Commission of Southern Nevada.

"The B-word (bus) should not be in here anywhere," she said, flipping through a stack of marketing material for MAX — which stands for Metropolitan Area Express.

"If it looks like a rail, and acts like a rail, what difference does it make if it has rubber tires?' DeVoll asked.

System differences
    Metro officials in Houston have said almost the same thing, though they are quick to contrast the Houston plan with the one in Las Vegas, which runs in special traffic lanes shared with cars. Metro's BRT would run in separate guideways that officials say would be identical to the one used by the Main Street light rail. Despite much-publicized crashes with cars attempting to cross tracks illegally, MetroRail generally does not share lanes with vehicles.

"That's a huge difference," said Metro president and CEO Frank Wilson.

The separate corridors may be key to Metro closing the deal, said Cliff Henke, senior director at Weststart-Calstart, a nonprofit organization that promotes advanced transportation technology.

A more stylized vehicle is important to reinforce that BRT is different, he said.

"But what really changes is frequency, reliability and speed of travel," Henke said. "That's really, no pun intended, where the rubber meets the road.

"If you're on a sexy bus and it's still slow and unreliable, that's not very helpful," Henke said.

Much better service
    On a recent weekday afternoon, MAX rider Mike Tamblyn, 38, was headed to work. He used to ride the old local bus along the same route to the downtown transit center, but says the service on MAX is much better.

"It's real quick. I can be home from work within an hour," Tamblyn said, adding that's half the time it took him on a traditional bus.

"Watch how quick this stop is," Tamblyn said as the MAX bus eased into the station. "There could be 15 people on the platform and they'd be on in no time."

A woman in a motorized cart was waiting at the station. The handicap ramp lowered in about 10 seconds, she rolled aboard, the driver helped her buckle in and the bus cleared the station in about a minute.

Bus driver Sigifredo Villa said he usually stops for about 30 seconds at each station. Because people buy their tickets from a vending machine, and are not required to show them when they board, they don't have to queue up at a fare box.

"We don't have to wait for people to dig for change," Villa said.

MAX is powered by a hybrid engine that automatically switches between electric and diesel. The buses include an automatic system that reads lines painted on the roadway to guide the vehicles as close as possible to the curb at stations built almost a foot off the ground. This allows passengers to enter the bus at the platform level, without stepping up.

The first MAX line, running 7.8 miles along a commercial/residential section of Las Vegas Boulevard, is popular with riders. MAX runs in its own dedicated lane for 5.5 miles, and in mixed traffic for 2.3 miles.

Surveys show travel time has been reduced by over 40 percent for passengers, and ridership is up 30 percent in the corridor, which also is served by traditional local bus service. The transit agency's surveys show that 10 percent of current MAX riders were driving their cars before MAX service began.

"We've proved we could do what we said we could do," DeVoll said. The Federal Transit Administration has included the Las Vegas line on its list of BRT demonstration projects, aimed at providing a baseline for study by transit agencies.

Congested highways
    The southern Nevada agency is making plans to build another MAX line in the southwest section of town, hoping to lure people out of their cars and onto MAX, thereby cutting down on traffic congestion.

As in Houston, the transit agency is struggling to draw people out of their cars, off congested highways and onto mass transit.

Sandy Smith, 60, is the kind of Las Vegas resident local transit officials are trying to attract. A state employee, he had been driving his minivan to work downtown until the transmission went out.

He used to ride the old local bus on the same route, so he noticed immediately that riding MAX took half the time of a traditional bus. He's convinced that the long stretch of dedicated lane is what makes the difference.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Roll on noble train

I think I can - I think I can - CHOOGA CHOOGA - I think I can - I think I can...

[​IMG]

WOOOOOO WOOOOOOO

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think the compromise the city leaders have reached is a stunning example of good government. You may remember I have been anti-train all along because a they are so expensive for the limited service they provide. Since the people of Houston can not and will not walk for any distance due to rain, heat and being the fattest city in America, rail's area of influence reaches only a couple of block each way from the fixed track. I arugued that a good bus system made much more sense because it is cheaper and more flexible; able to adapt to the changing behavior of people rather than dictacting the behavior of people.

I will not argue against a bus bias however. I think it is a pretty observable phenomenon. This new hybrid system seems to be a viable compromise.
    Cool transportation than is affordable and somewhat flexible. Bill White may be the most effective Democrat in the US.

13. krosfyah

You asked about the development and I delivered examples. Now you want to nitpik each example. Ok.

Bigtexxx, rarely in life can only one thing be the 100% reason of any other thing...esp in politics and city development. Surely you can concede that. Rail is only part of a bigger picture. It isn't the panacea. Once an area starts to build momentum, it continues to feed on itself and the growth increases. So I'll agree, rail isn't SOLELY the reason...but it IS a contributing factor.

Nothing? Please notice the opinion you are expressing when you say "had nothing to do with rail." A sour grapes opinion at that. You implied NO development is occurring and I clearly proved you wrong. You asked for "concrete" support of development and I delivered. Now why don't you provide us some "concrete" evidence that this development has "nothing to do with rail."

Look, the Main St. Coalition was formed as rail being the foundation for their plan. That coalition was specifically formed to make Main St. a world class avenue. All development in the area was encouraged by the coalition.

I didn't say Toyota Center had anything to do with rail. Toyota Center wanted to go downtown (because they knew there was a strong movement to revitalize downtown). But several restaurants have opened between the Polk station and Toyota Center. They could have opened anywhere N, E, W, or S but they oriented themselves right between the Polk station. Coincidence you say?

The Cathedral was specifically oriented to face Main St. due to the Main St. Coalition. I don't know if they were going to build or not but once they knew about LTR, their design ABSOLUTELY had everything to do w/ LTR.

Like the Cathedral, they clearly oriented their new business to correspond w/ LTR.

I can only think of two vacancies in the immediate area. So much for the "adversely impacted" argument.

Besides, EVERY STREET DOWNTOWN has be rebuilt...not just Main St. The larger road construction project was the major problem...not LTR.

Last I checked, the sign was still out there.

Development doesn't happen in two years. Are you claiming all our work is done in Iraq? No. These things take time. Lets check back on Iraq in 10-15 years to see how that really went...same goes for Main St.

14. krosfyah

I agree it seems like a nice compromise. If people use it, then it is good. If Houstonians still "feel" like they are riding buses, this system won't cut it. It'll be an interesting experiement.

But I'm not convinced how much money it really saves. They are spending all the same money except installing the electrical. I'm guessing, a 20% savings? The buses are cheaper...but if they ultimately dump the buses for trains, the total cost is now greater...not less?

We'll see. I'm just happy something positive is happening...finally.

#34 krosfyah, Jun 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  15. MadMax

amen!!!

16. krosfyah

So BigTexxx, you just not going to respond? Nice.

17. bigtexxx

Ok this is the second time you've posted a reply to this effect.

Must I remind you that I am a very busy man? I have a job, and my job can be demanding at times. I can't always piddle around on the internet for hours SamFisher-style. I'm currently involved with a very high profile company offering them strategic advice to keep them in business. I don't have time to go back and forth with you for hours.

I will ask you to go back and read the article in the chronicle which states the cost figures that you took willy-nilly guesses at. Of course your guesses were wrong.

18. krosfyah

If you don't have time to debate the topic, then perhaps you shouldn't casually launch extremely difficult-to-answer-questions capped off with a richeous and condescending "Thanks in Advance"... only to go AWOL. That was crappy on your behalf.

I spent my busy day providing you the concrete examples you asked for of LTR development. So you ask others to waste their time on your responses but you aren't willing/able to respond? Next time you launch one of those questions, I'll know to just ignore you. You are too busy to read the responses, apparently.

I'm not asking for a response on the cost part. You and I are in close agreement with that. We both like the new plan. The question you asked, which I responded to, was about new development that has occured around LTR.

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

A little usefull info regarding the development Main Street Rail has spurred...

1....This is Shamerock Tower, a 32-story condo. It will be built at the corner of Texas and Main, where the old McDonalds is. McDonald new 2 story restuarant will be incorporated inot the lobby.

[​IMG]

2.....regarding Bell St/Toyota Center....Rockets fans meet your new pregame hangout area.

By 2007, Houston Pavillions should be fully up and running. Its a mixed use developement featuring retail, bars and resturants and clubs all in complex that will span the blocks between Main and Toyota Center, essentially connecting light rail to the arena and more importantly, to the convention center and hotel. Look for a Virgin Megastore, and a movie theater to be some of the headlining attractions. This project should break ground by the fall.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rail is clearly spurring development......

20. bigtexxx

Tigerye, I'm calling you out here. I know that you post on HoustonArchitecture dot info, and you know that the Shamrock most likely is not getting built. They call it "The Sham" over there and openly joke about it and how it's not happening. You shouldn't pass it off here as something that is likely to happen.

Also, you know darn well that the speculation about the Virgin Megastore is just that - speculation. There's no supporting evidence behind that, just a bunch of ra-ra cheerleaders who want to see one on those message boards.

To say that rail was the reason for the pavilion developments is again, a stretch. The revitalization of downtown was happening before rail was decided upon and was greatly helped by the stadia down there. Cloudy evidence at best.