1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lietuvos Rytas] Valanciunas, Newley, and Strawberry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Mar 3, 2011.

1. worzel gummidge

Lietuvos Rytas play Caja Laboral formerly known as Tau Ceramica (Luis Scola's old team)

Game is on Thursday, March 3, 20:45 Central European Time. EL streams are easy to find online.

This game has the right setting, ie big time pressure game, for checking out the mettle of prospective Rockets.

L. Rytas are a team composed of unheralded players, ie no superstars. Their season have mirrored the Rockets. Early on, they did not look like they could compete in the Euroleague at all. Now they find themselves in a position to grab a quarter finals berth for the first time in their club's history. Simply win this game against Caja Laboral, and they're in. Lose, their EL season ends.

Llull and Eliyahu also have games but their teams are already qualified for the quarters. I'd guess both won't get much burn or will sit out.

Players of interest
    L. Rytas:
    Jonas Valanciunas (17), 18yo 6-11 center, potential 2011 lottery pick
    Brad Newley (20), draft rights held by the Rockets
    DJ Strawberry (8), former Rocket
    Caja Laboral:
    Marcelinho Huertas (9), Brazilian PG who impressed some posters on CF at last year's FIBA Worlds
    Stanko Barac (42), 7-1 center, draft rights held by the Heat

I missed last week's big upset win L. Rytas had over Panathinaikos but Newley top scored for his team and there's a nice write up here:

http://www.ballineurope.com/europea...eats-panathinaikos-khalid-el-amin-rules-6867/

Highlights from the win over Panathinaikos. Newley has a nice jam at the very end of this clip:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MLpeZEUaH0Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A pre-game blog by Newley:
    http://www.euroleague.net/features/blog/2010-2011/brad-newley/i/83030/5273/don-t-stop-believing
    Newley block from earlier in the season:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8-6jDZCH3OY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Thanks. I was looking for some streams or past footage of Jonas Valanciunas playing this year. It's kind of hard to find on the web. The only thing I found was Euroleague.net which charges like I think 60 Euros (kind of like a league pass) to watch. I'm not going to watch that long so I was looking for something better.

I wonder if anyone here knows any free websites or steams to watch replays of NBA draft prospects (pretty much our Rockets center prospects) like Kanter, Valanciunas, or Lucas Nogueira?

3. worzel gummidge

There's always a site you can watch "from sport" ;) 2nd half just started.

The L.Rytas-Panathinaikos game is on Youtube. It's split into 8 parts. Here's the first:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/766H-JaumXI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

wow, great post :cool:

5. markus4040

markus4040 Member

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to follow these guys as well. :)

6. anchel

anchel Member

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=162

Valanciunas won't last long in Europe.

He was born in 1992 but plays like a 27 y.o. man. Doesn't commit mistakes, at his 19 takes always the good decision at both sides. Plays hard and smart like a veteran.

His physical potential is just scary (Varejao/Splitter are nothing next to him), that frame, the athleticism, the natural strength, the foot speed... He's also coordinated, and everybody talks about his maturity and good head.

In principle I'd forget about him, you won't see him with a 14-16th pick, but if Daryl is able to move up, he's a suitable prospect for being the future center of your franchise.

7. Valio!

Valio! Member

hmmm.. will be in Vilnius soon. Will have to check out Lietuvos Rytas.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Kanter does not play in Europe. Noqueira plays in a youth team. The only one that plays in Euroleague is Valanciunas and he is a project for down the road.

He's a very good rebounder with excellent length and a good finisher, but his offense is raw and he is a horrible defensive player. He gets bullied and pushed around by literally every player he plays against in Euroleague.