1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberalism Has Nearly Destroyed Black America...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Elbert Guillory: “Liberalism Has Nearly Destroyed Black America, And Now It’s Time For Black America To Return The Favor”

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1-s0LL_1Vk0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Republican state senator Elbert Guillory of Louisiana, who recently switched from the Democratic party, has announced the creation of a new political action committee with the goal of electing black conservatives. Guillory will serve as honorary chairman of Free At Last PAC, which purports to promote "Republican values in all communities."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...pac-black-conservative-candidates_742608.html

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Republicans might have more of a chance if they didn't have known bigots in their Justice departments and specifically the civil rights division.

The Republicans might have more of a chance if they didn't express a desire to keep blacks from voting.

Those kinds of things don't encourage black voters to go Republican.

3. Major

Major Member

Did I miss the period where Black America was thriving before liberalism destroyed it? :confused: Can you clarify when that was? Maybe that era when they couldn't vote? Or didn't have equal rights? Maybe the days of the lynchings? Slavery?

2 people like this.
  4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

you missed the part where black america almost caught up to white america after the strongest period of welfare state politics---

before crack cocaine wiped those gains out.

Freakonomics has a great section on this.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You mean if more blacks voted, we'd have more black politicians?

SHUT UP!!

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The only path forward for our nation is the UTTER DESTRUCTION of this Republican Party

Hey! Inflammatory rhetoric is fun!

1 person likes this.
  7. Raven

Raven Member

Black prosperity was directly tied to unions. When organized labor started to die out, opportunities for Black advancement into the middle class went along with it. Removing trade barriers has hurt all of America, but especially Blacks who have been financially devastated by free trade and outsourcing. Next comes immigration from Latin America sucking up what few jobs are left, and now Blacks can't even find menial labor work, because corporations prefer hiring illegals.

Next comes the drug war and gang warfare. Then comes millions of Black kids growing up without a father because dad is doing hard time over a petty crime. And to wrap it up, gangster rap became the preferred medium to express anger over the declining state of Black America, which only made a bad problem worse.

To blame liberalism is nothing more than right wing trolling, but there is a grain of truth to it. When the Democratic Party abandoned job protection, it was a dagger in the back to Blacks, and they have never truly recovered.

And how is a Black Republican going to help? By voting to lower minimum wage or to block health care reform or slash the education budget or perhaps they will help by supporting more necessary military interventionism, so Blacks can get chewed up in the middle east?

8. Raven

Raven Member

Correction, I meant more unnecessary military interventionism.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

IF MY WORDS ARE THIS LARGE, THEY MUST BE IMPORTANT!

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pretty Darn Accurate

Rocket River

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

FDR saved the depression era blacks of the working class. Republican directive at the time of non-action was directly affecting the prosperity of blacks above all else because they were the poorest and were the most affected by the depression.

What have Republicans done for black america? Set up more barriers, attempted to hedge away more opportunities, and maintain their stonewalled bigotry across every judicial, executive, and legislative sphere they had influence over.

12. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

What an original idea. Welfare killed the black family. took responsibility from black men. never heard that before. The thing that the idea totally ignores is that slavery specifcally was designed to destroy the black family . now i will admit i dont know if the black family structure improved post slavery but i doubt it.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EYjZTBdF0VI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think a G-5 country can stay that way without ever expanding free trade; and I don't know enough to compare the rehabilitative value of flexible versus mandatory minimum sentencing, but I don't think keeping drugs legal makes benefit black or poor communities in any way.

I think economic and residential gatekeepers were just reluctant to include blacks in a lot of the new developments and opportunities that made the information and service-based economy we have to today. Blacks didn't get poorer so much as whites got insanely better educated, wealthier and got first dibs when we doubled our educational, commercial and residential infrastructure since World War II.

White bureaucrats (institutional, not governmental) don't seem to have pro-actively or consistently included or accepted blacks in the same arenas until the '70s and '80s. There were also some housing, entitlement, educational and philosophical failures from '64 onward by liberal cultural and political leaders that probably both re-emphasized black identity and kept blacks in homogeneous urban settings longer than they should have been. I think as historians more finely audit the post Civil Rights era from riot to riot ('64 - '92), white flight, small scale one-on-one discrimination and black culture and philosophy will get a little more scrutiny and condemnation.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Actually, I think it's nice to see a unifying factor between the lines here. I'm serious.

The dude is now old enough to act like a cranky-ass republican voter or politician. Being really old, conservative, and negative about everything can trump race, as long as you've had the privilege to somehow advance to a relatively comfortable economic status, (despite the destruction of your ethnic group).

My old white relatives approve of this thread!

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There was non-fiscal common ground between blacks and conservatives/Taft Republicans in the '40s and '50s: pro-military, religious, not overly enthusiastic about birth control, women's rights or communism. If they'd only guessed that younger and non-Southern whites would flip on every single one of those other social issues ten years later, Civil Rights might have been a fair enough trade for black votes.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Blacks can't count on Democrats, but they know they can't count on Republicans. This doesn't mean the GOP should start supporting AA or back away from voter ID, but they should at least pretend to show some concern over improving the lives of Black people that doesn't tie into the BS corporate agenda, to hold one position that will help Black America that Wall Street refuses to rubber stamp, such as raising minimum wage or support tax incentives to open manufacturing plants in Black majority cities or increasing the education budget or cracking down on pawn shop gouging or force fast food chains to serve healthier food or something - anything - just a tiny effort to show Black America that they give a ####.

Sorry for the long sentence.

;)

18. itstheyear3030

You do realize that half of the things you listed are generally things that are done at local level politics right? For instance, federal tax rates constitutionally cannot vary among states, so incentives have to come from city/state taxes. Given that black majority cities tend to lean democratic, there's not really much the GOP can do. And this is coming from someone that generally disagrees with GOP policies and attitudes.

Additionally, some of your points conflict. For instance, though you want to increase the availability of manufacturing jobs, raising the minimum wage generally hurts low-skill workers such as those who would take those jobs. Those who open the plant may decide to install a robot to do the work of people if the cost is cheaper than human salaries (and in fact the majority of manufacturing job loss since the 1980s has been attributed to technological development rather the much maligned "outsourcing.") Which should the GOP do?

Finally, are you really suggesting that Americans should be subsidizing manufacturing plants (that probably would not survive otherwise) primarily for the benefit of black people? How do you justify this at all, particularly in a time of economic depression?

19. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Very interesting. I will look into this more, since it caught my attention.