1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Letters from dad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You tugged on my heart strings, man.

Congrats on finding the strength to reach out and establishing communications with your real Dad!

I hope everything works out for you and him. That's a tough situation to be confronted with it sounds like.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Touching story and you are very brave.

It takes a lot for a kid to forgive his father and reach out to him.

My father grew up without his dad and reached out to him when I was little.

If not for you, do it for your kid since every kid should get to meet their grandparents

3. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Thanks for posting and good luck. While most father/son estrangement stories follow somewhat along your lines, I am experiencing the opposite. My grown son has made some bad choices. When I called him on it, he got mad and no longer communicates with me. I think eventually we will mend fences, but it takes two to tango. :(

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sorry to do this in public but can you recommend a counseling group? My SO grew up without her dad and I think this would help.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thanks and I am glad you have been getting counseling because I know how you grew up with those same questions and it really does take a toll on you when you become an adult and suddenly have to live with the burden of it.

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moes, I know we've talked about this already, but thank you for sharing. Going through a similar thing myself, and it's always reassuring and helpful to hear from someone who has gone through the same.

Finalsbound - thanks for sharing. Hope all is well.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ever consider legally adopting him? If the sperm-donor signed away his rights, I would think it would be a pretty easy process.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Heh. Sperm-donor is one way of putting it.

Yeah I'm open to it. I don't want to force it on him though, if he expresses interest in it, then I would be glad to. He's almost a teenager now so he's getting closer to the age where can start making some decisions for himself.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did he score on a TE hot route? I dominated in junior high football on that play.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Basically yeah, the coach had him lined up behind the tackle and told him to pretend to block for a second and then he released, the QB hit him and he ran about 7 yards to paydirt.

It was awesome.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Great story mate. Very well written and extremely touching.

Nice of you to give the man the respect he deserves and your willingness to rekindle the relationship.

Congrats and best wishes

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thanks for sharing.

Life is so full of regrets where we second guess ourselves. I applaud you for being courageous in trying to reach out to your dad, a seemingly easy task that is often very difficult for many.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's great and uplifting to read stories like that.

15. likestohypeguy

16. the shark

the shark Member

Beautiful story and thanks so much for sharing this.

Your father has been through quite a bit (as have you), and now you have a better understanding of his journey. He's a strong man, and it looks like he passed that DNA along to you.

Your story is truly inspirational, and shows that by the grace of god of anything is possible. Please keep us updated.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Moe's, much respect man.

My wife went through something similar, albeit different. Long story short, her parents split when she was young, like you. Her mother had a deep seeded resentment towards him, and it reared its ugly head the older she and her brother got. She grew up 15 miles from her dad and didn't see him for 10 years.

As our relationship evolved, I knew that a chunk of my wife, deep down, was wounded by this lack of relationship. I kept subtly trying to push her to try and salvage it. I could tell it was eating at her.

What ended up happening was that her dad ended up moving to Chicago. Two weeks before he moved, she realized it may be her last chance to see him again, so she contacted him. She was no longer worried about what her mother and stepdad would think.

They had a long, emotional talk in my dining room while I sat in the living room, as she wanted me to be close by. It was emotional. Extremely so. What happened? Basically, a misunderstanding. What I saw was this man and his daughter who had wanted a relationship with each other for ten years, but somehow, somewhere it got messed up.

When her brother heard she had seen their father, he agreed to see him too. He said he was angry at his father because he was trying to protect his sister.

Now, they are still rebuilding, but they get along pretty well. We'll see them this Sunday.

All in all, my wife and brother in law met their 11 year old half sister, and now have that relationship they've been missing.

Like I said, that's the short version. Sorry It was long.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn mo, that was amazing

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WOW Moes - good luck..it is never too late.

DD

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I lost my dad this year. Sounds like you found your dad, or your dad found you. I hope you can cherish the time together and fully reconcile.