1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk NT's

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobbythegreat, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Right now everyone in the world is freaking out about the first overall pick, should we go Bridgewater, should we go Clowney.... Instead, I suggest we talk about a long ignored position for the Texans, NT.

Now that we've made the switch to Romeo Crennel, we will need the big, bulky NT that a large portion of us have wanted for years. Who do we go with?

Louis Nix? DaQuan Jones? Ryan Carrethers? Daniel McCullers? Zack Kerr? Beau Allen?

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair considering he would be damn near perfect if he managed to make it to the 2nd round, but what do you do if he doesn't?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Crenell said he wasn't necessarily going with that scheme. If he is... we have a **** ton of personnel work to do on top of plugging the holes we already have.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How so? If we stayed in a 3-4 all we'd really "need" is a competent pass rushing OLB and a NT.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Louis Nix would be an instant fan favorite. Amazing player, better person.

Only way I could see snagging him is trading back from #1.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I also really really like the idea of reuniting JJ Watt and Beau Allen, he's a huge kid with a high motor and he can be had in the middle rounds.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I agree because there is no way he will last to the 2nd round. Nix is the most surefire defensive player in this draft IMO...

9. Remii

Remii Member

Anyone of those guys is better than what we have now which is nothing...

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texans met with Ra'shede Hageman @ the Senior Bowl. If for some reason he drops to the top of the 2nd round, I'd bet on him. He has a lot in common with Dontari Poe, who was a Romeo Crenell project in KC.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's interesting, he's taller than you want NT's to be and he's lighter than you want them to be, especially if you plan to 2 gap them.

I don't see the comparison to Poe because Hageman is 6'6 311 and Poe was 6'3 346, I guess you are just talking about the athleticism side, but he'd need to bulk up to be a good NT IMO. His height will hurt him and make him easier to move.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I love being a nose tackle.&quot;

We went 1-on-1 with <a href="https://twitter.com/LATechFB">@LaTechFB</a>'s Justin Ellis.

MORE: <a href="http://t.co/3Q93BScD6s">http://t.co/3Q93BScD6s</a> <a href="http://t.co/lRIe18fv0K">pic.twitter.com/lRIe18fv0K</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/statuses/430814614293454848">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that it really matters that much, but I've also seen him at 218. And 220 plus. I also think he could still add weight to his frame. He was a TE until recently.

The similarity is both are considered extremely athletic - possibly top at their position in the draft, both are boom or bust, both are underachievers, both are raw, and both are extremely polarizing among among scouts, who love them or hate them.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Romeo could be looking at him for a DE in a 3-4 system...