1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My in-laws have an XC60 too. Great car. Probably out of my price range though.

2. TL

TL Contributing Member

Has anyone used swap a lease (or any similar service)? I need a third car in another city for a few months, and don’t want to deal with renting a car every week. I was thinking about grabbing a swap a lease near expiration and just riding that out.

Just curious if there are any pitfalls I should keep in mind. Thanks!

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Was thinking of a RAM truck and would go Hemi and 4x4. I actually like their uconnect system (rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Colorado for a few days).

I liked the way the new dodges look, but was thinking of going used too if I could find the right now. Seems the ram's are definitely cheaper than the ford's and chevy's, but maybe that's because of the reputation and/or results from not being as reliable.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If anyone is interested in a well done documentary about the VW dieselgate scandal check Dirty Money on Netflix. It's like an alternate history where Adolf Eichmann, Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler, Mengele, and Hitler all run a massive auto company and do whatever it takes to make VW #1 in the world.
    _______

Netflix has a new series, Dirty Money, and its first episode, “Hard NOx” from Director Alex Gibney, is disturbing. Why should this be of interest to Tesla fans? Because it shows the lengths to which legacy automakers will work to maintain a fossil fuel future. You might’ve read something about Volkswagen, the world’s biggest automaker, embroiled in an ever-expanding Dieselgate crisis. But, as bad as it is, it’s actually far worse than many suspected.

Car and Driver reports, “Alex Gibney’s Dirty Money series, which first aired on Netflix… described [VW’s experimental] test as initially intended to expose a person pedaling an exercise bike to diesel fumes. The researchers intended to ‘poke and prod that person later to determine what type of health effects they would see from this person being gassed,’ said Michael Melkersen, a Virginia lawyer suing VW.”

Did VW really gas humans to prove their innocence in Dieselgate? Allegedly. But originally, “the proposed human test subject was abandoned in favor of 10 monkeys… placed in airtight chambers and shown cartoons as they breathed fumes from a 2013 VW Beetle TDI running on a dynamometer. The comparison vehicle was an older diesel Ford F-series truck. Volkswagen indirectly paid [$730,000] for the study.”

Not surprisingly, VW is working to delay trials related to the issue. Nevertheless, Volkswagen admitted in a legal statement to the New York Times, “The scientific methods used to conduct the study were wrong. Animal testing is completely inconsistent with our corporate standards. We apologize for the inappropriate behavior that occurred and for the poor judgment of individuals who were involved.” Ummm, yeah.

Furthermore, “another damning aspect of the revelations is that VW allegedly planned to use the study as part of its wider plan to manipulate emissions. The Beetle TDI was performing in the engine computer’s test-bench mode, according to the documentary, which was programmed so that the car would emit far less nitrogen oxide than it would while being operated normally on the road. The mode allowed the car to pass emissions regulations and is the cheat at the center of Volkswagen’s diesel-emissions scandal.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/09/watch-dirty-money-netflix-vws-dieselgate-worse-think/

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I think the reputation has hurt them, but with that said, if you find a good deal 4x4/hemi it's definitely a lot better than anything else they make. Depending what year you get just do a few searches on Google/various Dodge RAM forums and you'll get an idea if it's a good deal. For trucks I prefer chevy/ford/Toyota (no order/ranking), but with the right price and research I think a RAM is certainly worth considering. Especially if you get the options discussed, a 4x4 will always hold its value, especially with a well maintained/powerful engine.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I recently sold my Toyota 4Runner as part of my plans to work remotely and travel the country extensively as a van dweller to help get my kids out of college without too much debt.

My daughter goes off this year and my son goes off in 2 years so I have 2 years to build out my tiny house in wheels to fit my nomadic needs.

Reading the comments about dodge/fiat I’m glad I chose the Ford 350 Transit Extended with the high roof over the Dodge Promaster.

I love driving this Ford with the 3.5 eco boost engine. It’s a large vehicle but it moves and stops much better than the dodge did. First Ford I’ve ever owned but I’m super happy with it. Now to finish insulating it, plan my solar and get busy building it out.

NateNate, Bandwagoner and CCity Zero like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You plan to get some fake company logos on there to go total stealth mode in the molester van?

What's your vent plans?

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The base Model 3 with the premium package and auto pilot (best thing ever) comes out to $45k plus tax and title. Any color besides black is $1000. 19" sport wheels are $1000

$7500 tax credit for most people that reserved but people that order now would still probably get 1/2 or 1/4 of that. Free nights plan so gas savings are 100%. Most bang for your buck. A car that pays for itself, still holds value and is miles ahead tech wise.

If that's too much, I would wait for a pre-owned one (will be a while since base models don't start being delivered until later this year). I love mine to death.

#108 sammy, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It’s already pretty stealth. If I had a dollar for every “down by the river” or molester joke I could retire today. Down by the river I can see because Chris Farley was hilarious.... molestion is just never funny in my opinion. Not picking on you its just old.

I have a maxx air fan for ventilation and I plan on chasing 70 degree temps so hoping to avoid adding roof ac that would need shore power. I’d like to be as self contained as possible.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

This is pretty cool. What type of work are you planning on doing remotely if you dont mind me asking?

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I work in marketing for a large PC manufacturer in the Austin Area :) I already work remotely and can work anywhere I have wifi so I plan to continue that as well as traveling the country doing (and hopefully teaching meditation and yoga). I have a passion for yoga and meditation but it doesn't pay as well as a corporate marketing job. :)

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been looking at the Civic hatchback (the Touring model looks outstanding) because we have a 76 pound Labradoodle and would prefer that she not ride in the backseat. I wish the Accord had a hatchback model. They did for years (we had 2), but haven't for a very long time. Maybe down the road. Aside from interior size and ease of getting in and out of the back seat when you are our age (and why would we?), the main difference I saw is that the Civic doesn't come with electronic noise reduction using the sound system. So my question is obvious, I guess. Does it have a quiet ride, particularly at highway speeds?

13. NateNate

NateNate Member

WOw very interesting. You should start your own thread. Would love to hear about your journey. The good, bad and ugly

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I didn't make a molester joke, I called the van molester van. No one knows what a panel van is, secondly I like vans and don't make fun of them.

VooDooPope likes this.
  15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It's cool. I wasn't trying to pick on you and know you didn't call me a molester... it's just odd that the first thing a lot of people say when they see or hear about someone wanting to live in a van built out like a tiny house on wheels is some joke about living in a van down by the river (which doesn't sound like a bad thing to me :) and/or abducting/molesting kids (which sounds like a horrible thing anyway you slice it).

I do plan on a roof rack and solar and maybe adding a few windows which hopefully will transform it from "molester van" to "adventure vehicle" but I doubt it will ever do anything to quell the down by the river jokes which is fine by me (RIP Chris Farley).

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I will once i get a little more done and it feels thread worthy.

marky :) and NateNate like this.
  17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Are you planning to work within your van with an internet setup? I also second the idea of creating your own thread on this.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I am. I'm trying to plan out how much solar and battery power I need and how to best fit everything in that I want to have. Also trying to figure out if the wife is coming with me or not because that changes some of the arrangements I'd want to make. I think she may be a part time traveler and most of the time I'll be flying solo.

I'll pull a few photos together and start a thread soon and then just update it over the next couple years as I build things out. I didn't think there would be any interest here but thanks. I'm happy to share my experience along the way with my fellow clutch fans.

K LoLo and marky :) like this.
  19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have the 2019 XC40. It's definitely a great alternative to the XC60. Has some really great features. Loving it so far.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t bother me. I also typically have the radio going but it really isn’t a nuisance. I actually did think going from a truck to a car would bug me, road noise. The worst part about it has been proud truck owners making the same rock-hitting-your-Butt joke.

Well that and speed bumps lol...

Yeah it’s easily the best, most comfortable ride I’ve driven.

Deckard likes this.