1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's flex the Texans into primetime

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm seeing more and more, "Let's get this kid in primetime!" sentiment, and rightly so. So I thought I'd take a look at how viable it is that the NFL flexes the Texans into Sunday, Monday or (ugh) Thursday Night Football.

The NFL can, essentially, flex freely for Sunday Night Football (NBC), effective this week. Monday Night Football flexing starts *next* week (week 12). Thursday Night Football flexing starts week 13.

The NFL must give teams 12 days notice. Looking at the upcoming TNF?SNF/MNF match-ups:

WEEK 12 (JAX @ HOU)
    SNF: BAL @ LAC (won't be flexed)
    MNF: CHI @ MIN (will 100% be flexed)

The Texans/Jags are going to be in the mix for that MNF slot, unfortunately, it's a week of good match-ups: PIT @ CIN; KC @ LV; BUF @ PHI.

WEEK 13 (DEV @ HOU)
    TNF: SEA @ DAL (won't be flexed)
    SNF: KC @ GB (unlikely to be flexed; they'll be reluctant to move Mahomes out of prime time);
    MNF: CIN @ JAX (probably won't be flexed)

No flex likely, anyway - but Texans/Broncos is a dog match-up so it wouldn't have a chance.

WEEK 14 (HOU @ NYJ)
    TNF: NE @ PIT (Steelers are a big draw so this is a maybe...)
    SNF: PHI @ DAL (won't be flexed)
    MNF: TEN @ MIA + GB @ NYG (neither match-up great - though MIA may not be flexed)

JAX @ CLE is a possibility, as is SEA @ SF, to take T/MNF slots. I think both of those match-ups would get priority over HOU @ NYJ - unless... that game marks Aaron Rodgers' return, in which case, it will absolutely be flexed into MNF. But even w/o Rodgers, HOU @ NYJ might be in play for TNF as Stroud in NY would be a big kick.

WEEK 15 (HOU @ TEN)
    TNF: LAC @ LV (won't be flexed)
    SNF: BAL @ JAX (DAL @ BUF on table - but Fox may balk at losing that game; I don't think this game gets flexed)
    MNF: KC @ NE (Hmmm... Again, I think they'll be reluctant to move Mahomes out of prime time - but it's a dog match-up.)

The Titans are not being flexed into primetime.

WEEK 16 (CLE @ HOU !!!)
    TNF: NO @ LAR (will 100% be flexed)
    SNF: NE @ DEN (will 100% be flexed)
    MNF: LV @ KC (won't be flexed); NYG @ PHI (unlikely to be flexed); BAL @ SF (won't be flexed)

This is the big one. The Texans are 100% getting flexed into TNF or SNF. The only other viable match-ups are DET @ MIN (CLE/HOU better) and DAL @ MIA (unless Fox has a block left, I would guess this is getting SNF)

WEEK 17 (TEN @ HOU)
    TNF: NYJ @ CLE (unlikely to be flexed)
    SNF: GB @ MIN (very likely to get flexed because there are better match-ups)
    (No MNF - Jan 1)

Again, they're not flexing Tennessee into prime time, and there are some great match-ups this week (MIA @ BAL; PIT @ SEA; CIN @ KC)

================

TL;DR
    I think there are three viable flex weeks for the Texans: week 12 (JAX); week 14 (@ NYJ); week 16 (CLE). And I would bet big money on week 16 being flexed.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think the Browns game will get flexed if Miami vs Dallas stays on Fox. Like it or not that is the sexier game. But I’m ok with our noon games tbh.

#2 percicles, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Week 16 is Christmas weekend, does the flexing work the same for SNF? There are nationally televised games Sat, Sun and Monday that week.

NBC has a Sat 3:30 game that week (CIN/PIT) and the Sunday night game is on NFL Network (Christmas Eve - NE/DEN). Seems unlikely that they would flex and NFL network game but the TNF (Saints/Rams) might be on the table.

Mr.Scarface and Hey Now! like this.
  4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Man they can keep the dog and pony show for now. 12 on Sunday works perfectly fine for me. Thursday games suck for players and I would hate waiting for a Monday night game. That stupid European game is around the corner also.

Blatz and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Ugh. I did not catch that that was Christmas weekend! I don't know if the rules are different for Christmas Eve/night? That Thursday match-up, I would think, is fair game. And if so, I think CLE/HOU is going to take it. Both NBC games on Saturday are good match-ups.

Given Christmas Eve viewership is probably low, they may not flex any good games into that slot. And I don't think they'll disrupt Christmas day/night, as a) those are all fairly good match-ups; b) I would assume those get locked so teams can prepare accordingly.

#5 Hey Now!, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Thursday Night Football cannot be flexed.
    It causes unplanned short weeks. I

red5rocket likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

I'm a dawg. I like my routines. I need my routines. Don't need primetime. 12 pm is perfect just give us a top two broadcasting crew.

ROCKSS, DonnyMost, Red.Glare and 3 others like this.
  8. Hey Now!

Not true. They can flex Thursday Night Football weeks 13-17. I believe Amazon is restricted to two - but it can absolutely be done.

9. Hey Now!

We're definitely going to start seeing better crews here for a few of the games - that's for sure.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

It's new this year, and yes, they can do it twice

Hey Now! likes this.
  11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sunday 3pm is where I’d like to see every game flexed to.

Nick and Hey Now! like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How did Houston not get a thursday night game? I thought all teams got a week on thursday.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I guess Amazon paid for that right. Used to be a firm no.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I guess that changed when Amazon paid big bucks for Thursday night games plus they gave them two flex options.

15. Qan

Qan Member

Rather avoid Thursday games. Thanks.

crose likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they may not flex out of a Bears game, they like the Chicago media market

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

CBS and Fox still have a huge say in allowing which games they could release to get flexed.

The Texans have played plenty of SNF, MNF and TNF national games in their history... they've only played ONE 4:15pm national marquee game in their existence, and that was back in 2012 vs. the Broncos (where every Broncos game seemingly got the #1 national crew, much like almost every Chiefs game now gets that).

I think it would be a much bigger accomplishment to get one of those games vs another SNF/MNF/or TNF game. In many weeks, the 4:15 game is the true "best game of the week".

DonnyMost likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am fine with noon games, its a great way to start the day

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Could be for 1st Place in the division