1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let Yao play his game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Nov 19, 2003.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

After watching this game, Yao looked like his touch returned. Yao's fg% went down drastically during the pass few games when he was in transition to an aggressive style of game. Yao's game is a finesse game, forcing Yao to play shaq's game may not work for yao. Shaq is a physical monster that throws people out of the way and we know Yao can't do that. One of the threads posted here had van gundy telling yao to just play his game and I think that's the correct call. If yao's finesse game is over 50%, why change it? If Yao can finesse 50% every game, then we'll most likely win 80% of the games. Yao is clearly taking more shots and is improving his rebounding game. Have you notice that Yao didn't tap all that much this game. Yao went up with both hands the entire game and wanted that rebound. Yao is not shaq, let Yao be Yao.

2. abliss

abliss Member

I apperate the attitude in this poster.
    Let Yao do the Yao things.
    I am sick of people bashing players.
    Today's a win is a lucky win.In the game, there were a lot of guys in the thread to bash everyone, Yao , Steve, Mobley.
    Stop doing that.
    Everyone will make a mistake sometimes, but sometimes anyone can be the clutch player.
    Today I give reward to Yao & Cato plays in the 4th quarter.(Oh, I forgot the 2fts by yao, they were not good).

3. TxCowboy96

TxCowboy96 Member

Just not that but Yao practically OWNED the 4th quarter despite the fact he missed 2 crucial free throws. But he had what? 15 pts out of the 21 pts that quarter. Now he just needs to do this on a consistent basis. He is coming around and learning his way through. He has only played 11 games of Van Gunz ball!

4. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Guys - a big difference. Yao was not being doubled hardly at all in the 4th against GS. They were daring Yao to beat them and he did a heck of a job at it.

It was not a matter of the Rockets not letting Yao play his game but more of a matter of what the opposing defenses in the other games were giving Yao which were alot of double teams even before he would get the ball.

5. mulletman

mulletman Member

but at the same time, yao was definitely more physical with dampier than he has been in the past (although i thought that the past few games, yao definitely has been more aggressive in the post and in his rebounding)

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

GS thought the fourth was usually controlled by Rockets' guards and Yao was worn down.............They missed this time. :p

7. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

I think this just might be what the GS were having in their minds.

8. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Yeah, you guys noticed his stamina is way up lately? I figured if he had played 40 minutes average per game like he did, he would collapse. Especially after that 50 minute game with toronto. Yao played with fire in the 4th quarter last night. Every possession down, he posted up and wanted the ball. Yao wanted to carry the team and said he had too. This is what all the fans were waiting for, a big man to carry the team.
    Getting back to topic, Yao is perhaps a better player when he gets the ball further away from the basket. Yao has an array of moves that more effective farther from the basket like his spin moves. All he had to do is take 1 -2 giant strides and he's at the basket. Plus the defender has to give him some space because of his ability to drive and can't play him so rough. Yao's has an excellent jumper that extends to the 3 point line and his shot is at least as good as francis. If Yao has to take mid range jumpers all day, let him. He'll get 50% of them and save his energy. I watch Ewing play for years, and that's basically all he did throughout his career. Ewing's turnaround jumper was his bread and butter. The knicks won alot of games with that shot. Ewing didn't go strong as most of you think he did, he did so sometimes and the media always complained ewing didn't take it to the hole enough. How is this comparison valid you say? Well, the current rockets team is starting to look more and more like that 90s knicks team. Yao = ewing, cato = oakley, Mobley = starks (highly inconsistent and wild, great Defense) and oh yeah, same coach. Both teams had that inside dominant defensive presense. I guarantee you this team will go deep into the playoffs once they get the fourth quarter kinks out. This rockets team has more talent than the knicks team that played the rockets in the finals of 94.

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Yao has to play his game until he developed that strong center role that Ewing wanted him to become. He is a very talented players that knows when the game is down the line.

10. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

I totally agree. Let the bigman play his own game. Just get him more touches. If he plays his own game, and gets more touches i can see Yao easy averaging 23 points a game and 10 boards.

11. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Come on people, don't forget Yao was resting a long time because of foul trouble. Give credit to where it's due, Taylor did a fine job backing up Yao. Yeah, believe it or not, Taylor sure did his part that not only kept us in the game, but also helped Yao to take charge in the final minutes.