1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

let the long agonizing summer begin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gem787, Jun 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gem787

gem787 Member

i can't remember the last time i came on here where i did not have ample to read, past three days i come on here and nothing

man am i craving some rockets news , probably not the best time to quit smoking, my body can handle only so much,

my two cents about who they should get would definately be SAR AND Stoudamire and another piece for the bench if possible.

not sold on swift i have no idea why so many people like him, maybe some highlights could convince me if anyone has any.what other points out there do u guys think would gel with our team.

much props to people running clutch, please keep on posting as addicts to rockets such as myself need my daily dose or will die for sure

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

The pain dragged you out of pseudo-lurk mode? ;)

I feel it too.

3. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So props on starting another thread that nobody will read. :)

4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Well its that time of year where I start looking at mock drafts and try to predict who the Rockets will pick.

There are a couple of good draft sites out there to look at as well as plenty of good rumor sites as to who will move where. I hope the Rockets pick up a decent player in the draft, I have a couple in mind, but I doubt both of them will drop, even if they pick a foreign player and let him develop overseas or in the NBDL.

As for free agency, same as above, hopefully someone decent that can contribute off the bench.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agree on swift, but same on SAR. i mean, both have their share of negatives. why do so many people like SAR...and why does anyone think he will "gel" with the team at all? I don't think either one is really in our range as a straight FA signing, and I'd rather draft a 4 than sign SAR anyway

6. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

The summer is even worse when the Rockets get no press at all--

I did find this article---Don't shoot the messenger now-I have no idea if its accurate or not...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_12935.shtml

Bonzi Wells to Houston ?

Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram
    Basketball News Services

Trade Talk

We may as well start with the fun stuff. The offseason is all about the trade rumors, and we have our first one floating around out there. The message boards are abuzz with the idea that the Rockets might be discussing a deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, namely sending out David Wesley, Bob Sura, and some draft picks for Bonzi Wells and the number 14 pick. While the source of this rumor is unknown (it has been suggested it started with Peter "the liar" Vecsey), we can certainly see where the thinking comes from.

The Rockets would like to add size at the off guard position. David Wesley did a great job for Houston from a defensive standpoint, but he struggled to defend the bigger guards like Jerry Stackhouse, who characterize the upper echelon Western Conference teams. At the same time, the future of Bob Sura may be somewhat uncertain. Sura is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, which is fairly routine in the NBA. More importantly, it has been determined that Bob does not need additional surgery on his back. This is a positive in that it means no more surgery for Bobby, but it can also be a negative, as it means he is likely to miss a number of games when he has to rest his sore back. Sura's toughness and scrappy play make him a very important player for Houston, but then again it might make him an attractive piece for a prospective trade partner.

Bonzi Wells is a Jeff Van Gundy type of player, provided Jeff can get Bonzi's head in the game. Bonzi hit his zenith in Portland during the 2001-02 season, when he averaged 17 points and six rebounds per game. His first season as a full-time starter for the Blazers, the 2001-02 campaign saw Bonzi establish himself as one of the better defenders in the league and added a consistent three-point shot to his game. Both of those attributes would make him attractive player for the Rockets to add to their arsenal. He's the ideal player to put next to Tracy McGrady from a defensive standpoint. He guards the perimeter well, plays the passing lanes, and comes up with a lot of steals. On the offensive end Bonzi can hit the open three with regularity, but is also an outstanding player when it comes to energizing the fastbreak and finishing with authority.

There's always a downside, of course, and with Bonzi it's his attitude. It kept him from playing a significant role on Hubie Brown's team. He lost his starting role and has not been able to win it back consistently. Jeff Van Gundy has the ability to mold players, much as he did with Tracy McGrady this season, and it's entirely possible that he could coax Bonzi into being that all-out defender and 17-point-per-game performer that he was earlier in his career. If he can do that, it might be worth giving up Wesley and Sura to acquire him. That's before we even talk about the 14th pick that would supposedly come with Bonzi in the trade.

Draft Talk

What the Rockets need is pretty simple. They need a point guard and a power forward. The 14th pick could potentially land them one, while their own 24th pick might land the other. It's unlikely to be that simple, especially with the Rockets' trend of drafting players they don't need and who don't make it on the roster. The Kansas Jayhawks' Wayne Simien was the early favorite for Houston to pick at 24, but they have since been more impressed by Arizona State's Ike Diogu and high schooler Andray Blatche (280 lbs, 7'0"). Clearly the Rockets should address their need for size with their draft pick, but will they?

I have a lot of concern about the idea of drafting a point guard. The Rockets are built to win a championship now, not 3-4 years down the road. Tracy is in his prime, Yao will be there over the next season or two - the time for the Rockets to make their run is now. They won't be able to do it with a rookie floor general. They need someone like Dan Dickau, who has been around for a couple of years and has shown enormous potential. Dickau won't be first on anyone's list, but he is the kind of player who has the ability to lead his team. He played extremely well as a starter for the Hornets and looks set to have a breakout year somewhere. Why not in Houston?

We'll continue to keep an eye on who the Rockets are working out. Until then, stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD's TOTAL ACCESS for daily rumor updates and discussion.

Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram is Executive Editor for Basketball News Services, powering HOOPSWORLD.COM and Swish Magazine.

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You read it!!! :p

8. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man with all the stuff he throws up, you would think something would have to stick - the law of averages would confirm this. My advice: Rocket Guy stay away from Vegas, you have about as much luck of winning anything as Clippers do a championship.

9. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Hilarious!!!

10. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

This would be an amazing trade for the Rockets!!! Maybe we could draft Warrick with the 14 pick..

11. gem787

gem787 Member

thanks alot for that article, it was a good read any rumor article involving the rocket is a great read for me

i would love the memphis trade, sounds like we make out like a bandit on that trade without giving up anything significant, i think bonzi has the potential of being so much more given the right team.

i like sar more than swift is because i have seen him play on more that one occasion and i know he can play, score at will which i love and i don't think rahim has had players or the right team around him to appreciate his contributions on a team, with us and a winning record i think he will take his game to another level
    (i know i would perform better if it was being appreciated)/

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

That trade would be great for us. Bonzi has big time ability and could be the bold, risky move JVG suggested on AM610. His ability blows Sura and Wesley away. The team will also have the option on his contract at the end of next season. Very sweet. Throw in the 14th pick and this trade is too good to be true. We have a pretty good chance of getting an impact player with one of the two 1st round picks.

For the Grizz to do this, Bonzi's reputation must really be in tatters and they must be ready to throw him away at all costs. I remember some of Bonzi's garbage at Portland and can't stand the guy. He can really be a disruptive influence. It's hard to believe his negatives were actually overshadowed by the bigger sideshows in Portland at the time.

If JVG and staff truly feel they could make Bonzi play to his ability and not become a cancer on our team, I say do it. I don't see Jerry West making this deal though.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

When did Memphis get the 14th pick?

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

It is a typo. They have #19 as the article in hoopsworld says. 14 was mistyped into Gatorfan76's post.

15. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Don't worry, we'll see yao playing in Asian Championship this summer.:eek:
    It's good that yao delivers us basketball news EVERY summer...olymics,Asian games,Chinese national games, Shanghai city games....wow, I hope Yao never rests.:D

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The summer will be longer and more agonizing when the lockout hits, and no deals can be done.