1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Legend of Vox Machina Animated Series on Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Jan 27, 2022.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very excited to watch the series and hope that it's great.

I enjoyed watching their first 2 twitch series, though I caught most of them on Youtube after the fact. The third campaign, I couldn't make it through the first episode. Maybe I'll try later and hope that it improves. They got a bunch of new tech but did a poor job editing and directing it. It was hard to watch.

DreamShook and Cokebabies like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looks interesting, but the tone seems to be all over the place and leaning a little too jokey for my taste, will probably check it out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looks like something I might enjoy watching with my oldest. I’ll have to screen it. Cursing and blood won’t bother him but if it’s hyper sexualized it could be uncomfortable.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not sure. Depending on how loyal they are to the episodes that originally aired, there is some mentioning and crude sexual humor, but nothing too over the top. Of course what isn't over the top for some might be way over the top for others. There also could have been various changes. My guess is that it will be fairly balanced with drama and character development.

It might end up being a huge miss, but I at least have a hope. Even if I don't like it, I hope it's successful to encourage more programing like this.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched the first two episodes last night. It was good for light distracting entertainment but beyond that didn't really impress me.

One personal thing I found funny watching Vox Machina is last week I started watching Wheel of Time and Vox Machina is a pretty good send up of the self-important and self-referential stuff so often in Fantasy that Wheel of Time is full of. For example stuff like "A thousand years ago a dark force swept across the land of Blah Blah Blah but were defeated by the Heroes of some vaguely profound sounding name. Though peace reigned the Order of vaguely Celtic / Latin / Greek sounding name knew that vaguely menacing sounding dark force would return but that another Hero of vaguely profound sounding name would rise again.."

Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah. Distracting and entertaining and in no way profound. But it obviously isn't pretending to be.

The animation style wasn't my favorite. But I love the fact that it got funded through record setting kickatarter.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's pretty good. I like it. I don't D&D and I have no idea what Critical Role is. Looks like the only way to get an action animated show green lit is to be vulgar and have lots of gore.. what can you do?

Surprised you guys don't like the animation style. It looks just like Voltron and that was really good. I thought the action sequences were very well done.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The animation didn't bother me but it didn't impress me. It seemed like the typical stuff that we see in most animated action shows whether it's Invincible or the latest DC animated movie.

Further a lot of the characters and their actions seemed formulaic. When the horny bard guy started rapping I was rolling my yes at how lowest common denominator that type of move for humor was.

FranchiseBlade and DreamShook like this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The show was just okay. Nothing special, a fairly typical fantasy story with class archetypes and some twists. I feel like it didn't know what it wanted to do. Was it supposed to be satirical or serious? Scanlan's humor wasn't funny, either, and he was the most obnoxious character.

The animation didn't bother me. It was your standard Americanized anime style.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's okay, but i don't remember the last episodes i binge watched at 2x

Almost feels like an impromptu table top D&D that i think it was originally spawned off of.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve watched a couple of more episodes and I still feel it’s good for a light distracting entertainment but not much more.

12. dmoneybangbang

It’s okay. I got like three episodes left and feel no rush to finish it.

Rocket River and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Season 2 came out and it’s stepped up a notch. First three episodes are released on prime and the first episode is pretty great.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said I wasn't blown away by it but it was entertaining. WIll watch Season 2.

15. dmoneybangbang

Looks like Amazon is releasing episodes in chunks of 3s. First three episodes are pretty good as it seems like they found a better balance of comedy and drama.