1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LEGAL ACTION] Job pulled out from under my feet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasStake, Aug 2, 2013.

1. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

May 2013 - Applied for job through Staffing company. Got a call back for an interview.

June 2013 - Interviewed for the position. Got the job. Start date set for 7/24/13. Was notified I would have to apply for a TWIC card (security badge) and fork out the $130 (non refundable)

July 19, 2013 - Email from Staffing company saying there is a delay in the start date because due to weather it has slowed down of them placing the railroad track down. New start date August 5, 2013.

July 20, 2013 - I go to place of work for uniform fitting. Are notified again by the boss man our start date is August 5, 2013.

August 2, 2013 (today) - Get a phone call at 12:00pm checking in to make sure I'm still on board and will be there at 9:00AM on August 5, 2013. - - Ay 4:30pm I get an email saying everything has been postponed until November. Apologizes and yada yada.

Here's the thing. In an email sent to me on July 19, 2013 notifying me of the delay to August 5, 2013 they said starting August 5 no matter of any other delays they will start paying us for a 40 hour work week no matter what. Now I'm stuck with a $130 TWIC card I have no use for and no job to go to next week. Is there any legal action I can take? Here is the email sent to me on July 20,

And this is the email I received today,

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Do you have a contract or just the email?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It never ends with you ToyCen.

2 people like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That really sucks...but it seems like you're hosed.

5. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't think you have much ground if there is no contract.

**** mr. wilson.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wouldn't think an e-mail would be considered legally binding. You're probably SOL.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

honestly, it sounds like some company bid on a job...had to prove they had enough staffing ready (complete with TWIC cards)...and then lost the bid.

in other words, there was never really a job, just some company bidding on one.

Don't get mad about this. Call them and thank them, and say "Yes" to the above part of the email. And remind them that your still have a valid TWIC card and are ready when they are.

Unless you have a contract, I doubt very much that email about pay will help. Besides, this is an At Will state, so they can renege (euphemism for pulling the job) on that just fine, which is what they did.

This is your opportunity to remain positive and shine among everyone else who got screwed, and get hired first if this project ever resumes.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep this right here.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

They have more money than you. They can do what they want.

Best to follow heyp's advice and continue pursuing the Yorktown job.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

you could always burn down the building

[​IMG]

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You can't catch a break therefore Aliens.

13. Granville

Granville Member

Dude's career is litterally off track. Looks like he was railroaded in to buying a badge too.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was just about to say this. Deff. the weirdest/interesting threads in the hangout...

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

At the very least, he should get reimbursed for the expenses he incurred preparing to work. Personally, I think those hung out to dry should get at least a check for a couple of week's work, but that's highly unlikely. HP's suggestion is probably the best one. I would politely ask for a check covering the cost of the TWIC card.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

While I agree on principle, Deck, and not to move this in any way toward D&D... but that, my man, is some straight up mid-century FDR-style fantasy compared to current reality. We live in the America of Upton Sinclair again, and there's no way the OP will ever see a penny for his trouble here.

Would definitely add my advice to those saying: chin up, reply in a positive way, chase the job from a new angle. Grapes of Wrath, yo. Would not be the first time I think of the Joads when reading a toycen thread.

(breaks down crying into coffee)

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know. Sinclair, after taking in the incredible differences from his own time, would wonder why, with so many changes, so much remains the same.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

he was being conned from the get go and I called this in the thread asking how to quit the last job.

and that was before he posted this in the same thread

it never ends with this poster.

stop feeding him the advice he needs for figuring out how to be a grown man.

wasn't ToyCen banned for a good reason?

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You know where you can get milk for your coffee, at least.