1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#LearnToCode] Media Company Layoffs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 28, 2019.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Oh I know. I was referring to the idiot who started this thread.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not always, but in this instance, laid off "journalists" getting the "learn to code" nonsense that they said to others in different industries when they were laid off said back to them is pretty funny.....and even funnier now that they are calling it "hate speech"

BruceAndre likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is a lesson you must learn. The OP only starts idiotic threads.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you actually believe saying 'learn to code' is hate speech?

Everyone seems to agree that the media in this country is absolutely awful. Of course some people need to be held accountable and fired. This should be a bi-partisan thing

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

SCW? Not familiar. Could it be Social Construction Worker? Spanish Civil War? Sucking Chest Wound?:D

Here are some other alternatives:

SCW may refer to (from Wiki):

Now, SJW -- now I know that one. :D

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

*Some* people losing their job -is- funny. For example, that guy named Brown who used to coach for the Cavs. :D

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  7. No Worries

Social Conservative Warrior.

Or Snowflake Conservative Warrior.

Whatever works for you. :D

8. No Worries

Yes.

If you are fat and I said to your face "you're fat", that could be hate speech. It depends on intent. But you knew that.

9. Buck Turgidson

Except that's not what's happening here, it's all about changes in their marketplace driven by decreases in ad revenue.

Maybe Trump should start making empty promises to "save" their industry too?

Nook likes this.
  10. tallanvor

your definition of hate speech is being mean?

why is ad revenue down?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. No Worries

No. it is being hateful. But again you knew that.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, wait, is someone actually saying that? That's hilarious.

13. tallanvor

'hateful' is a synonym for 'mean'. Your definition for hate speech is being mean.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/hateful

you should probably google what hate speech is . Its not 'speech that is hateful' .

#33 tallanvor, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    jcf likes this.
  14. tallanvor

his example:

If you are fat and I said to your face "you're fat", that could be hate speech. It depends on intent.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so statements of fact are now "hate speech"? I don't know who you are talking with about this, but the fact that I can't see suggests that they are a mindless troll.....so maybe they don't actually believe any of that nonsense and are just trolling you.

Also, "hate speech" isn't a real thing in countries that legitimately have free speech so I don't know why that ridiculous phrase keeps getting thrown around as if it truly means anything.

16. No Worries

Your point is that the group "journalists" is not a legally protected group wrt to hate crimes?

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yall are forcing me to agree with talanvor and dachuda. Delighting in the minor misfortunes of journalists isn't hate speech.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm not shedding a tear for Buzzfeed and Huffington Post. Maybe they should try real journalism if they want to be a journalist.

Nook and Cohete Rojo like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, siding with talanvor and dachuda if you feel inclined, but as someone that has competed with HP and Xerox for years, I would never celebrate layoffs at their companies. Its not a "minor misfortune" to be laid off... especially when its an entire industry (something like 60% of the media reporting industry has been downsized over the past decade). It impacts not only the reporter, but their family as well.

btw, its interesting to see this long debate that was started by someone on twitter claiming someone other person on twitter had their account temporarily suspended for "abusive behavior". Little context of the story, or the past history of the people involved. But the person was happy ultimately, "because they got their message out". Since that was the most important thing...

Seeing how people here act... I can't imagine what possesses people to post things to upset people. Heck, even here we have people getting banned/suspended/etc. I can't imagine what would cause someone to want to write or say something that would get themselves banned from a discussion board.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well not just that but giving those "journalists" the same advice they gave others who were laid off in the past shouldn't be considered "hate speech" even if you believe there is such a thing to begin with.....and if it is, then maybe those "journalists" should have been fired back then for "hate speech" right?