1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LAST GAME OF SEASON: IF we had a chance to help Utah into the Playoffs, but knock Lakers out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 10, 2013.

?

Would you rather?

1. Help Utah into Playoffs by beating LA

308 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. Help Lakers into Playoffs by losing to LA

59 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You can best believe that if the Jazz need a win in their last game that the Grizz will likely sit everyone. Might sign some fans to flesh out the roster if it can put the Lakers out of the playoffs and have them give up a lottery pick.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thank you for posting this reply.

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

From an NBA perspective, I would love the Lakers to make the playoffs, come on, who wants the boring Jazz to make it? The more stars the merrier

However, as a rockets fan, I would hate it if the Lakers making the playoffs means that Dwight resigns with them. Absolutely absolutely hate it. But I'm not sure how much chance the Rockets have anyway of signing Dwight.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Nobody can know the mind of Dwight, least of all Dwight.

Still, the hand wringing and finger pointing that will ensue from the media and fan base should the Lakers miss the play offs certainly won't hurt Morey's case come Free Agency. :grin:

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't like either one, but I think the Lakers have the best chance of getting knocked out of the playoffs. i hope they do.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd buy a john stockton top if it would mean the lakers miss out

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Lakers have knocked us out of the playoffs a bunch of times as well. Since 1997, the Rockets have made the postseason 8 times(not counting this year). In that span, we've been eliminated by the Jazz 4 times and the Lakers 3. So truthfully, I ain't exactly fond of either franchise. And at least the Jazz never went on to win any titles.

8. farmer_jays

farmer_jays Member

**** the Lakers!

9. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Me think players' rest for playoff is more important, don't want any injury for nothing.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

What kind of question is that, you try to win every single game and only worry about your own position (6 or 7th) and maybe if you can get an 'easier' opponent by losing you might not play certain players at the end of the game, but even that would be shameful. Especially when it's a team like LA on national TV, you try to embarrass them!

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Lakers missing the playoffs could potentially ruin them for several years if Dwight leaves. Everyone assumes they will just reload like the past, but they have a different owner now and their salary cap situation is terrible.

Seeing that happen is more appealing to me than seeing the Jazz miss the playoffs. Especially when the current Jazz don't even feel like rivals any more. No Sloan and none of the players are still there from the last time both teams were relevant in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I would rather both miss, but for this year the Lakers missing would be much more meaningful to the future than the Jazz making or missing will be.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Since Sloan left I really could not care less about the Jazz any longer. I would sport a nice grin to see the Lakers out since Kobe guaranteed they would be in the playoffs.

14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

15. StevieCrossover

Id rather see a matchup of spurs and lakers. Just makes for better ratings.

16. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

PG Brooks
    SG Anderson
    SF Garcia
    PF Jones
    C Montejunas

Your welcome Kobe

17. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Instead of thinking about the eight seed(either Lakers or Jazz) at this point, why don't the Rockets just focus on their next two or three games for a chance to catch Golden State Warriors for the sixth seed? A win over Memphis would essentially mean the Rockets wouldn't need to worry about the last game. Just win the next two, then they can rest the starters for the playoffs.

Those painful losses to the Jazz and Lakers over the years are behind us. Leave it where its supposed to be--in the past.

Just play Terence Jones and Patrick Beverley more now these last four games together with Thomas Robinson/DMo so we can see who deserves minutes in the playoffs.

18. L7N

L7N Member

we have to beat the lakers to get the Laker`s into the playoffs? that doesn`t make any sense to me

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

**** the ratings. They didn't think we were worth showing on TNT or ABC

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is the only year you'd get me to support helping Utah in any possible way. I absolutely hate Utah above and beyond all other Rockets' rivals.

That said, the idea of closing the door on LA's playoff chances after accumulating probably the most talent i've seen any team get in one offseason (Heat Lebron "decision" not withstanding) would be absolutely priceless. They are the New York Yankees of the NBA and for them to have Pau, Metta, Kobe, Howard, Jamison, and Nash, and to still miss the playoffs would be a huge embarrassment. I freaking hate that Laker team, and so badly want Kobe to eat his words, "I guarantee you we will make the playoffs". I will be pumped as hell to watch the last game of the season; maybe even more than to watch the Rockets in the playoffs. Everyone in the country who follows basketball will be watching that LA-Houston game.

also, i kind of feel bad for Utah. This is not the Jazz team of the 90s and 2000s that i learned to hate. I actually like a lot of their players. Even though i think it was a terrible decision not to make a deal at the deadline, i can respect Utah's decision to go all-in on trying to make the playoffs. Houston should do its part to reward that franchise and embarrass LA.