1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vagas/America Fishing Trip Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sw847, Mar 20, 2023.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

Hey guys

I will be making a trip to Las Vagas for a conference (3 days) this Friday and staying at Las Vagas for about a week, after which I have about 8-9 days left in America. Haven't made any plans yet. Was wondering if anyone can give me some advice in terms of surf casting fishing destinations. best baits and times?

Thanks in advance.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I bought my first fishing pole today, what do I do guys? Where is Las Vagas and how good is the fishin' there?

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From Vegas go to Zion. You won’t regret it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The best thing about Vegas, in my opinion, are the areas around it.

Sure, take a day to walk the strip if you'd like. Go downtown. It's alright.

But then, go to some national parks that are within a 4-6 hour drive. Pick out two and visit. I need to do more of this.

Vegas in my opinion, might be THE base for visiting The Parks. Flying in is relatively cheap, usually. From there, within a 6 hour drive (roughly), you have Zion, Grand Canyon (only one I've done... Can't recommend enough), Arches, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Sequoia, Joshua Tree, Capitol Reef, and Great Basin. And I might be missing a few.

Your info says you're from New Zealand. I'd put good money on the surf fishing being far better there, than a place like San Diego (which may be your best answer to your question, though I don't know much about it....hear it's pretty good). I also know the landscape and scenery in New Zealand is amazing (though I haven't been... Would love to).

BUT you're going to see things in that part of the country, and at those parks, that you'd never see in New Zealand. If you're outdoorsy at all, which I assume you are, since you like to fish, I think you're far better off exploring the parks. Get some good hiking boots and a rental car. Will probably be far cheaper, too.

Just my 2 cents.

Directed at OP @sw847 , of course, not @Ubiquitin .

Edit: just saw the dates. Sadly, I think my advice was too late. Would love to hear about OPs experience, though, as I'm always curious to foreigner's experiences in our country.

#4 Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2024 at 9:37 AM
    Last edited: May 5, 2024 at 9:43 AM