1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge to sign with Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 4, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That WOJ article was great. And highlights the important reason why LMA didn't want to come to Houston and that is because he wanted to be the "featured guy." He didn't want to be second fiddle to Harden like he was second fiddle to Lillard. That was pretty obvious if you read the tea leaves.

What is interesting in that Woj piece is how CLOSE the Suns were in the process.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The irony is that Leonard still hasn't reached his ceiling yet and has overshadowed Aldridge this season. LaMarcus would have been better served to be Chris Bosh to Harden's LeBron/Wade.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It also seems like he is bothered by other teammates receiving high-profile marketing dollars while he is ignored. Lillard's Adidas deal is mentioned in the story; can you imagine how much he would've hated being behind Harden's new Adidas deal?

The most interesting part of the story is Pat Riley inadvertently turning Aldridge toward the Spurs. The Suns were attractive to him, but they couldn't compete with San Antonio's pedigree.

5. dream2franchise

I think the people saying that Aldridge will never be "The Man" in SA are missing the point.

He didn't like being overshadowed by Lillard, he didn't want to be overshadowed by Dwight and Harden in Houston.

In San Antonio, no one overshadows anyone. Their marketing, hell their entire organisational philosophy is built around TEAM.

Aldridge doesn't care if he isn't being promoted as the man, as long as no one else on that team is ahead of him. I think that won him over.

Now...the media will test this out and definitely call this Leonard's team once Duncan retires, so we'll see how LMA reacts to all that when the time comes.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The Marcus is an odd one, I'll say that.

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn. What a great read.

I hate liking the Spurs. I just tell myself that I don't really like the Spurs. I just like things affiliated with the Spurs. I just like Popovich, who coached at my alma mater. I like Tim Duncan, because he is what I want every athlete to be. Leonard. The organization, system, and philosophy. And no doubt, it is easy for an organization to be this way when their best play has Duncan's disposition. Even Pop says it is easier when your best play is Tim Duncan.

8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

It will be Kawhi's team in the future if not already now. However, unlike Lillard he has like no personality at all. I don't even know what he sounds like. So Lamarcus will have no problem playing second fiddle this time around. 50+ wins every year for the rest of the decade.

I find it impossible to hate the Spurs.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Little media personality and no massive ego to go with it. That is the big thing. The team's best player has to live the "Team and organization first" mantra.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This made me LMAO

Riley telling Aldridge to resign with Portland on a 1+1 to be a LAME DUCK for a year and then come to Miami. LOL!!!! yeah, that was going to happen.

Riley, no shame.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

that is the irony, Kawhi has been by far the Spurs best player this season and he's only getting better. It's sickening the Spurs ability to develop superstars.

Just look at the numbers along with DPOY level defense.

22 points on 17 shots, shooting 52%, 35% from 3, 7.5 rebounds, 1.5 stls 1.5 blocks.

His next area of improvement besides shooting 40% from 3 is passing the ball better and getting more assists. Once he's doing that he will be in the convo for top 5 in the league.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So Aldridge's only reason for not coming here was basically that he didn't wanna be Chris Bosh.

But he's basically that in SA.

Ah well.

13. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Sometimes I feel like the Rockets need a better "salesman" in the FO. I still don't quite understand how they let Josh sign with the Clips instead of here, especially given DMo's back issues. Josh would, in all likelihood, be our starting PF right now instead of playing 15 min off the bench for LA.

Signing Dwight seems more like the exception than the rule. Then again, I don't get to sit in on those meetings so I really have no idea, lol

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I always thought that Aldridge had Hakeem-like offensive skills but a T-Mac-like work ethic. So glad he never signed here.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Hakeem like offense?

As in he can shoot jumpers?

Because Aldridge has no post up game other than that turn around jumper.

A skinnier Karl Malone or KG would be more like it.

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

When he was with Portland, he showed signs of that step back turnaround jumper like Hakeem. I always thought if he wanted to he could develop his post game due to his length, but he always seemed lazy to me on that.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Unfortunately looks like LMA's career peak was a godly first round series against the Rockets in 2014... of course.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Lmao da hell is this? btw Aldridge is not lazy the guy used to be a stud on the blazers team but he just doesn't fit that well in the spurs system nor is he happy If recall correctly. Hakeem like offense? i won't even go there.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

if yao was still playing in 2014, he would have still taken aldridge through middle school again.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I called this dude being overrated ages ago when everyone was singing his praises and begging Morey to sign him. LMA = good everyday regular. He is NOT a superstar.

basketballholic likes this.