1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers sign Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 23, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

he'll do more harm than good probably. I wouldn't anticipate him making it the entire season. its been the same I've learned from everything attitude for years.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can't Davis set up on the perimeter while Lebron/Howard run PnR? Not ideal, but could net good results.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why not do that with McGee, who is actually proven at it? <— rhetorical question

imo, the question isn’t *just* will Howard run a PnR like McGee and every other non-spacing C in the league, it is will Howard accept playing only when Davis sits. Lulz.

Twin towers lineups with Davis are stupid. At least Cousins was a good passer who could knock down a three, but even still, the best Davis team ever was when Cousins got injured at they swept Portland with the elite-spacer, Mirotic.

Davis should know this and embrace it, rather than saying he doesn’t want to play Center. Lebron should be the closing PF with AD at 5 ... spaced by Kuzma, Green and Avery.

#103 heypartner, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    whozee likes this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

KEWL!

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

“The gay is strong with this one”

You don’t need to fish for likes with a crude gay joke. It ain’t 2009 anymore, be better

Rokman likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dwert still seems like a bigger name in bball but in reality he is just another 6th-10th guy on the roster.

It might not even matter what he does but cool if it works out, indifferent to slightly interested though.

He might want to redeem himself as he became a bit of a laughing stock.

#106 daywalker02, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  7. likestohypeguy

I might have missed a post, but I dont think he said anything disparaging about gay people, just commenting on beard.. or is it disparaging to consider particular styles/grooming/mannerisms etc. to " look gay", bc stereotypes?

Rokman would you mind, just issue a public apology & recuse yourself from the remainder of this thread, to fix this so we can move on?

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wrong century bruh -- I think you mean 1989.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched that Dwight video and my takeaway was,

NOT GAY ENOUGH...

#109 RudyTBag, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nope, it's 2019 and Dave Chappelle is still the best stand-up on the planet, absolutely SLAYING with "crude gay jokes".

Sep11ie likes this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

My stance is that if you're going to make an offensive joke, the bar is a bit higher - gotta do better than "haha he looks gay". Even though his jokes are also crude, Chapelle at least crafts a story and is creative with his jokes.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So crude gay humor is okay, as long as you personally find it funny and creative.

Roger that...

Sep11ie likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq is just a big old jerk and bully. His only skill was shoving everyone out of the way with his big body and drawing fouls. His style was simply shove and charge. I never liked the guy.

The only thing that ever irritated me about Dwight was that he became the hack attack man and never learned to make free throws. He and James didn't gel, or they didn't want to share the spotlight. I don't blame either. Lots of stars leave for other teams for that same reason every year. After all, James left a loaded team in OKC for more individual star power and money didn't he? I have no beefs with Howard, but I sure don't want to see LeBron and the Lakers win anything again.

14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

To me, there is a clear difference in the type of joke that Chapelle and Rokman made.

In Chapelle's bit on trans people, he tells a story about being an asian man in a black body. By highlighting the absurdity of that situation, he at least brings attention to some of the frustration a trans person may feel since there is a fundamental mismatch between their body and mind.

I'm not advocating Chapelle's joke either, but his crude humor has some use because it puts you in the shoes of a trans person - through humor, you better understand a trans person's perspective. Understanding that perspective better may lead to more empathy, more empathy may lead to more compassion, etc etc.

"Ha gaaaaaay" doesn't do that at all and is childish, reductive humor imo.

I can't stop someone from posting gay jokes, but if I can at least get them to think a little bit before posting, that's a win for me.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This is how it always looks when someone that isn't funny writes about funny people, 100 percent of the time. We simply would never, ever get along. I shudder to think of your opinions on Dice, or god forbid Norm. :eek:

16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Norm is a comedic genius - great combination of wit and deadpan delivery. Brings a bit more to the table then "the gay is strong with this one". Not sure why you feel the need to defend such a mediocre joke.

All I ask is that if you're going to say some offensive ****, make it a little creative at least. Have a story behind it, use it to start a dialogue, do something. "Ha gay" is just so elementary and adds nothing to the discussion.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Vintage Dwert, last night.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

actually, it wasn't. He only got one postup.

The problem isn't if he can rebound, block and convert alley-oops and put-backs, when inspired. The problem has always been him wanting more touches/postups, because of it. The true test will be: Will he whine the more he succeeds in a Capela role, and whine about McGee starting.

And for the Lakers, a Capela role might not even work for them, because in the 4th Q, they need spacing for AD to get those touches. And McGee does the same thing, and better (hence, starting). So, Howard could get a lot of 4thQ DNPs, and never start.

Will his fragile psyche break down?

BaselineFade and IvanLCPM like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BaselineFade and IvanLCPM like this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ha, and so i watched the first half of LAL Mem (baseball is boring i want astros to win but don't really GAF about forfeiting 3-4 hours per night for it) and was about to start a thread about what exactly the **** the Lakers are doing by constantly playing MaGee and Howard next to Davis?

I thought the luxury of Davis was that you got the best c in the game and did not have to play a non shooting stiff next to him.

I'm not saying go full Tuckwagon/"Hamptons 5-guffaw" but Lebron/Davis is big enough. 3-3nDs around them should be devastating.

roslolian and heypartner like this.