1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not really. Last year's team was loved by the city.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Did you mean to say LeBron instead of Cleveland?

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not really. I mean maybe for a little while, but they still on occasion got berried on page 10.

4. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

you got me there i was referring more to tv...

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2009/11/tale-of-tape-nba-vs-mlb.html

regular season viewership is much greater for the nba as well as playoffs, the championship round is the only advantage that the mlb has in more viewers, i know the lakers where in the finals but so where the yankees...big markets in baseball tend to have their team in the championship rounds because of no salary cap as opposed to the nba where smaller markets have better chances for success such as orlando.

i mean orlando vs la or new york vs philly, thats a dream match up for the mlb only thing better would have been to have the dodgers in there instead of the phillies

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I don't understand why basketball creates less revenue than baseball and football. :confused:

Watching NBA games is fun and exciting, while watching MLB and NFL games is such a bore.

Watching baseball to me is cruel and unusual punishment!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Theres def. a reason why they call baseball AMERICAS Past Time. Way bigger following for baseball then basketball... just a fact.

7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

we don't have a star that is currently playing

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If they do improve by that 1 game they still won't make the playoffs/wild card. The Texans only care about making money. Les puts winning first.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Taking this as an absolute - )

EVERYTHING in life is escapism. If you're not reading volumes of books trying to educate yourself, not hunting or gathering food, if you're not closely raising and monitoring your child, you're doing something thats outside the essential survival aspects of living.

I told a girl who hated football that her watching Dancing With The Stars is the SAME thing as me watching sports. She said noooo its not. I said you're watching people in COMPETITION, picking a favorite, seeing them train following their progress, keeping track of the score, etc...All the reality TV stuff now is head-to-head competition. American Idol is the NCAA Final Four tournament for girls. But these people think they're more "enriched" and people who follow sports are just grunts. Well, the people that PLAY might be.... :) but not always the fans.

1 person likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not sure the way they are measuring this is quite right because they're only looking at national TV games it seems? The vast majority of both NBA and MLB games are broadcast on specialized networks like Fox Sports.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not saying watching reality TV is "life". :) Sure, going to the museum instead of the Rockets game will have more meaningful value. Writing a novel or doing paintings in a loft studio besides going on Clutchfans, okay humanities >> sports. Organizing positive community events is more rewarding.

Just that WHO's all doing all this stuff? Working on your car as a hobby is cool, but why can't we watch basketball as a hobby? Stamp collector doesnt really have a good case of having a better life over hardcore sports fan.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's your opinion... lots of people obviously disagree with you, including myself. I like watching all three sports but baseball is my favorite because it has the most suspense. The entire complexion of a baseball game can change in about one second at any time. In basketball that can only happen in the fourth quarter.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

i can only watch the astros occasionally and if they make the playoffs but i think i rather watch paint dry...just my opinion for my suspense i enjoy European soccer, i actually rather watch that than anything excluding my rockets. not many people would agree with me in the states but damn those games are intense and the crowds are ridiculous...

and oreo yeah that is just national coverage

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Where did you get this from? Why did you try to bring up the race issue?

With all due respect to you as a 99er, I have to challenge you to make a convincing case for such a conclusion.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The team is a .500 team, has hardly anybody anyone outside of Houston knows playing for them (and maybe most people in Houston don't know them, either), and they really have no shot at the playoffs. Why do they deserve to be covered?

When they were actually winning and playing over their heads, they were getting national recognition on NBA shows. They were being called "a great story", "a gutsy team", people were saying "this is what teamwork is", etc.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Also, unlike the cities in the east, the pretty weather doesnt help when the team is average. Houston is a great sports town if you're a great team or on the verge of greatness. Even with the cash cow in his best days there were empty seats.

17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Cleveland?? When did the media care about Cleveland before Lebron James got there?

Our most marketable player is sitting on the bench and even when he played Toyota Center was half packed. I think part of the problem is we don't have a player that excites the masses.

18. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Dude time for you to stop posting every single day your posts are about as good as Dan Langhi's . Guess you don't listen to to much sports talk radio because they talk about the rockets all the freaking time and every day actually. Sports radio 610 even has a weekly show with Matt Bullard, Chase Budinger, and they frequently talk with Darrel Morrey, Jason Friedman, and Craig Ackerman.

19. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

You nailed it.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the reason we aren't on the front page all the time is because we are currently sucking. :( We don't have any national TV games (except one) because we don't have any star players.

I would also like to say that Toyota Center is not a good arena, I would even say bad. It just doesn't have any character at all. Two things that would make it better: 1. Dim the fan lights, and focus all of the lights on the court. 2. Have better arena themes, like a real organ playing during the game (examples of this would be Los Angeles, New York).

Another reason Houston in general doesn't get any attention is because we are *not* a vibrant city, unlike a previous poster mentioned. We don't have any bright lights, nobody's walking downtown, everybody drives, we have all these parking lots/open fields in downtown, etc.

Most of the league's fan base are "bandwagon fans," but most of the "die-hard" fans don't have season tickets, MOST of the people who have season tickets are casual fans that have lots of money. I hate to say this, but the only team I can think of that doesn't have a half-empty arena sometimes is the... wait for it... Utah Jazz. :mad: The reason for that is because the Jazz are the only professional sports team in that city, there's nothing else to do.