1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LA County OKs $1,000 Fine For Throwing Football, Frisbee On Beaches

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

[​IMG]

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...ine-for-throwing-football-frisbee-on-beaches/

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — When you head down to the beach for a little fun this summer, county officials want you to leave the pigskin at home.

The Board of Supervisors this week agreed to raise fines to up to $1,000 for anyone who throws a football or a Frisbee on any beach in Los Angeles County.

In passing the 37-page ordinance on Tuesday, officials sought to outline responsibilities for law enforcement and other public agencies while also providing clarification on beach-goer activities that could potentially disrupt or even injure the public.

The updated rules now prohibit “any person to cast, toss, throw, kick or roll” any object other than a beach ball or volleyball “upon or over any beach” between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Exceptions allow for ball-throwing in predesignated areas, when a person obtains a permit, or playing water polo “in or over the Pacific Ocean”.

However, during the winter off-season, the new rules will be relaxed.

Officials warned that any activities that could potentially harm “any person or property on or near the beach” should not be allowed during the peak summer season.

Your kids could also end up costing you big bucks: the ordinance also prohibits digging any hole deeper than 18 inches into the sand except where permission is granted for film and TV production services only.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

[​IMG]

World Peace is going to be pissed.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not the federal government forcing this on anyone. If a community wants that to be a local regulation, what problem do you have with that? Shouldn't communities have the freedom to make regulations they see fit?

That's very un-libertarian and un-Ron Paul of you.

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

woowee! Cocteau's plan is coming to fruition in LA.

Such happy-happy people over there.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding me? Government gone wild, probably just a bunch of no-arm wrinkly b****es that never go to the beech anyway.

DD

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

still a crappy rule. There's tonnes of room on LA beaches. At Santa Monica you're crowding someone if you're within 100 ft.

FB -- is there a backstory here? My kids tossed the football for much of the summer last yr at Hermosa beach without incident. Why would it be OK to hit a volleyball but not a football or frisbee?

7. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

no back story. just find the weakest link and make that the standard.

(honestly, I don't know of a back story)

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Can we keep this on topic? This should not be illegal:

[​IMG]

By the way, Google image search "women beach football". Rep me.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know of any backstory, and I think the regulation is a horrible idea. I'm against it 100%. I'm often at El Porto, or Manhattan Beach, and sometimes at Zuma as well and have tossed a frisbee at all of them in the past.

I was just merely pointing out that according to libertarian and Paul philosophy it's up to the individual community to make up and enforce their own regulations so I wondered why hightop was upset by it at all.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

[​IMG]

OO la la REP!

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I guess the beach bowl i annually have with my friends is off

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

As someone who lost an arm after an errant Frisbee throw hit me on the beach - I proudly support this long overdue legislation.

13. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

They really need a football team.

1 person likes this.
  14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Crap, weird rule and all, this actually has direct impact on my family as we live here. This is just bad rule probably only voted for by the rich beach residents. The rest of us didn't care until it is too late now. Well, the orange county beaches will be more crowded than ever now.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This is obviously Obama's fault

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Do you mean Lebron's fault?

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder if there are certain groups of people more likely to throw a football than a "beach or volleyball."

1 person likes this.
  18. Classic

Classic Member

i wonder if there are certain groups of people more likely to go to the beach

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Like men?

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

STFU, this is sad. Are you actually wasting time drafting ordinances regarding the throwing of footballs and frisbees. When did this nation become such p*****s. I swear to God, we have to regulate every damn thing that goes on so one fricking person wont sue.